Gransnet forums

Food

Takeaways.

(42 Posts)
NanKate Wed 06-May-15 21:39:22

I was in a friends kitchen recently and asked her why she had so many empty tinfoil containers. She said they were from takeaways. She and her family are quite large, I wonder if there is a connection.

Now I must fess up I have never had a takeaway other than fish and chips and one Chinese meal which I bought for my son some years ago when he moved into his first flat.

Are takeaways part of your life ?

loopylou Thu 07-May-15 16:00:21

We have fish & chips perhaps once every few months, and used to have a Chinese takeaway once or twice a year but I seem to have gone off fatty foods-I don't remember the last time I deep fried anything, it must be 15 years?
I've never had a MacDonald's so I don't know what I'm missing grin

rascal Thu 07-May-15 18:43:17

Yes Kittylester that is what I miss after being diagnosed with Coeliac. We used to have Chinese and my favourite was fried rice with beef and tomato bamboo shoots & water chestnuts! Yummy!

Deedaa Thu 07-May-15 20:53:31

We have a very good chippy near us ( they take the skin off!) so we have fish and chips for lunch now and again. We also have a very reliable chinese take away and occasionally treat ourselves. I sometimes get tempted and bring home some KFC, but with any of these having them for lunch means just a sandwich for dinner.

yogagran Thu 07-May-15 22:17:35

We have an excellent fish and chip van that calls in our village once a week, excellent quality and what used to be a rare treat is gradually becoming more regular!

Greenfinch Thu 07-May-15 22:46:17

We always have Chinese on Mothering Sunday so no-one has to cook and we also have it probably about once a month as well .We never have fish and chips because I think I can do better ones at home.

Katek Fri 08-May-15 00:18:36

We have a sort of takeaway a couple of times a month from the golf club. The kitchen will accept take out orders from the menu so it could be anything from a carvery with veg to an omelette and salad. Not sure if that's a takeaway per se??

POGS Fri 08-May-15 00:45:43

We have a Chinese take away about every couple of months and I go to a brilliant fish and chip shop every month when I can go shopping.

I simply cannot cook the quality of food they provide. Lord knows I have tried.

Looking forward to eating my fish and chips at Weymouth next week, hoora.

rubylady Fri 08-May-15 00:58:16

We've been here now 7 months and I don't even know where the chippy is! Time to get some weight off anyway so they will be off the menu for a while.

petra Wed 13-May-15 11:21:47

Has anyone got a Home Delivery Alchohol service near them. We have. Their slogan is: You drink, we drive. Although we do have several resturants that include a taxi service home.

nightowl Wed 13-May-15 12:19:17

I'm not sure what I think about a home delivery alcohol service. Perhaps I'm a bit po-faced about alcohol, but it worries me a bit. I know people will drink with or without a delivery service. It puts me in mind of something my son told me about the fact that it's now possible to have drugs delivered to your door, and to order then on the Internet apparently confused

aggie Wed 13-May-15 12:52:55

Our local Pub does carry out Sunday lunch from their menu , all freshly cooked and beautifully served in a polystyrene container ready to decant onto a warmed plate . Proper roast with veg and Yorkshire , salmon with new potatoes and veg ......... does that count ? .OH doesn't like eating out so this is a compromise . We also have a great Chinese in the village and when I am fed up thinking what to cook we get something , usually share one as they are too generous

Coolgran65 Wed 13-May-15 18:36:17

Saturday evening dinner is usually either the Asda 2 x rib eye steaks for £7 which are delicious, or takeaway which is likely to be local Chinese - we get a 'one portion' plus an extra portion of noodles.

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 16:06:01

Alcohol delivery service? Remember 'Beer at Home means Davenports'?
They used to deliver to your door when we were young. My mother rarely drank but at Christmas and on special occasions she would have a small glass of stout. She used to get Davenports to bring a couple of bottles for such occasions.

jeanie99 Thu 28-May-15 21:53:35

I guess some families live on take aways probably younger people.

Our age group is used to cooking meat and veg well I am so cook every night. thing is when you cook for yourself you know what is in the food.
I am on a low salt diet and have to be careful of my blood sugar levels also so even eating out I have to watch what I eat.

grannyactivist Thu 28-May-15 22:15:54

I can't actually remember the last time we had a takeaway meal. When we used to have Chinese takeaway food we would always ask for no MSG and no salt to be added. The chef was a friend of mine and thought the food he gave us was tasteless without the additives. We have a brilliant little restaurant nearby that serves Bangladeshi dishes and when our son was home we occasionally got a takeaway from there - delicious.

J52 Thu 28-May-15 22:28:52

We rarely have take aways. Despite living in a city with renowned Indian restaurants.
But we do have an excellent Turkish take away, where you can choose the fresh dishes that are cooked instantly for you. It caters for vegetarians and gluten free customers.
Fish and chips only at the seaside, can't beat the fresh taste. x