Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite kitchen gadget?

(77 Posts)
nanafrancis Fri 13-May-11 13:19:09

if it's electrical - it's got to be the breadmaker, closely followed by the food processor.

If it's non-electric, then it will have to be my onion comb which allows me chop onions finely without the risk of added protein in the form of finger ends!

goldengirl Thu 04-Aug-11 16:34:14

Talking of Tupperware. I still have the (not so) white jug. I use it a lot, but not so much as my little palette knife smile

helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 08:32:55

I still have the salt and peper stacking pots .. they were great for camping!

glammanana Sun 07-Aug-11 15:21:36

I am not one really for gadgets as I had a mum who was a Tupperware rep
and she drove my sister to distraction with all the gadgets she collected over the years,but a couple of years ago I was browsing in TJ Hughes kitchen
dept and bought a Jamie Oliver potato and veg peeler and would be lost
without ,it has been the best £2.25p I have ever spent so so easy,thanks
Jamie

isaacac1 Fri 15-May-20 04:18:51

Small chopper. Unlike ordinary kitchen knives, it is equipped with a variety of blades that can cut vegetables of different sizes. It is definitely a very helpful tool for home cooks who need to prepare a large amount of vegetable salad. Cutting vegetables becomes very interesting.
www.gearhunder.com/best-vegetable-choppers/

vampirequeen Fri 15-May-20 11:50:34

My pressure cooker.

J52 Fri 15-May-20 12:25:36

My Kenwood, wouldn’t be without it.
Also, good sharp knives.

Riverwalk Fri 15-May-20 12:26:37

Good grief this thread was started NINE years ago!

I wonder how many of the posters are still around smile

May7 Fri 15-May-20 13:36:11

Brabantia bins. Had them for years and years, they've never broken. Still look as good as when I bought them. Expensive to buy but well worth it

GrannyGravy13 Fri 15-May-20 14:13:25

My Thermomix and Lavazza Coffee Machine are favourite electric gadgets.

I would struggle without my potato ricer.

craftyone Sun 17-May-20 06:49:57

most used: wooden chopping board and a good sharp knife

most enjoyed: velvetiser for beautiful hot chocolate

will never get rid of: gaggia gelatiera ice cream maker

handy: kmix stand mixer

most appreciated: kitchenaid artisan kettle with temperature settings

Witzend Sun 17-May-20 09:41:56

My cylinder grater - makes grating cheese so much easier. Can’t understand why anyone uses those horrible box graters that try to grate your fingers when you get to the last bit.

Nortsat Sun 17-May-20 10:00:53

My wooden chopping board, which belonged to my mother. She died more than 40 years ago, so the board is at least that age. I use it every day.
I have a colour coded set of Joseph Joseph chopping boards, which my partner bought me and I do use them for raw meat and fish and then put them in the dishwasher but my mother’s wooden board is still used daily.

My favourite ‘gadget’ is the Gaggia coffee maker, which I bought for my partner for his birthday about 10 years ago.☕️

SalsaQueen Sun 17-May-20 18:33:53

It's not really a gadget, but the very best thing in my kitchen is the waste disposal unit. Teabags, vegetable peelings, leftover bits of food and cat food go down there, so our bin is never full of smelly stuff.

Rosiebee Wed 20-May-20 18:44:14

Love my potato ricer. It's a Joseph make. You use a twisting motion which doesn't need as much effort as trad one.Also a doddle to clean.
Electrical would be my hand held whizzer for liquidating soups.
Don't see good knives as a gadget. A necessity.

Libby156 Fri 22-May-20 09:21:56

Has to be my KitchenAid mixer! I treated myself to it recently from my catalogue. It was very expensive but I’m paying it off a bit at a time, my goodness what a marvel it is! I’d be lost without it now!

annodomini Fri 22-May-20 10:16:14

My hand-held blender. It makes lovely smooth soups and if a sauce has gone lumpy, it sorts that out too.

lagersossees Thu 03-Sep-20 17:15:42

Actually I'd probable go for a first rate garlic press in any other case - having simply spent per week's vacation with out one I now don't forget what a faff it's miles to cut garlic so finely without one. I am truly effortlessly pleased to read reviews vitamix e310 vs 5200 here blendinggadgets.com/vitamix-e310-vs-5200/ from some blogs.

Franbern Thu 10-Sep-20 09:06:18

Oh dear, nobody has mentioned the wonderful electric kettles or toasters. Or are these just so much part of our lives we actually forget they are 'gadgets'.
Like others, I have always been a sucker for different gadgets - supposedly to make my life easier. Before I moved last year I got rid of many of these including expensive juicer, bread maker, ice cream maker, etc. etc.
So, provided I have a good toaster, either kettle or hot water dispenser, and fridge and microwave I can manage.
However, I sadly notice that since I have settled in here, my 'gadgets' seem to be increasing again.

Jaxjacky Thu 10-Sep-20 09:39:02

Slow cooker for electrical, had one for 40 years, Sabatier knife for non electrical, it’s old, bit battered, been to France and back a number of times, love it!

Ramblingrose22 Sat 12-Sep-20 20:20:14

Can someone who has chosen a hand (held) or stick blender say what make and model it was, please?

I've been thinking of getting one for ages but don't want anything too heavy and wonder how to avoid the contents from splashing whilst using it.

annodomini Sat 12-Sep-20 20:46:15

My hand blender is Tefal Turbomix though that might be an outdated brand as I've had it a good ten years and it's still giving good service. You won't splash the contents if they are in the goblet that comes with the blender or if you're using it in a pan and keep the rotating blades under the liquid. It certainly isn't heavy!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:25:48

DH he cooks very well and can wash up too.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:26:39

My hand blender is a Braun.

Spangler Sat 26-Sep-20 07:35:29

MrsJamJam Fri 13-May-11 18:24:28
A husband who loves cooking and the glass of wine in hand while creating supper ...

Witzend Sat 26-Sep-20 08:35:50

Just now, it’s got to be the little citrus zester (£7) which made zesting 2 lemons and 2 oranges for Delia’s mincemeat yesterday, so much less of a chore than when I used to do it with the box grater.