Gransnet forums

Food

Food tastes better from your favourite spoon?

(35 Posts)
shysal Thu 27-Jun-13 08:15:33

uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-tastes-different-with-cutlery-university-of-oxford-study-103120356.html
I do have my favourite cutlery and crockery for certain items. As in the link, I like a small white spoon for yoghurt. My other choices include a tiny metal spoon for boiled eggs, a proper soup spoon, fish knife, and a particular knife for spreading butter. I don't drink tea or coffee, but I can understand why it is said to taste better from bone china.
What are your preferences?

Bags Thu 27-Jun-13 08:19:34

I saw this but didn't read it because I thought all this had been known forever.

shysal Thu 27-Jun-13 08:25:50

Just a lighthearted thread Bags, I am sure we all know it is true. Was it you I remember telling of a favourite butter knife some time back?

feetlebaum Thu 27-Jun-13 08:28:00

Oh ma deer, fish knives & forks - so non-U!

(They were invented in the 19th Century, so if you had them it was obvious that you had bought your cutlery, and not inherited it!

My favourite is whatever is clean and dry at the time...

Aka Thu 27-Jun-13 08:30:29

shysal thanks for the link. I was looking for a 'different' pudding recipe for some weekend guests, the vodka coconut and mango looks worth a go smile

Bags Thu 27-Jun-13 08:31:13

It was a favourite teaspoon, shysal. I also have a favourite knife and fork for eating dinner smile. And a favourite coffee mug. Yogurt is definitely better off a bone or plastic spoon. Not sure about yogurt and a melamine spoon... quick intake of breath through teeth – risky!

Sook Thu 27-Jun-13 08:33:03

I inherited my fish knives and forks grin.

grannyactivist Thu 27-Jun-13 11:32:27

I take a china cup with me whenever I'm staying away from home, oh yes - my fish knives and forks were part of a huge canteen of cutlery my daughter bought for me. smile

janerowena Thu 27-Jun-13 11:45:36

I was brought up to think fish knives and forks were slightly off - but DBH has inherited some so maybe now I shall get used to them as he insists on hauling them out from time to time.

Definitely bone china for my afternoon tea, but a large bone china mug rather than cups. A pink-handled spoon for my coffee, and some lovely sunny happy bone china plates for breakfast with egg cups in matching colours. I shall cry when they have all broken.

In my previous life I had a complete set of wedgwood services, called 'Rosalind'. Over the past twenty years I came to realise that it was the thing I missed most from my previous marriage! Odd, isn't it. So I bought just a couple of pieces to sit in my china cabinet to look at.

First thing in the morning I use a vast cornishware mug for a pint of redbush tea. I have to take one with me when I go on holiday, I get very irritated by small cups.

Stansgran Thu 27-Jun-13 12:14:20

And I thought I was a freak with liking a special china mug(well three the same) for my early morning tea.I've always wanted to take my own pillows away. Is anybody there who does that? I will feel so good if there is.

Tegan Thu 27-Jun-13 12:29:46

I saw some Kath Kidston cutlery in a shop the other week and sooo wanted to buy them [they were all in different pastel colours in a wooden cutlery box] but I would have needed two sets and they were quite expensive [I'd also said that I'd never buy cutlery with plastic bits again as they were unhygenic]. Thankfully I googled it to see if I could get it cheaper on the internet [which I could] and a couple of reviews slated it quality wise. But I knew that my meals would be far more tasty if I had them to eat with [and I still imagine my dining table with that cutlery on it; maybe I'll buy some just for show but actually use my farmorepractical stainless steel stuff].

janeainsworth Thu 27-Jun-13 13:24:20

I remember as a child we had cheap EPNS cutlery, and when the silver had worn through you got a nasty taste from the nickel, so there were some pieces which I studiously avoided, and if feeling particularly spiteful, put in my sister's place when I set the table.
Then in about 1960 my parents bought some stainless steel cutlery - Old Hall Camden pattern, which I still like, and the nasty tastes were a thing of the past.

feetlebaum Thu 27-Jun-13 13:52:30

I'm rather fond of my coffee mug - it proclaims 'Atheist and proud of it' (which overstates the case - there's no cause to be proud OR ashamed, but still...) I use a different one for tea though - is that strange?

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:02:45

My mug says "Wise enough to play the fool".

Shakespeare, don't yer know. smile

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:05:15

Oh yes feetlebaum! Different mugs for coffee/tea. Coffee ones are sort of chunkier, comforting. Tea ones more china-ish.

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:07:38

That is a beautiful picture of a piece of cheese in that article.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-13 14:12:55

I have my early morning cuppa in a Cath Kidston blue spotted (large) mug, my elevenses coffee in a bone china mug with chickens on it and my afternoon cup of tea out of a pink mug with 'Crisis Management Since 1652!' written on it.

I'm always amazed that DH remembers them in the correct order even if I can hear him muttering when he can't find the right one!! grin

annodomini Thu 27-Jun-13 14:18:13

The mug I'm using at the moment says 'Mum Rules!'. A Mother's Day present last year! My favourite is a West Highland pottery mug with a snowdrop motif, bought by my sister at Cambo Gardens in Fife which is famous for snowdrops.

Ella46 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:37:03

jings I like your mug quote, and it really does suit you smile

Enviousamerican Thu 27-Jun-13 14:41:02

sure Stansgran I take my own pillow.As for mugs I use the first one I see in the cabinet.smile

soop Thu 27-Jun-13 14:43:00

Doesn't it just, Ella Mine says - "Let's not age - let's just marinate" A gift from a girl friend with a sense of humour! wink

Back to tennis. Be good, you lot...smile

grannyactivist Thu 27-Jun-13 15:10:35

Stansgran if my holiday doesn't involve a flight then yes, I do take my pillow.

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:47:25

Thanks Ella. smile

Sook Thu 27-Jun-13 16:40:11

Stansgran I always take my own feather pillows with me when I go away. grin

Deedaa Thu 27-Jun-13 16:58:16

I'm not so bothered about cutlery, though I do have my special risotto forks which I use to eat risotto (obviously hmm ) But out of all our assorted mugs there are only about four that I can happily drink tea out of and I have to have my Italian cups for espresso and cappuccino. Obsessive - Moi?