Gransnet forums

Food

Sprouts! (No, NOT should I put them on yet!)

(40 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:48:46

Evening all,

First, please may I make it clear that this question relates to the vegetable (hence the plural) rather than the cat of a similar name, although I could right a damn book about that one! grin

Now, every Christmas (apart from roast potatoes) veg wise I always cook:
Roast parsnips
Swede mashed with lots of black pepper
Carrots
Sprouts

Mr P has (eventually) decided he does in fact like swede, and will actually request it, especially when we are having roast beef. Carrots, he tolerates and will have the odd one or two with a roast, although if they are in a hot pot or casserole he seems to eat whatever is on the plate.

Parsnips, he cannot abide (and I have tried various things, well, cooking wise blush including Parsnips Molly Parkin, which most of those who try it like) and when it comes to sprouts, he has a token ONE on his plate (big wuss!)

However, he absolutely loves Boxing Day Bubble & Squeak, which of course contains all of the leftover veg, including the ones he says he hates.

He does know that the hated veg are in there, but says that somehow it's different confused

So, this year, to try to convert him, I was thinking of going back to this method:

Parboil small button sprouts, (day before if you feel like it!)
Warm a large heavy bottomed pan, then add smoked bacon lardons.
Once the fat has melted, add sprouts and toss about a bit.
Open vacuum pack of whole, cooked peeled chestnuts, add and move about a bit until all thoroughly heated and cooked.

So, two questions, namely:
Is this likely to make him realise that sprouts can be yummy, and secondly, would the left over ones still work in the bubble and squeak?

Thank you!

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:36:31

One of the strangest things I ever read, with regard to Christmas Dinner, was someone on Bad Mothers Club who said that they always had Mr Brains Faggots as a side dish with their Christmas lunch/Dinner shock

Mr P and I have very good appetites, and when we have bought the 6 faggot tray struggle to eat three each with a helping of mashed potatoes and peas, the thought of having them as a side dish to a full roast dinner is just shock

janerowena Thu 27-Nov-14 22:47:01

We do our sprouts almost identically to yours, but then we add a little cream to them.

But they still get made into bubble and squeak with no harm to the taste whatsoever! I think I prefer the food the next day actually. Cold meat, pickle, bubble and squeak - yum.

papaoscar Fri 28-Nov-14 08:48:24

Some nice sprouts cut in half, with sliced leeks, shallots and garlic, all gently poached in a little water for a few minutes then pan-fried or oven-baked with a little butter and or oil...Sprinklings of Parmesan and strong Cheddar. The whole very lightly grilled. Perhaps some slightly warmed walnuts and a spoonful of good Blackcurrant jam or Cranberry sauce jam on top..Oh-errrr! And, of course, side orders of roughly mashed buttery, peppery swede and carrot, honey-roasted parsnips and a small mountain of nicely-roasted floury potatoes, a jug of good, rich, brown, onion gravy, all washed down with a sip or two of champagne and/or a drop of something red....and we'll have just a sliver of stuffed roast Turkey, clove-infused bread sauce, Beef Wellington with crisp and soggy Yorkshire pudding, and Salmon in puff-pastry...Stuff of dreams, I wish. But God rest ye merry ladies and gentlemen, and jingle all those bells!

Teetime Fri 28-Nov-14 10:35:29

I'm with Mr P parsnips are the Devil's vegetable ably assisted by beetroot which is now on every menu. DH loves them both so I have to do them now and again Yuk!

henetha Fri 28-Nov-14 10:40:04

I absolutely love sprouts, but as I get older they seem to ... er.... slightly disagree with my innards! I find they are less disruptive if stir fried instead of just boiled. Any further ideas for making them more digestible, please?

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 10:54:38

Is that the same rue Leith who has stated she IS A FRAUD, because she is no great cook ?
wink

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 10:56:36

oops a daisy, Prue

glammanana Fri 28-Nov-14 12:43:45

We do love sprouts but I hate the lingering smell afterwards and they must be nice and crisp not mushy and boiled to death,my most favourite veg is spring cabbage and leeks steamed together and parsnips and carrots mashed together rather than turnips and carrots.smile

feetlebaum Fri 28-Nov-14 13:10:21

The lingering smell - is that in the kitchen or the bathroom?

Anne58 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:31:32

feetle grin

Apparently Jerusalem artichokes are the worst, according to a friend the only thing to have after them is a long walk across the moors!

rosequartz Fri 28-Nov-14 19:39:03

Parsnips and beetroot - Yum! (not together, of course)

I have never tried Jerusalem artichokes as my mother said she had to eat them as a child, loathed them and never inflicted them on us.

ginny Sat 29-Nov-14 17:26:11

All the family love sprouts, cooked just so they have a little bite. Parsnips are popular, blended with a little cream and nutmeg. Roast beetroot is delicious and parsnips roasted with grain mustard and maple syrup brushed on to them. Yummy !

Grannyknot Sat 29-Nov-14 17:44:36

Tesco are selling shredded sprouts this year, I tried them on my sprout avoiding family recently and fooled them all smile

Deedaa Mon 01-Dec-14 21:59:58

I could happily eat your sprout recipe as Christmas dinner phoenix without bothering about the turkey at all! The leftovers would suit me as a bubble and squeak - in fact we had bubble and squeak tonight - with a bit od cold roast beef smile