Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

So patronising!

(50 Posts)
Caramelkeg Wed 14-Jun-23 08:52:02

I've just had an ad pop up which made me seethe! "Older people love this" "they love doing (this, that and the other)" and worse of all "download this onto their phone! " Unfortunately it's not possible to leave a review without downloading the thing, and I certainly won't be doing that!

HeavenLeigh Wed 14-Jun-23 09:14:15

If I see any ads like that I really can’t get worked up about it. I just think oh do they really! And move on.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Jun-23 09:42:00

They’re just trying to sell something. Like HL I really can’t get worked up about things like that. It made you seethe? Really? Do you remember ‘Calm down dear, it’s only a commercial’?

henetha Wed 14-Jun-23 09:51:12

I try to save seething for really important things. Yes, it's annoying, but not worth raising your blood pressure for.

midgey Wed 14-Jun-23 10:03:31

But the thing is it’s not directed at you…..just to older people and we all know we’re not old! grin

Blossoming Wed 14-Jun-23 10:10:55

I did worry when Facebook started showing me adverts for funeral plans grin

Chardy Wed 14-Jun-23 11:38:54

Ageism, like racism, sexism etc is not only offensive to those it directed towards, but it's allowing others, especially youngsters, to feel it's ok to patronise certain groups of people. So yes, it's important that people are getting angry about it.

sodapop Wed 14-Jun-23 12:13:49

I get annoyed by people referring to " the elderly" we are not a breed apart just people who are older.

Theexwife Wed 14-Jun-23 12:15:19

There are older people and maybe the thing was something they would love. What is the problem?

nanna8 Wed 14-Jun-23 12:23:37

I guess young ones think the same when people treat them like daft kids. I couldn’t care less.

Hithere Wed 14-Jun-23 12:29:08

Adds are created for the target audience

I get plenty of them for my age bracket and i just roll my eyes

Gwyllt Wed 14-Jun-23 12:33:57

I did find it amusing a good few years ago on my 60th I got a phone call using my name wishing me happy birthday and asking me if I had mobility issues and could I get in and out of the bath

BigBertha1 Wed 14-Jun-23 12:42:30

Anything directed at 'The elderly' or 'older people' has nothing to do with me so I ignore it.

AreWeThereYet Wed 14-Jun-23 13:19:58

It's just a stock phrase used in advertising - probably computer generated too.

Not everyone is offended at the idea of being older anyway, or being included in particular groups. I'm certainly older than most in my road, and in my family, and at the older end in my group of friends. What does older mean anyway? Older than teenagers?

sodapop Wed 14-Jun-23 14:37:46

BigBertha1

Anything directed at 'The elderly' or 'older people' has nothing to do with me so I ignore it.

Good thinking BigBertha grin

Seagull72 Fri 16-Jun-23 12:50:47

Seventy is the new fifty. Age is just a number.

MerylStreep Fri 16-Jun-23 13:00:20

If this makes you seethe you must be apoplectic about serous issues that really affect us.

nanaK54 Fri 16-Jun-23 13:02:13

BigBertha1

Absolutely! grin

BlueBelle Fri 16-Jun-23 13:16:17

Anyone elderly is older than me !!!

Baggs Fri 16-Jun-23 13:49:32

Feeling patronised is a choice. Choose something else. Like not giving a damn.

Bella23 Fri 16-Jun-23 15:07:15

Blossoming

I did worry when Facebook started showing me adverts for funeral plans grin

I get Funeral plans on my laptop and Firms advising you to write your will don't leave you relations with a lot to do. Usually followed by a Macarthy Stone advert for retirement homes or a private hospital for hip replacements naming our town.
The worst one is how to empty your bowel overnight, I always feel like writing not while I'm asleep I hope.
I think when I was young I laughed things off more easily. Once on a night out with friends, we realised two of us had bleeps with us in case our husbands got called to work. The other woman said that she did not realise that my husband was an undertaker like hers, I couldn't stop saying NO mine tries to stop them from getting to yours. We both fell around laughing with the others I don't think I would laugh or joke the same these days.hmm

LynW Fri 16-Jun-23 16:00:32

I had an unplanned hip replacement 8 weeks ago. Just a completely random fall in a country lane but broke my femur necessitating a complete hip replacement. I’m ‘fit and active’ according to the surgeon and other doctors. The outreach service - district nurse and physio - was amazing with physio calling regularly for 6 weeks until I was deemed fit enough to continue exercises on my own. I couldn’t understand why I was getting this wonderful service when friends and neighbours who live near me and had a similar op had to be driven to their appointments. My friend informed me it was because I was considered ‘geriatric’, ha, ha. Not sure that’s entirely true as a couple of those other people are certainly older than me, but I’m not complaining. As I said, it was a wonderful and supportive service.

Bella23 Sat 17-Jun-23 09:10:53

Glad you got such good service LynW. e have a county service with voluntary drivers, who we can use to get to hospitals if you are unable to drive. I don't think it is anything to do with being Geriatric some counties are just better set up maybe ours is because the population is small.

Wyllow3 Sat 17-Jun-23 09:28:55

I get somewhat amused when watching ITV 3 at all the 'targeted' ads

biglouis Sat 17-Jun-23 09:46:54

I get targeted ads for camera, computer, business and office stuff. I seem to get ads for every auction house and courier service on the planet. Never get any funeral, will writing or care home stuff. I believe it depends on what you buy online.