Everyday Ageism

Migraine

(8 Posts)
Rosarie Wed 17-Jan-24 20:58:01

Any advice

Imarocker Wed 17-Jan-24 21:43:53

Sumatriptan.
Don’t fight a migraine, go to bed.
Try to work out your triggers eg red wine, cheese, chocolate, eggs, stress.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 17-Jan-24 21:53:17

Yes, sumatriptan. I take one as soon as the fuzziness starts. I don’t usually get the headache these days. I’ve suffered since I was five and I’m now 70! At least there are various preventatives around now and triptans can be wonderful. I don’t go to bed but try to carry on as normal.

nadateturbe Thu 18-Jan-24 01:49:20

My son gets dreadful migraine. Has passed out at times. Screams too. As soon as he feels it coming on he takes strong medication and goes to bed until it passes, sometimes for days. He had an ear pierced which helped for a while.

Summerlove Thu 18-Jan-24 03:00:17

My migraines cause vomiting so I try to take myself to bed as soon as I feel it coming. I love cold on my forehead and warm heat around my neck

coco12 Thu 18-Jan-24 07:10:09

Agree, dont fight it just go to a dark room and try and sleep it off.
I get them rarely but mine are food triggered and it's anything with iron in it. So can't have orange juice, fortified cereals like cornflakes or iron supplements. My dad was the same. See if you can figure out if it is food related.

fancythat Thu 18-Jan-24 07:29:36

I dont think mine were the same as others.
There used to be lists of triggers, and those triggers didnt affect me.

Mine turned out to be fatty foods.
[I had ended up getting two to three migraines per week, I had not properly finished one before I would get another].
For instance I could eat beef, but not minced beef.
I ended up cutting out all fatty foods[finding non fatty substitutes helped].
And then gradually reintroduced them. It took a year.
The last things to be reintroduced were creamy ice cream, and proper butter.

Nowadays, I just have to beware that my head does not get too cold. And I am not in lights that are too bright, for too long.

Hope this helps. If not you, then others.
But like I say, I dont think I am that usual in all of this.

Gwyllt Thu 18-Jan-24 08:22:26

Used to get migraines associated with periods ets
Its the evil prednisone again
Whilst on it got ocular migraines with headache. Since off steroids still get the ocular bit but doesn’t seem to be a trigger