Gransnet forums

Food

Courgettes

(26 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 19-Jun-15 15:15:59

I'm staring at 2 lonely courgettes in my fridge which need to be eaten fairly soon. I usually just roast them with other veg but does anybody else have any ideas on tasty recipes for them? Feeling very uninspired...

loopylou Fri 19-Jun-15 15:17:26

Cheese and courgette muffins, utterly delicious!

Galen Fri 19-Jun-15 15:24:16

I spiralise mine along with a carrot and either stir fry with soy sauce and rice wine or, serve with a pasta sauce

LyndaW Fri 19-Jun-15 15:53:02

Cheese & courgette muffins sound good! I was thinking of using them for dinner but baking sounds far more appealing...

How are you getting on with the spiralising then Galen? That does sound super healthy. Am toying with the idea of getting one. Not sure if I'd use it often enough though? What else do you spiralise?

TriciaF Fri 19-Jun-15 15:59:04

Similar to muffins (I think.)
Grate the courgettes, squeeze out excess fluid.
Add to a batter of SR flour and eggs and a little oil, plus a finely chopped onion, s&p.
Then bake. I use oiled foil containers.
You can add grated carrots etc too.

loopylou Fri 19-Jun-15 16:39:53

That sounds good TriciaF grin

hildajenniJ Fri 19-Jun-15 17:01:10

Depending on the size and amount I make courgette soup. It is made with 1pound of courgettes, 1 onion finely chopped and sufficient chicken stock to cover. Simmer until the veg is softened and then blend until smooth. You can add grated cheese to make it into cheese and courgette soup. I forgot to say, season to taste and enjoy.

Grannyknot Fri 19-Jun-15 17:09:23

Courgette fritters are yummy:
Ingredients
225g grated courgettes
4 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 tablespoons plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
8 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste
Recipe Instructions
Prepare the fritter mixture.
Combine the courgette, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Cook the fritters.
Heat the oil over a medium heat in a frying pan. Drop in heaped tablespoons of the fritter mixture and cook for a few minutes on each side until they are golden on both sides.

joannapiano Fri 19-Jun-15 17:36:55

I have just diced a courgette, along with some butternut squash, and added it to the mince for DGC's spag bol. Not very traditional, but it gets extra veg into them.
We grow courgettes in grow bags on our patio, they are just starting to flower this week. We had such a glut last year, I gave bags of then away to the mums/grans at Toddler group. We pick them when they are quite small.

Mamie Fri 19-Jun-15 17:55:25

Salad with griddled courgettes, preserved lemon, mint, ras-al-hanout, pearled spelt and green pistachio nuts.
Roasted with aubergines, tomatoes, red onion etc.
Sliced, rubbed with tumeric and cayenne and cooked in oven with olive oil.
We have just picked the first of many!

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 18:02:11

Using Grannyknot's recipe, add another two eggs and 1.5 tspn baking powder, and it will make a cake.
Bake in a 25cm springform tin at 200c for 35-40 minutes.

Nice with feta cheese instead of the mozzarella, and pinenuts,too.

harrigran Fri 19-Jun-15 19:01:35

I sauté sliced courgettes with onions and garlic and lardons. Add a carton of tomato passata , a dash of wine, balsamic vinegar and a handful of fines herbes and simmer together. Lovely as a vegetable side dish especially the next day when the flavour has intensified.

loopylou Fri 19-Jun-15 19:06:29

I'm almost looking forward to a courgette glut now grin
Unfortunately my one plant isn't behaving itself, only two courgettes although a number of flowers.

FlicketyB Fri 19-Jun-15 19:19:20

Slice and fry in butter. Cook with onions, tomatoes and fresh herbs, and serve as a vegetable with steak or chops.

janerowena Fri 19-Jun-15 20:44:28

Slice and place in colander, salt heavily and place a weight on top so that water will drain out, then pat all over with kitchen towel or whirl in a teatowel to remove as much salt and liquid as possible. Fry in chopped garlic and olive oil until brown and crispy all over, dredge in grated parmesan.

glassortwo Fri 19-Jun-15 20:50:16

My favourite

Ratatouille

Ingredients
2 aubergines
4 small courgettes
2 red peppers
4 large tomatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
small bunch basil, roughly torn
Preparation method
Cut the aubergines into quarters lengthways, then cut the quarters into 2.5cm/1in slices. Cut the courgettes into 2.5cm/1in slices. De-seed the peppers and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Score a cross in the base of each tomato and place them in a heatproof bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and set aside for one minute. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel away the skins. Cut them into quarters, scoop out the seeds and discard. Roughly chop the flesh.
Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and add the onions. Cook over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown and very tender. Add the aubergines and courgettes, increase the heat slightly and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the peppers, garlic, sugar, some salt and pepper and half the basil and mix well. Cover and cook over a very gentle heat for 20 minutes.
Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes. Scatter with the remaining basil and serve.

Galen Sat 20-Jun-15 12:27:36

So far just carrots and courgettes. My spiralise r also acts as a slicer so potatoes, apples, cucumber etc. the juicer for citrus fruits. A good buy from Amazon for about £30

NanaDenise Sat 20-Jun-15 16:20:56

Fritters are great. Make a thick batter with flour, eggs and milk - quantity depending on how many courgettes. Add chopped mild chilli, teaspoon of cumin, salt, pepper and grated courgette. Drop spoonfulls into hot greased frying pan. Turn when brown. Serve with a salsa of cherry tomatoes and fetta cheese. Even GDs who never eat courgettes will eat these.

nonnasusie Sun 21-Jun-15 13:52:36

Cheese and courgette flan (or quiche)! We have loads and there're always some we miss when picking them that end up like baby marrows! They are good stuffed and baked! Courgette omelette is good too! If all else fails and they go rotten the chickens eat them!!!

loopylou Sun 21-Jun-15 13:58:29

Stuffed courgettes are good, you can use virtually anything! I like panko, chopped tomatoes and spring onion and feta

grannyactivist Sun 21-Jun-15 19:19:44

Had to google panko - it's a Japanese-style breadcrumb.

loopylou Sun 21-Jun-15 19:39:55

It's crunchier than breadcrumbs, gives a lovely texture and is lovely used as a coating to fish etc

Nelliemoser Mon 22-Jun-15 14:05:19

Very very lightly brush a hot frying pan with oil and put quite thick slices of courgette on the pan and sear them until nearly chargrilled on both sides. They sort of cook in their own juice which caramelises. They should not be soggy.

Stansgran Mon 22-Jun-15 17:54:31

Caponata from Sicily is just about anything with anything but sweet and sour and capers . Sort of ratatouille on speed

loopylou Mon 22-Jun-15 17:58:41

That's my favourite way Nelliem, I could eat them on their own, just like that smile