Gransnet forums

Food

Food tastes better from your favourite spoon?

(36 Posts)
shysal Thu 27-Jun-13 08:15:33

uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-tastes-different-with-cutlery-university-of-oxford-study-103120356.html
I do have my favourite cutlery and crockery for certain items. As in the link, I like a small white spoon for yoghurt. My other choices include a tiny metal spoon for boiled eggs, a proper soup spoon, fish knife, and a particular knife for spreading butter. I don't drink tea or coffee, but I can understand why it is said to taste better from bone china.
What are your preferences?

Stansgran Thu 27-Jun-13 20:00:23

Sook,GA and Envious I love you all or should I say y'all Envious? I always take some pre packed ones to my family in Switzerland under the presence that they don't have enough but now I shall take them on hols in the UK.

Sook Thu 27-Jun-13 20:09:17

Stansgran grin

absent Thu 27-Jun-13 20:12:22

All everyday plates, cups, saucers, tea mugs, tea cups, bowls, egg cups, serving dishes, platters, etc are plain white with the exception of two mugs - one with my name and one with Mr absent's - so it doesn't really matter which anybody use for what. All the everyday cutlery is stainless steel and the same design, so ditto. However, in spite of donating huge quantities of stuff to charity shops before leaving the country, the big tin box on the ship on the ocean is carrying at least three more sets of cutlery and one dinner service.

shysal Thu 27-Jun-13 20:23:19

Stansgran, I have always taken my own pillows and starched bed linen whenever possible.
I bought an extra dinner plate when the family gatherings expanded beyond the 10 sets of white crockery I had. It is a slightly different shape, so I eat all my meals from that one. Going off subject slightly, I also have to arrange my food in a certain way on the plate - protein at 8o'clock, carbs at 12 and veg filling the rest of the space. In a restaurant I re-arrange my food if it isn't in the right pattern. blush

absent Thu 27-Jun-13 20:36:44

shysal Whatever do you do with risotto, pasta, curry, moussaka, etc. or do you eat only traditional British meat and two veg?

Deedaa Thu 27-Jun-13 21:07:29

My son would be very impressed by all your plain white china absent after doing his apprenticeship in a 5star hotel he doesn't like to see food presented on anything but plain white. I keep threatening to leave him all my lovely Italian decorated majolica grin

FlicketyB Thu 27-Jun-13 21:37:09

Just heard this on R4, DH was in absolute agreement with it, yogurt can only be eaten with a metal spoon, different cutlery makes food taste differently. I had to confess that as far as I am concerned all food tastes the same regardless of what I eat it off or with.

shysal Thu 27-Jun-13 21:54:35

absent, main dish on the left, any accompaniments on the right!

glammanana Thu 27-Jun-13 22:41:15

I had two butter knives which belonged to my nana and somewhere along the line of moving (or gone in the waste bin) one has been lost to my dismay, so now no one is allowed to use the remaining one only me,if you want to butter anything in my house do not dare to use the little butter knife thats for my personal and private use only.grin

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:44:15

You can't seem to buy butter knives any more. I'm glad I bought mine when I did.