Gransnet forums

Food

Note to self: write it down ...

(45 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:07:04

Just made my first ever batch of lentil soup. I tweaked an online recipe with my own preferences for spices, but forgot to write down what I used AND the quantities. It has turned out beautifully , but doubt I will ever make it the same again!!!! Anyone else managed / not managed that?

annifrance Thu 18-Feb-16 10:20:24

Jerusalem artichoke and carrot - it's a Delia
French Onion - Julia Childs Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Mother in Laws Mushroom - secret!
Roasted Tomato and Basil - another Delia

pinkwallpaper Thu 18-Feb-16 10:21:29

Cauliflower purée instead of pea seems to be the new thing served with scallops and bacon in restaurants. Delicious

EllenT Thu 18-Feb-16 10:40:16

Our new favourite soup is this one from the New York Times cooking site which is a good source of new ideas in general. In case the link doesn't work, their full recipe is below, with a couple of my notes in brackets. It's worth the longish list of ingredients and really tasty.
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016062-red-lentil-soup-with-lemon

3 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste (NYT always specifies kosher salt, which seems to be coarse grained, a bit less ordinary salt works well.)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of ground chile powder or cayenne, more to taste (we like more)
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth (I use cubes)
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)

In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
Using an immersion or regular blender or a food processor, purée half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 18-Feb-16 10:45:19

I made a "leftovers" soup the other day using all the cooked veg left from a Sunday roast. Cauliflower and broccoli cheese, carrots, mashed swede, cabbage, roast potatoes and parsnips and sprouts. I chucked it all into a large saucepan covered it with a stock made from Marigold stock powder brought it to the boil and simmered for about 15 minutes then liquidised it in the pan with a stick blender. Wasn't expecting anything great, just didn't want to waste all that veg. In fact it was delicious, and very filling.

MammaN Thu 18-Feb-16 10:52:04

I always made soup in a saucepan - quite successfully. DS bought me a soup maker for Christmas a couple of years ago and I actually find it more of a faf than the saucepan etc. Just a few months in it stopped working and I had to chase up a guarantee. Eventually I got it replaced but the new one leaks and I can't be a***d to go through the rigmarole of getting them to agree the guarantee again and pack it up to post it off.

littlegran Thu 18-Feb-16 11:23:54

I have a Tefal soup maker and can recommend it,also Morphy richards which a friend has.

mischief Thu 18-Feb-16 12:07:16

My favourite soup is Butternut Squash and Cumin. The flavour is delicious and I make it even better by putting a dollop of Soured Cream in the bottom before pouring the hot soup into the bowl and you get that lovely spriral of white as you stir it through. The taste is divine too. Yum

Cerocer13 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:29:45

I've had my soup maker for over a year now and I love it. I got it from The Range, Salter is the make. Think they are £36 now.

Midge Thu 18-Feb-16 14:24:50

I haven't space for a soup maker. A large pan and hand held blitzer works just fine. Our favourite soup at the moment is courgette and cucumber. Largely what's left in the veg rack plus a dollop of white wine reduced with the onions. Yum

Rhonab Thu 18-Feb-16 14:29:58

We have the Cuisinart soup maker which is excellent ... I'm quite sure other cheaper makes are good too since it's essentially just a blender with a heating element! I used it all the time when I was working and the husband was still in Denmark. Less so now as his (Danish) idea of soup is very different from mine. Still useful for a quick lentil and bacon, or potato and leek since it whizzes them too. ?

moobox Thu 18-Feb-16 18:21:44

I got my soupmaker by default. MIL bought one and decided it was too complicated and electronic for her. So now I have it and am enjoying it, and believe me it is not complicated - press 2 buttons and you have soup!

Victoria08 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:29:52

Red pepper, lentil and vegetable soup.

Very simple.

Sauté onions, carrots and chopped celery and sliced leek for 10 mins.
Add chopped red peppers for another five minutes
Then add vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes and a approx 220grams of red lentils. Season and bring to boil, then simmer for around half an hour.

I sometimes eat it chunky and then blitz the rest in my nutribullet for a smoother soup. Must try some different recipes now as always tend to make this.

Victoria08 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:31:25

Mischief. Have you got recipe for your butternut squash and cumin soup.

Sufjansgranny Fri 19-Feb-16 09:09:39

Found this recipe in a Greek cookery book, since lost, but this survived.

Greek Bean Soup

2 cans of Heinz beans, 2 large diced carrots, 1 large diced onion, 1 cup celery leaves + stalks, half a head of crushed garlic, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. dried mint, 1 cup chopped parsley, half cup olive oil, basil, oregano etc., 2 small cans tomato paste, salt, pepper, chicken stock, and some marrow bones (not essential).

In a large saucepan, sauté onions, carrots, parsley, celery, garlic and herbs in olive oil till golden brown. Add tomato paste and beans, stir well. Add the stock to cover three -quarters way up the pan. Add bones, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft.

littlegran Fri 19-Feb-16 12:28:36

Still prefer to make my soup in my thirty year old pressure cooker.

annodomini Fri 19-Feb-16 12:37:10

I always use my pressure cooker for soups. Favourite at the moment is pea and mint, followed by spicy butternut squash.

mumofmadboys Thu 25-Feb-16 07:17:51

Cheerytrees59. I have the Morphy Richards soup maker with a saute function. Not used the sauté function yet though. Will also make smoothies. Cost £50 on line

Stansgran Thu 25-Feb-16 10:49:07

Favourite soup at the moment is Habitant . It's a Canadian soup with yellow split peas. I have a folder of soup recipes and will add some of these. Another favourite is a weightwatchers vegetable soup which is always made for late night arrivals from abroad. Don't know why.

JackyB Thu 25-Feb-16 12:00:52

My pressure cooker is no longer in use, and I am still looking for one to replace it - a Prestige that I got as a wedding present. But the Recipe book is brilliant and I still use the lentil soup recipe as a basis for making lentil soup.

I wouldn't bother writing down any ingredients, imperfect. It's going to turn out different every time anyway, and you may not have the same ingredients to hand another time. And next time it might be even better, so you'll want to write that one down as well! And so it goes on!