Gransnet forums

Food

What can I do with Weetabix?

(52 Posts)
tiggypiro Thu 04-Sep-14 18:21:51

The Chinese contingency went home last week and I am slowly working my way through the house and reclaiming it.
In one of the kitchen cupboards I have found about 40 Weetabix. It is not something I particularly like as a cereal but would find it hard to throw it out (I am a Yorkshire woman after all). Any ideas what I can use it for?

sherish Fri 05-Sep-14 08:16:24

I used to have a recipe for a tea loaf made with Weetabix and dried fruit. It was lovely and moist. Unfortunately I don't have it now but I'm sure someone out there still has it.

Brendawymms Fri 05-Sep-14 08:17:13

On the Weetabix website there are quite a few recipe ideas.

Gagagran Fri 05-Sep-14 08:41:31

sherish I had a recipe like that but made with Allbran,

MadGrandma Fri 05-Sep-14 15:36:42

www.weetabix.co.uk/recipes/55/weetabix-cake
Funny enough I saw something the other day about a Weetabix cake - so I knew if was there still!

vampirequeen Fri 05-Sep-14 16:16:34

Crumble the weetabix into melted chocolate. Shape into nests. Put a couple of Cadbury's mini eggs into each nest.

Nelliemoser Fri 05-Sep-14 16:28:35

Vampirequeen That sounds lovely I could try that with Malted Wheaties.

Nonnie Fri 05-Sep-14 16:40:08

I used to put butter on mine too, it was a treat.

Crumble and use instead of breadcrumbs to coat whatever. Crumble instead of biscuits as a cheesecake base. I haven't done either of these but they sound feasible.

I have hidden the lovely granola etc I bought for my last lot as I would eat them if I could see them!

FlicketyB Fri 05-Sep-14 17:47:05

Crumble and mix with cheese as a topping on almost anything savoury from Cottage pie to pork chops.

tiggypiro Fri 05-Sep-14 18:28:42

Thank you so much for all your ideas ! I knew there would be some good ones. I'm not sure about the buttered and jammed idea - is it not very dry?
Quite fancy the cake idea so will look on the Weetabix web-site (why didn't I think of that?) and also as a crumble coating/topping. I havn't got a dog and the birds are well fed and anyway it goes against the grain to feed them what is useable food so it looks like copious quantities of cake ! Probably a good job I kept the trousers which were too big after I lost a stone.

Stansgran Fri 05-Sep-14 20:27:46

Grandma's weetabix cake

3 crushed Weetabix
6oz dried fruit
6oz muscavado sugar
1/2 pint milk
7 oz self raising flour
1egg beaten

Soak Weetabix ,fruit and sugar in milk. Leave overnight.
Add flour and egg. Bind together. Put in loaf tin and cook for about an hour at gas 5
I add tsp of mixed spice and it suits my oven( a fan) at 160
I think this was from a M&S charity cookbook about twenty years ago. I'm afraid it's pre decimal but it lends to approximation. It's lovely buttered, warm.

tiggypiro Fri 05-Sep-14 20:38:23

Many thanks Stansgran - I shall give it a go.

3 down so only 37 to go !

rosequartz Fri 05-Sep-14 20:42:34

If it's still in a sealed packet you could put it in the collection trolley at the supermarket for the food bank.

tiggypiro Fri 05-Sep-14 21:33:39

No chance of it still being in a sealed box rose. DGS 1 with a pair of scissors in one hand and glue in the other ..................!

seasider Sat 06-Sep-14 08:12:17

Cake sounds lovely. You can crumble weetabix with Nutella and a little golden syrup. Roll into balls and put them in the fridge to set. They are very like Ferrero Rocher without the chocolate and a good treat if on a diet as long as you do not eat them all! grin

seasider Sat 06-Sep-14 11:05:46

Just remembered my brother eating Weetabix with butter too smile

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 10:57:55

This is hilarious! I feel a Gransnet challenge coming on for 101 innovstive things to do eith Weetabix. Love the sound of the cake stansgran but I think flicketyB is showing us the way to go with savoury suggestions.
Sweet and sour Weetabix anyone? grin

Galen Sun 07-Sep-14 11:53:32

Stick them together and use as a draught excluder

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 12:00:47

Practical and energy conscious too! grin

FlicketyB Mon 08-Sep-14 06:50:46

Could you use them like hay bales to build a house?

suzied Mon 08-Sep-14 07:05:53

I remember seeing a TV programme where they were comparing how well different toilets flushed with different amounts of water. They used wet weetabix stuck to the sides of the loo as substitute for... You can guess what... That put me off weetabix for life.

rosequartz Mon 08-Sep-14 11:55:42

I think you could make a nativity scene ready for Christmas. Weetabix would be great for building the stable and perhaps you could melt some butter with honey to mould little figures and animals - you could even paint them!
The only downside is that you may have to buy shredded wheat for the hay in the manger
( a hay in a a manger
No crib for a bed etc)
Then the problem of what to do with the rest of the shredded wheat ...

grumppa Mon 08-Sep-14 12:32:22

Wetabix and marmalade was a delicacy at prep. school breakfast. Can't say I've tried it since!

grumppa Mon 08-Sep-14 12:32:50

Oops - Weetabix

Stansgran Mon 08-Sep-14 12:52:39

I had some weetabix with choc bits in left over from the DGC's visit and was inspired to make the recipe I posted. I make it a lot with the children ,swapping the dried fruit for mashed banana which they like . I used left over orange juice instead of milk and it was very nice . I've frozen it in slices for next weeks visitors

Stansgran Mon 08-Sep-14 12:53:12

And so I wouldn't eat it all myself.