Gransnet forums

Food

Sunday memories

(28 Posts)
seasider Sun 13-Sep-15 07:57:39

Just musing what to make for Sunday lunch and I was reminded of Sundays when I was a child. I went to Sunday school at my aunt's church then she would come back to our house. If the weather was good I would sit on the back step with my mum while she peeled potatoes and shelled peas. The neighbours would often be mowing their lawns with old fashioned mowers and Forces Family Favourites would be on in the background. My dad would exchange a few words with his sister then go back to reading the Sunday paper!

grannylyn65 Sun 13-Sep-15 19:27:07

Oh I remember the Brains Trust !
Was at boarding school and it was walk 2 miles to Church, back for horrid sliced beef ( I think! ) in gelatinous gravy.
Tea was always chicken noodle soup ( which have hated ever since!) and cream cheese with crackers which I still like !

annodomini Sun 13-Sep-15 19:33:09

We always hoped that my dad would get the car out to take us all to church but unless it was pouring with rain (not that unusual in the West of Scotland), we trudged downhill and back uphill in our Sunday best, hats and all (1940s). Roast beef for lunch followed by perhaps apple pie or treacle tart and custard. No Sunday school for us - it was mind-bendingly boring. We girls would go round to Granny's in the afternoon to read the comic strips in the Sunday Post which we never had at home. My uncle would take me out for country walks and taught me about bird calls, then to watch cows being milked; or down to the harbour and small shipyard to see what was what, with an ice cream on the way home. When I was a bit older, I'd take the dog out for a walk myself or we would all go for a drive and give her a run on the moors. Inevitably the day ended with homework and, in my case, reading as late as I could get away with.