Gransnet forums

Food

old Bero recipe

(39 Posts)
thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 16:55:15

Does anyone have the old Bero recipe for Melting Moments? Or a similar one?

Stansgran Thu 10-Dec-15 17:01:47

I have the old Bero book . I'll look at it tonight.

Luckygirl Thu 10-Dec-15 17:04:53

Bero - now that is a trip down memory lane!

gardenermum Thu 10-Dec-15 17:07:51

From the centenary edition:
65g, SR flour
40g caster sugar
50g margarine
Few drops vanilla essence
Oats or desiccated coconut
Glacé cherries

Cream margarine, sugar , essence
Stir in flour, mix thoroughly,
Divide mixture into 20 pieces, roll each into a ball, toss in oats or coconut
Place on greased baking trays, flatten slightly, and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit
Bake in moderate oven, 180 C , 350 F, gas 4, for about 15 minutes.

Never made these, but now I'm tempted.

Greyduster Thu 10-Dec-15 17:11:26

Here goes:
65 gms self raising flour
40 gms caster sugar
50 gms margarine
Few drops vanilla essence
Oats or dessicated coconut
Glace cherries

Cream margarine sugar and essence
Stir in flour and mix thoroughly
Divide mixture into 20 pieces, roll each piece into a ball and toss in oats or coconut
Place on a greased baking trays, flatten slightly and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit

Bake in a moderate oven180 degC, 350 deg F, gas mark 4 for about 15 minutes.

granjura Thu 10-Dec-15 17:11:43

I have two- my old one, and the one I bought for my mum- one is in lbs/oz only, the other has both kg and oz - I use them all the time.

thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 17:11:58

Thank you, gardenermum! I ate one of these homemade biscuits recently at someone's house and decided I want to make some. My mum probably still has her old Bero baking books but since she is blind she won't be using them now so I might ask her if I can have one next time I visit.

Thank you also, stansgran. Is yours the same?

Someone told me the 'original' recipe used lard instead of marg or butter.

Greyduster Thu 10-Dec-15 17:12:18

Aha! Pipped at the postsmile

thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 17:13:11

Ooh! thank you greyduster too smile

Stansgran Thu 10-Dec-15 17:13:51

5 oz BE RO FLOUR. 1/2 an EGG
3 oz CASTER SUGAR. 1 tsp of Vanilla essence
2 1/2 oz margarine.
ROLLED OATS or DESICCATED COCONUT
1 1/2 oz lard
Do you need the method ? It's cream fats add egg and essence. Form into balls with wet hands size of large marbles and roll in oats or coconut
Place on greased sheet and press out slightly
Bake in a moderate oven 350 -375 for 15-20 minutes. Decorate with glacé cherries. Makes 40

gardenermum Thu 10-Dec-15 17:25:08

Just looked online- the cook book is still offered, but no longer free. And the latest recipe reverts to lard.

An older version also mentioned wet hands for shaping the mixture.

Dear Be-Ro lovers,
For the 41st edition Be-Ro recipe book, send your name and address along with your payment for £2.50 (this includes P&P to UK) to The Be-Ro kitchen, PO Box 100, Blackburn, Lancs, BB0 1GR. Cheques or postal orders only. No cash please

gardenermum Thu 10-Dec-15 17:28:31

Sorry about the upside down photo - think this should be right

thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 17:30:12

Thanks again, and no thank you, stansgran, I'm fine with the creaming method.

MamaCaz Thu 10-Dec-15 22:45:05

I think that the recipe I use came from the Be-Ro book, though it's possible that the quantities have been doubled at some stage:

5 oz lard
3 oz marg
6 oz sugar
1 egg
1 teasp vanilla essence
10 oz S.R. flour

Oats for coating, and either jam or glace cherries for the centres.

Creaming method. Roll into walnut-sized balls, make a small hole in centre with finger and fill with jam or a glace cherry.

Space out well on baking trays and bake Reg 4 for approx. 20 mins.

These are still a family favourite, and I'll be making some for Christmas.

baubles Thu 10-Dec-15 22:51:42

My mother made these every week, think I'll do some at the weekend. #nostalgia

MamaCaz Thu 10-Dec-15 22:53:11

It looks from Gardenermum's photo as if my recipe has been copied out wrongly at some stage, as the ratios of lard to butter have been reversed. I've been using my version for over thirty years, so don't know whether to change it now or not grin.

Nelliemoser Thu 10-Dec-15 23:33:38

Oh, melting moments were lovely. I still have bits of a Bero cook book. It is on what was cheap paper which is now yellow and crumbling.
Thanks for that link Gardenermum.

I will get one for my daughter as well.

thatbags Fri 11-Dec-15 10:57:00

Made a batch this morning before brekkie (been up since five). I've just had a couple and they were fab smile.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 11-Dec-15 18:42:11

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I was recently thinking about my DM's old Be-ro book and in particular about melting moments. It's ages since I baked (we just eat it) but I am going to make some for friends coming next week.

flowers and brew for everyone who passed on the recipe

granjura Fri 11-Dec-15 21:37:12

You can go onto their website too:

www.be-ro.co.uk

and there are still old books for sale on e-bay, etc. Just Google 'be-ro book' and you will find them. Wouldn't it without mine.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Fri 11-Dec-15 23:25:25

I used to use my Be-Ro book constantly when children were little. Got lost when we moved house. Visited an old friend last year and she still had hers, so she photo copied it for me. So pleased to have the old recipes back. You can't beat them. Any time you want a copy thatbags will be pleased to pass one onto you. Or maybe it's just the melting moments you like.smile

thatbags Sat 12-Dec-15 09:00:14

Oh, yes please, dunit! Next time we meet up.

Baking things from the Bero book was my displacement activity when I was supposed to be doing A-level revision. No regrets! grin

Aurelia Sat 12-Dec-15 09:38:05

Forget the Melting Moments, it's Coffee Kisses that you need! brew

annsixty Sat 12-Dec-15 10:07:45

I also have about three quarters of the original small book and last year bemoaned the fact that a particularly delicious choc cake recipe was lost. A GNetter who called herself Beewitch PM'd it to me , for which many thanks but sadly she was very short lived on here. I found the newer book did miss some recipes out, the choc cake being one.

Greyduster Sat 12-Dec-15 10:50:38

Was it the milk chocolate cake, annsixty? I make this several times a year. It never fails and is always yummy.