Gransnet forums

Food

Help - I am a beginner cook - silverside roast beef

(33 Posts)
redblue Tue 10-Apr-12 12:16:47

green thank you! - I am wondering whether 12 hours is too long. Maybe I better check it in good time - it has a blue china style lid so not see through unfortunately
I would like to be much better at cooking and it really helps to have a sounding board to check (very obvious!) things. If i get something wrong it can cause strife which I would rather avoid so to speak

greenmossgiel Tue 10-Apr-12 10:37:02

redblue- that will be so tasty! It can cook slowly all day. If you r slow cooker doesn't have a glass lid, perhaps have a wee look at it a good hour or so before you expect to eat, just in case it's ready before then? By the way, don't be embarrassed about asking for advice with what may seem simple or obvious cooking methods! I didn't know how to make coffee in a percolator - and jeni told me how to do it - perfect results! smile

bagitha Tue 10-Apr-12 09:39:57

Remember to tell us how delicious it was!

redblue Tue 10-Apr-12 09:25:31

Thanks all for replies
Well what I did was to defrost it in the sauce in the cold not on slow cooker (maybe an error but there you go) and first thing this morning I browned the defrosted meat on all sides briefly before returning it to the slow cooker and putting the slow cooker on "low"
Lets hope it works out - thank you for your input - I am not very good at this!

susiecb Tue 10-Apr-12 08:48:59

I often do silverside or brisket surrounding by big chunks of root vegetables , half a bottle of red plonk in a low oven for several hours - beautiful soft and juicy meat and so much cheaper.

Notsogrand Tue 10-Apr-12 08:16:58

Morning red. I did just as glass suggested before Easter. De-frosted the beef overnight and slow cooker all day Friday. It was delicious and I'm sure yours will be too!

glassortwo Mon 09-Apr-12 23:21:23

Hi red I would defrost the beef without sauce, then in the morning put the beef and the sauce in the slow cooker, and leave to cook away.

redblue Mon 09-Apr-12 22:52:34

OK, i expect no one is going to look at this tonight
I have a silverside roast beef and a beef and ale sauce suitable for beef (M&S) and a slow cooker
If I proposed to take the silverside roast beef (has net string round it and a small layer of fat but not too much fat) out of the freezer (i.e it is 10.30pm) and put it with the sauce in a slow cooker to defrost and "marinade" overnight) with a view to turning slow cooker on tomorrow morning 7.30am) to eat at 8.30pm - what are the pitfalls
I am assuming that because I have not properly defrosted there will be a horrible layer of fat in the slow cooker? What else? Aside from the humour created from this stupid proposal!! Sorry if all of you proper cooks are laughing but any assistance greatly appreciated
thanks