Gransnet forums

Food

old Bero recipe

(40 Posts)
thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 16:55:15

Does anyone have the old Bero recipe for Melting Moments? Or a similar one?

annsixty Sat 12-Dec-15 10:56:23

That's the one, with a tin of evaporated milk delish!!

bluekarma Sat 12-Dec-15 11:01:17

Oh the milk chocolate cake. Was that the one with evaporated milk? My kids adored it. I used to use my little book every Friday when I did loads of baking for the weekend ?

thatbags Sat 12-Dec-15 11:06:42

Has your photocopy got the chocolate cake recipe in it, dunit? You know I have to test all chocolate cakes, especially the fudgy ones.

gardenermum Sat 12-Dec-15 11:24:26

The recipe is on their website:

Milk Chocolate Cake serves 12

200 g (7 oz) Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) salt
25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder, sieved
100 g (4 oz) margarine
2 medium eggs
5 x 15 ml spoon (5 tbsp) evaporated milk
5 x 15 ml spoon (5 tbsp) water
few drops vanilla essence

1 Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease 2 x 20.5 cm (8 inch) tins, not loose-bottomed as the mixture would run out.
2 Mix flour, sugar, salt and cocoa.
3 Rub in margarine. Beat eggs with milk.
4 Stir egg mixture, essence and liquids into the dry ingredients and beat well.
5 Place mixture in prepared tins and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
6 When cold sandwich and top with Milk Chocolate Icing (see above).

thatbags Sat 12-Dec-15 12:07:39

Woohoo! Thank you, gardnermum smile

cherryblossom Thu 17-Dec-15 12:33:24

Thanks fellow gransnetters! perfect idea for stocking fillers for DIL's hope I'm not to late. I remember the little book clearly cooking by my mothers nay grandma's side. I am 63 and if memory serves my first tested recipe was cheese scones. tchsmile

Greyduster Thu 17-Dec-15 15:35:45

I made melting moments on Saturday with GS. He enjoyed it and they were delicious (what was left of the mixture when he'd finished eating bits of it, and the cherries!). I used to make them with my mum - i'd forgotten how easy they were.

Nelliemoser Sat 02-Jan-16 17:33:29

I have just recieved my two copies of the the new BeRo cookery book, the same size but on shiny glossy pages.

What really amused me is that there are printed food splashes on several pages. Just to prove it's a good cook book. grin

I had almost forgotten I had sent for them. One is for DD.
Thank you BeRO.

Greyduster Sat 02-Jan-16 17:58:48

I made the milk chocolate cake as our Christmas cake this year (only DH likes rich fruit cake), covered in the milk chocolate icing and decorated. Everyone agreed it was delicious and kept really well.

phoenix Sat 02-Jan-16 18:07:01

Oh heavens, this brings back so many memories! My Gran had a Bero book, as I remember a sort of half page, slim book and as a youngster I used to make a fruitcake from that book, I was probably about 8?

Has anyone got that recipe?

Nelliemoser Sat 02-Jan-16 18:51:16

Phoenix
There was this post about how you can order the lastest edition of thje cookery book, this was further down the thread.

"Dear Be-Ro lovers,
For the 41st edition Be-Ro recipe book, send your name and address along with your payment for £2.50 (this includes P&P to UK) to The Be-Ro kitchen, PO Box 100, Blackburn, Lancs, BB0 1GR. Cheques or postal orders only. No cash please. "

phoenix Sun 03-Jan-16 12:36:56

Thanks Nellie !

Auntieflo Sun 03-Jan-16 16:30:11

Just reading this thread makes for nostalgia. Although I don't have a BeRo book, I do have a Stork cookery book from the early 1950's. It is held together with brown sticky paper tape, very dog eared and much used, complete with real stains. What gets me with modern recipes is the amount of eggs that are used now. Two almost always was sufficient, but these days it is three or four. Why? Do they taste any different? Any ideas?

Nelliemoser Mon 04-Jan-16 15:17:31

Auntiflo If it was a 50s cook book it was probably written in the days of post war rationing which continued until 4/7/1954.