Gransnet forums

Food

How can I dispose of a pan of dahl?

(64 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:09:00

There is no way I am going to eat it. And I'm not feeding it to anyone else either. It is truly horrible.

And I didn't know you had to wash lentils. And I remember now why I don't buy lentils.

I suppose it will have to be a leak proof poly bag.

It took me ages round Waitrose to find all those ingredients. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 22:27:48

Marmite?!!!!!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 22:28:53

It was a Jamie Oliver recipe. Well, one of his apprentices I think.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jan-15 22:36:32

What do you mean, it tastes a bit veggie? Of course it does. I eat food that tastes vegetarian all the time.
Next time use a proper recipe from someone like Maddhur Jaffrey, who knows how to use spices properly.
All dahls taste better the next day and the next. We used to live next door to an Indian couple. He used to make chickpea curries, but would not give us any until the third or fourth day when it tasted its best. Then he would bring us a big bowlful.

Agus Fri 30-Jan-15 23:09:39

I remember you mentioning that recipe on another thread jingl and thought it sounded good, all ready to go out and buy the ingredients so thanks for coming back to say it wasn't worth the bother. Hate when something like that happens. What a shame.

Ana Fri 30-Jan-15 23:22:28

I'm really glad you got rid of it, jingl, despite all the protestations from the anti-waste brigade. Well done!

Sometimes you just have to let things go - especially mushy messes. smile

Lona Sat 31-Jan-15 07:57:35

I've just chucked a pan of chicken curry that I made and didn't like. Life's too short.
I do miss having a canine waste disposal though!

kittylester Sat 31-Jan-15 08:07:46

I miss that for under the table after children's mealtime Lona grin

I wouldn't have made it in the first instance jings

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 10:01:04

I'm going to try again. A mini version with the remaining 100 grams of lentils. Am going to keep adding various things until it tastes good.

I am pinning much of my hope on the sauce stuff Riverwalk recommended, which Mr Ocado will be bringing to my door shortly.

Thank you for all the kind suggestions.

(I have found some frozen garlic and ginger in the freezer, left over from DD's more expert cooking ventures)

Onwards and upwards.

Riverwalk Sat 31-Jan-15 10:05:08

You've got me going now Jings - I'm going to make some too!

You still need to fry the spices, onions etc, even with the tamarind but it just adds a certain piquancy that lifts the lentils from stodge to tasty smile

Faye Sat 31-Jan-15 10:47:20

Fresh green chillies are much nicer than dried chillies. My Dahl is always tastier the next day.

When I make one of my Dahls using yellow lentils it look like just husks of the lentils for awhile but once the spices thicken everything it all comes together.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 10:50:38

Hope I'm not to blame after raving about it on "What's for dinner" on Thurs!

I make it all the time and use red lentils straight from the bag - have never washed them yet. You could try DMing it to me - but that could get messy

Faye Sat 31-Jan-15 10:50:43

I also boil my lentils first, then give it a good rinse before I add anything. I would be making some too if I hadn't made it a few days ago.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 11:13:57

Well Cari......... grin

I think the fact that I didn't wash the lentils was a lot to blame for how I felt about it. Read on the I-net afterwards something about dust and debris! Who could have known?!

merlotgran Sat 31-Jan-15 11:23:06

Ana and *Lona's posts remind me of receiving a clip round the ear from my grandmother for being cheeky. I was staring at a bowl of tapioca pudding which I absolutely hated while she lectured about the starving children in Africa.

She was not impressed when I said, 'But what makes you think they'd want to eat this?'

Big mistake. shock

durhamjen Sat 31-Jan-15 12:28:53

The man who lived next door to us and made us chickpea curries and dhals was a Ugandan Asian who was expelled by Idi Amin, merlot, so he probably would have wanted the tapioca when he was a child.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 13:17:11

I guess it depends on the lentils - I always use red ones from supermarkets (Tesco or Waitrose generally) and haven't come across a problem yet. I chuck them into soups all the time too. But other pulses are often bigger and dustier.

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:19:04

I use lentils a lot, (like dj I'm vegetarian) and I always have a few tins of them in the cupboard too - I really like them. I'd also endorse using the garlic and ginger pastes, because it it easier but also because I don't often cook the same quantities as I did when everyone lived at home. (Sighs of relief)

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:17:43

Chuck your failed dahl into a nice meaty broth, jings.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:46:30

I'm sorry Cari darling, but these are Waitrose Love Life ones and it says on the bag, "wash thoroughly".

Never mind. All is well. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:47:36

Mwah!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:48:33

Bags there was a huge amount of the stuff.

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 15:03:52

Those green 'Puy' Lentils are delicious.
Tesco do them in tins or you can buy dried.
We generally use tinned.
Nice in soups and broths even or just as a side
Mrs Retiredguy always washes red lentils.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 16:44:35

Several nice meaty broths then, jings. You could freeze (could have frozen) it in portions.

And then tossed them out when you defrosted the freezer and found you hadn't used them up grin

TriciaF Sat 31-Jan-15 19:12:16

I make it sometimes and all I use is oil onions, red lentils and stock. Sometimes cumin and coriander.
If it had be solid I would say cut it in slices and fry it - that's what my Mum used to do with pease pudding.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:23:58

I use a little oil - fry sliced red onion, grated ginger and finely sliced garlic with a little chilli and some salt til it's soft. Add the red lentils and water and simmer for about 20 mins stirring regularly. When it's ready stir in some lime juice and (if there is any in the fridge - usually forget) top with freshly chopped coriander. You should technically add cumin at the spice stage but I'm not a fan.