Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite kitchen gadget?

(76 Posts)
nanafrancis Fri 13-May-11 13:19:09

if it's electrical - it's got to be the breadmaker, closely followed by the food processor.

If it's non-electric, then it will have to be my onion comb which allows me chop onions finely without the risk of added protein in the form of finger ends!

absentgrana Fri 13-May-11 14:40:28

If it's electrical, then a heavy-duty hand-held mixer.

If it's non-electrical, my newly bought knife sharpener which fits into a stand screwed into the worktop and prevents the knife from being sharpened at the wrong angle. Remember, blunt knives are far more dangerous than sharp ones.

babyjack Fri 13-May-11 14:51:29

Rice Cooker, just right every time.

harrigran Fri 13-May-11 18:14:29

Husband, he is very handy to have in the kitchen !

MrsJamJam Fri 13-May-11 18:24:28

A husband who loves cooking grin and a close second is the KitchenAid mixer which was our christmas present to ourselves. Not cheap but it is wonderful - particularly love its julienne grater for producing very posh salads

not forgetting the glass of wine in hand while creating supper ...

supernana Fri 13-May-11 18:40:53

My husband - he loves cooking and he loves me wine

milliej Fri 13-May-11 19:59:28

Grief all these women with 'kitchen husbands' I would have to say 'me' then grin I started giving my gadgets away when my daughters got their own places as we eat quite plain simple meals now....still need cooking though....by my favourite kitchen gadget....me.....wink

Hattie64 Fri 13-May-11 20:08:00

I have lost count of the various gadgets, kitchen equipment, I really had to have and bought. The majority of them are shoved into various cupboards, as I couldn't be bothered to use them. The only one I really love though is my espresso machine, I adore good quality strong coffee. I also like my digital scales, when I do bother to make a cake, which is infrequent.

mollie Fri 13-May-11 22:31:43

I love kitchen gadgets but some get used once or twice and then are left to gather dust. But my food processor, bought 32 years ago for £25, has been the best bit of kit ever! It's never let me down although I admit it has its limitations...it doesn't like heavy fruit cakes or small amounts of egg white but everything else is easy peasy...

And today I bought a second set of kitchen scales - these are digital and small and register tiny amounts so I can't get away with anything on my current diet!!!

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 13-May-11 23:44:47

I love my large Cookworks food mixer for kneading my bread dough and mixing large cakes and hand held mixer for smaller cake mixtures, cream, meringue etc. I love baking.

Worst gadget ever bought ...breadmaker. I hated it, but love making all my own bread.

Non electrical..I love my new set of 5 differently coloured/ sized stoneware mixing bowls and any sharp knife !!!
I can't imagine what it must be like to have a husband who can cook !!
The joy of having a meal made for you ...dream on !!!!!!!!!

GrannyTunnocks Sat 14-May-11 09:12:11

My husband does the cooking so I suppose he is my most useful gadget. I also love my 20 or so years old food processer. We recently got a present of a slow cooler/rice maker/steamer. Non electric I love the gadget from lakeland for taking the husks from the strawberries.

lucyjordan Sat 14-May-11 10:19:42

A Good Sharp knife.

No cook worth their salt can function in a kitchen without one.

I still have my Grandads sharp knife, which has got to be over 60 years old, and the knife my husband always used, when he cooked. This knife was always packed safely and taken on holiday with us, and both knives are wearing away slowly with being sharpened.

frida Mon 16-May-11 19:09:04

not really a gadget but I cannot cook without wearing an apron, I fell clumsy and end up covered in food, incedentaly, the apron always seems to stay pretty clean.

Snowdrop Mon 16-May-11 19:17:04

I would agree with all the comments about the best electrical gadget being a food processor.
For non-electrical it has to be good quality sharp knives.

Divawithattitude Tue 17-May-11 10:09:21

A really good set of knives I agree with you LucyJordan, I too have the family heirloom knives.

rosiemus Tue 17-May-11 13:09:18

Tricky one! Closest to my heart probably my Kitchen Aid - had wanted one forever and husband bought it for me as a wedding gift (WAY better than jewellery!!)

Actually I'd probably go for a decent garlic press otherwise - having just spent a week's holiday without one I now recall what a faff it is to chop garlic so finely without one. I am clearly easily pleased.

As for my husband - he describes himself as "the Johnny to my Fanny" - which alarms my younger friends as none of them have a clue what this means! Ms Craddock was well before their time - but I love to cook and he doesn't mind washing up (and I do!) so works a treat

Eleanorre Wed 18-May-11 22:57:31

Has to be my slow cooker I use it a lot and you just throw everything in and leave it to it's own devices.

harrigran Wed 18-May-11 23:39:53

Fanny Craddock now she was good, cooking in a posh frock and Johnny slugging the wine.

Joan Thu 19-May-11 06:11:42

Oh yes, I remember Fanny Craddock! Now, on Australian TV at least, there are scores of cooking shows - an epidemic of them. Never watch any.

My favourite thing in the kitchen is my crock pot. I like to use it when I go off somewhere for the day, knowing I won't want to cook when I get home. I guess it is slow food instead of fast food.

My son and his girl friend are getting one as they are saving to buy a house and have decided to stop eating out, opting to cook proper meals at home all the time instead.

helshea Thu 19-May-11 06:47:00

Corkscrew... no contest!

Notsogrand Thu 19-May-11 20:09:56

I'm with helshea grin

Kenwood mini chopper comes a close second.

mamasan Thu 26-May-11 19:07:14

Mine just has to be my Kenwood mixer

shysal Fri 27-May-11 09:12:03

My favourite is a potato ricer, gives me lovely lump free mash. My parents used one when I was a child and theirs was also well used. I have the heavy duty version which means larger quantity at a time, bought it on ebay.

Cagsy Fri 27-May-11 11:51:34

Ah, maybe I should try a heavy duty one, I've used mine once and it was such an effort to force the potatos through I gave up.
Knives & corkscrew get the thumbs up from me too

elderflower1 Fri 27-May-11 12:49:14

Was going to say husband but Harigran beat me to it. Unfortunately husband does not always work.