Gransnet forums

Food

mince pies that don't keep!

(44 Posts)
rosesarered Sat 29-Nov-14 17:50:18

Bought 2 packs of mince pies in Sainsbury today [2 for £2] bargain. When I got home DH said, 'hope they keep well' to which I replied 'yes, they have a Jan date on them'. A short time later, found him eating 2 of them with a cup of tea while watching the England rugby game!!! hmmmmn.

soontobe Sat 29-Nov-14 17:52:57

ha!
Made me want a mince pie now.

NanKate Sat 29-Nov-14 18:14:47

Me too, with a lovely dollop of brandy cream on top.

Soutra Sat 29-Nov-14 18:40:14

Keeping mince pies is like "leftover wine" a concept I don't really understand hmm

pompa Sat 29-Nov-14 19:17:05

Mince pies that keep - not in our house.

ninathenana Sat 29-Nov-14 19:42:07

I usually end up binning any I buy. I have to have them though .....just incase someone fancies one.

pompa Sat 29-Nov-14 19:57:42

shock "I usually end up binning any I buy" How could you !!!!

tanith Sat 29-Nov-14 20:17:45

Buy one get one free in Mr.T I have them in the freezer but they don't half defrost quickly in my fan oven grin

ninathenana Sun 30-Nov-14 07:24:30

If bining them upsets you pompa It's only a short row across the estuary, you'd be very welcome to a brew and one or two three [ grin]

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Nov-14 07:29:49

Freezing doesn't work. My DC discovered when they were quite young that mincemeat doesn't really freeze and they ate mince pies straight from the freezer.

glammanana Sun 30-Nov-14 11:27:53

Mince pies are on my shopping list as soon as I see them in the bakery dept from about mid October onwards,we love them specially the shortcrust ones on offer at morrisons at the minute at 2 pks for £2 they are soon gone in this house.

pompa Sun 30-Nov-14 11:36:32

I thought it was common knowledge that mince pies don't freeze. They suffer from an unusual problem. Mrs. P find that when she freezes a batch that they spontaneously disappear, she is still investigating the cause of this phenomenon. grin

pompa Sun 30-Nov-14 11:39:45

For any of those who live near me (there are a few) Try the ones at PerryWoods, Tiptree, they are some of the best I have ever tasted. I am ensuring they keep up the standard by tasting them regularly, a hard job, but someone has to do it.

Agus Sun 30-Nov-14 13:07:50

Ha, if DH does any more test tasting, which started about 6 weeks ago, I don't think he will be able to face one on the day!

rosequartz Sun 30-Nov-14 15:47:57

I haven't made or bought any yet as I just know they won't keep!

rosesarered Sun 30-Nov-14 17:29:41

It seems others eat them quickly too.grinI do usually make them, but am so busy this month and have discovered shop bought ones are fine if you warm them a bit in the oven first [a blob of cream on them is nice.]Dh doesn't bother about the oven bit though, when hunting for a snack [as men do.]The fridge is his first port of call [hoping for a pork pie] and then he looks in the larder.

pompa Sun 30-Nov-14 18:03:40

It's always been the man's job to hunt for food, the modern man starts with the fridge.

rosesarered Sun 30-Nov-14 18:18:42

Oh, is THAT why men spemd so much time just staring into the fridge pompa?

tiggypiro Sun 30-Nov-14 20:10:05

I have just found a small pot of (homemade) mincemeat in the back of the fridge left over from last year. It is very yummy especially when tested by eating a spoonful. I don't think it will be there long !
PS I have cleaned my fridge out at least once since last Christmas !!

NanKate Mon 01-Dec-14 22:18:03

I keep a jar of mincemeat in my fridge and put it into the centre of a bramley apple pour a little orange juice and a quick squib of golden syrup over the top them bake it until cooked. It is lovely with some warm half fat custard.

rosesarered Mon 01-Dec-14 22:21:10

I agree NanKate and I do exactly the same thing.Only normal custard, not half fat.

papaoscar Tue 02-Dec-14 17:58:48

Yes , the universal mystery of where the disappearing mince-pies go to. Probably the same place as the slices of stollen cake and sausage rolls. I've been searching for years.

granjura Tue 02-Dec-14 18:13:01

We intentionally didn't buy any when in the UK last week!

I'll make some with grandkids on 23rd or 22nd- bought the mincemeat at Sainsbury's but will add grated apple, as just too sweet. 3 dozens for the 8 of us, and then, that's will be it.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 22:53:41

papaoscar !! It's all inside YOU! Mystery solved tchgrin

NanKate Wed 03-Dec-14 07:25:18

I try to hold back from eating too much Xmas food until near Xmas week. It's an ongoing struggle. hmm what a misery I am.