Gransnet forums

Food

Note to self: write it down ...

(44 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:07:04

Just made my first ever batch of lentil soup. I tweaked an online recipe with my own preferences for spices, but forgot to write down what I used AND the quantities. It has turned out beautifully , but doubt I will ever make it the same again!!!! Anyone else managed / not managed that?

Elegran Wed 17-Feb-16 15:16:55

My soup is different every time round. Always good though!

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 15:32:14

Most of what I cook is 'throw it in and hope for the best' grin

Usually works!
(If people are coming I do use a recipe.)

Tizliz Wed 17-Feb-16 16:30:27

I am a search the bottom of the fridge to see what I can throw in.

I am not very keen on cauliflower soup but I have lots of frozen cauliflower and broccoli and cabbage (don't ask why), so does any one have a really good recipe using these.

M0nica Wed 17-Feb-16 19:02:54

Cauliflower and stilton. Googleit and choose which ever recipe takes your fancy. My recipe is of the chuck it in and see how it goes and involves cauliflower, onions, vegetable stock cube and stilton. Quantities vary every time. You can also make broccoli and stiliton, not sure about cabbage and stilton, but cabbage and bacon sounds as if it would be good, especially with a ham stock.

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 19:34:07

Cauliflower cheese, not as healthy as soup but delicious!
With broccoli if you like!

Indinana Wed 17-Feb-16 19:50:23

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese is a favourite here, and if there any odd bits of veg needing to be used up - carrots, French beans, courgettes, they get thrown in too. Sometimes I sprinkle flaked almonds over the top with the grated cheese before putting under the grill. Now that is delicious!

Imperfect my favourite soup of all time is a lentil and bacon recipe in my ancient Good Housekeeping cookbook. This is the only soup I don't make in my soup maker, because I always use brown or green lentils and they need more than 21 minutes to cook! Here's the recipe if you're interested:

6 oz brown/green lentils
2.5 pints stock
1 clove garlic, skinned and crushed
1 clove
salt and pepper
7 oz lean bacon rashers, rinded and diced
8 oz can tomatoes
4 oz onions, skinned and chopped
1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsps lemon juice

Wash lentils and put them in a saucepan with the stock. Add the garlic, clove, salt, pepper, bacon, tomatoes and onion. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until the lentils and bacon are soft. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 20 minutes. Remove the clove, pour the soup into a sieve or electric blender and purée until smooth. Add the lemon juice and re-heat to serving temperature.

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 19:52:42

I have all those ingredients, must try that one, thank you Indinana

and I have the Good Housekeeping book somewhere, but I threw the ancient one out and have a new version so it may not be in there.

Indinana Wed 17-Feb-16 20:09:47

Hope you enjoy it Jalima. My Good HK book was published in 1978. I've also got an even ancienter (gosh I thought that word would red line, but it hasn't. Surely it's not a proper word? confused) Mrs Beeton's Cookery and Household Management, circa 1960. Despite the couple of dozen other cookbooks that have found they way onto my shelves over the decades, those two stalwarts are still my 'go to' books smile

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 23:14:22

I have two copies of Mrs Beeton (not the full version!), one was my MIL's and the other was given to my mother when she got married in 1930 from the little boy she was nanny to. Neither in very good condition unfortunately.

Imperfect27 Thu 18-Feb-16 07:00:12

Thanks very much Indinana I will give it a go. All part of my thrift drive at the moment. smile

What didn't turn out so well yesterday was my home-made bread. Mine always turns out like stones - I followed the bread packet recipe to the letter - only adding water after all, but the quantity suggested made it far too gloopy so I kept adding more flour - heavy, very little rise and hard as rocks!!! DH impressed with the soup, but politely suggested we finish off the garlic bread that was lurking in the fridge.smile

mumofmadboys Thu 18-Feb-16 07:04:43

I made carrot and lentil soup in the soup maker and it was fine. So the lentils seemed fine with 21 minute cooking time. Does anyone else put lentils in their soup makers?

Imperfect27 Thu 18-Feb-16 07:25:40

I am intrigued. I didn't know you could get a soup maker. What are the virtues of a soup maker over and above a good thick-based saucepan? Does it whizz it all up once cooked?

Bellanonna Thu 18-Feb-16 08:10:49

There was a whole thread about them some months back*imperfect*. I actually bought mine on the basis of the comments, mostly in favour, and have used it a lot. It all comes with a recipe leaflet but I tend to google recipes. Yes it all gets blended although there is an unblended switch as well. Main advantage, it's quick and easy.

Imperfect27 Thu 18-Feb-16 08:25:44

Thanks Bellanonna. We have a tiny kitchen so I would have to think hard about justifying the space.
I only recently bought a hand-held blitzer, but worked a treat yesterday.

Bellanonna Thu 18-Feb-16 08:31:17

Well you will probably get just as good a result with the hand- held blitzer. I didn't have one and used to pour the saucepan contents into the food mixer and blitz it in there. Result: too much washing up. Enjoy your soup which sounds as though you're having success with it anyway !

aggie Thu 18-Feb-16 08:32:49

those bread mix packets are a bit gloopy , I stick to the amount of water though and they turn out ok , if a bit too salty for me

Imperfect27 Thu 18-Feb-16 08:36:54

Yes - the stones were very salty too! grin The mixture was very wet - and the method assumed you had a food processor for the kneading part. Won't be doing that one again!

Enough soup for lunch today too so at least something went right.

Tizliz Thu 18-Feb-16 09:51:58

Wish this site had a 'thanks' button. So thank you for all the suggestions.

Craftycat Thu 18-Feb-16 09:56:46

Spicy Butternut Squash. Made a batch yesterday. I can now get meaty bones from local supermarket to make stock so it is a real treat to have a good stock base for soup making. I find it very therapeutic too.
save the rind from Parmesan cheese to put in too which gives it a lovely tangy flavour.
Yum- roll on lunchtime!

mumofmadboys Thu 18-Feb-16 09:57:56

I too bought my soup maker after reading the thread in about October. I am really pleased with it and use it a couple of times a week at least.

Indinana Thu 18-Feb-16 09:58:51

mumofmadboys I've made lentil soup in the soup maker too, but with red lentils which don't need as much time to soften. The green lentils I've got in the cupboard require 40 minutes cooking time, according to the instructions on the packet. I don't have any brown lentils at the moment, but I have a feeling they need even longer - might be wrong there.

cherryblossom Thu 18-Feb-16 10:00:43

Gadget mad DH bought me what I thought would be something else to sit along side other impulse kitchen purchases. Soupmaker fab! would not be without it now, we love our soups and it is so quick and easy to use.

mewsmuse Thu 18-Feb-16 10:11:48

I was given a book on Depression when my DD was suffering through a real black dog one, and got this recipe out of that book. During the dark, wet winter months I always make some for her. It cheers her up enormously and everyone I know has the recipe and loves it! Easy peasy too!

Large onion well chopped
4 garlic cloves well chopped
2 large sticks of celery well chopped
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Tin of Cannellioni beans
Good squirt of tomatoe puree
Good sprinkling of Italian herbs
Optional tsp of chilli flakes
Pint of vegetable stock (I use 2 cubes)
S & P to taste.

Saute onions in a medium sized saucepan in a little oil and when transparent, add garlic and celery and continue cooking for about 8 mins. Add tomatoes and drained beans and stir in, gthen add puree and seasoning. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 1/2 hr covered.

You can also add any left over veg and even chopped chicken, ham etc.

ENJOY!

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:14:28

Can anyone recommend a make and type of soup maker?
It seems quite a few GNetters have bought one since the soup maker thread