Gransnet forums

Food

Hot Cross Buns

(98 Posts)
Elrel Thu 24-Mar-16 10:35:16

I've always enjoyed them, toasted with butter, but was disconcerted in M&S. This year they have EIGHT different versions. Has anyone tried them? I can't taste/test them all!

Alea Thu 24-Mar-16 10:42:45

Blimey!!
Have they got them with Quinoa/linseed/kimchi/focaccia/sun dried olives? No?
How positively antediluvian! grin

Elrel Thu 24-Mar-16 10:56:27

Not yet!

Alea Thu 24-Mar-16 10:58:38

They will sad [doomed] emoticon !

Badenkate Thu 24-Mar-16 11:10:05

Has anyone tried them with bacon like the advert?

rosesarered Thu 24-Mar-16 11:41:54

I can tell you that we have tried every single version of the M&S hot cross buns, the ginger ones are marvellous either fresh toasted, the blueberry are better eaten as fresh as poss, the luxury normal ones are great either way and the choc/fudge are marvellous but not toasted.Others are not that great, but you will have to try them yourselves to decide! It's a hard job but somebody has to do it.smile

shysal Thu 24-Mar-16 11:51:25

I tried the St Clement's from M&S, they are delicious. The pack was sitting alone on a shelf near the checkout, calling to me. Thank goodness they are in packs of 4 not 6, as they were gone within less than 2 days, there being only me to eat them!
Trying to eat low carb now, so not been near the store for weeks.

tanith Thu 24-Mar-16 12:15:54

I like my hot cross buns as they are meant to be.

annodomini Thu 24-Mar-16 12:39:49

Surely some of the modern versions (chocolate?) of HCBs are a step too far from the traditional spicy recipe. I can't face the thought of the trendy Heston buns sold in Waitrose. There's a bakery in Cheadle Hulme that makes the very best I've ever encountered. They are only sold in Holy Week as is right and proper. I wish I'd had time to go over and get some but not this time. They are usually sold out very quickly.

ffinnochio Thu 24-Mar-16 12:45:59

I can't get them here sad. I'm not really a great baker, so I can't see myself rolling up my sleeves just yet, and they wouldn't be like the bog standard squashed packets of six I knew and loved anyway.

LullyDully Thu 24-Mar-16 12:48:17

Too lovely to unadulterate with anything but butter.

LullyDully Thu 24-Mar-16 12:49:16

Sorry....adulterate...dear old kindle checking up on me again.

NanaandGrampy Thu 24-Mar-16 12:52:28

Traditional for me , preferably toasted with lashings of proper butter.

Costco do marvellous ones but they are in trays of 12! Oh go on then !!

annodomini Thu 24-Mar-16 13:29:56

A tray of 12 would do nicely, NannaandGramy. Just send a few in this direction please.

BBbevan Thu 24-Mar-16 14:01:01

I might just lick any old one if this LCHF diet gets too much.

merlotgran Thu 24-Mar-16 14:39:34

I used to wake up to the delicious smell of Mum's hot cross buns. She would serve them with a flourish shouting, 'Happy Good Friday!'

I remember saying, 'Shouldn't we be sad on Good Friday?'

To which Dad would reply, 'Not on your Nellie, if you want to avoid WW3' grin

aggie Thu 24-Mar-16 14:44:11

hot cross buns , toasted and a wedge of cheese in the middle ........ drooooool

durhamjen Thu 24-Mar-16 14:52:18

Some in the oven at the moment, made by my grandson.

Alea Thu 24-Mar-16 14:56:36

Rosesarered I and the others would like to express our sincere gratitude for the in depth research into all the different M&S hot X buns you have undertaken for our benefit. Truly a noble sacrifice grin
#ahardjobbutsomeonehadtodoit

Indinana Thu 24-Mar-16 15:03:34

I would probably like the ginger ones, but I am really a traditionalist, so for Good Friday it would be the standard spicy hot cross buns, popped in the oven for half an hour to make them all crispy on the outside and warm and steamy on the inside. Yum smile

Any other time of year they go in the toaster, but on Good Friday it's got to be the oven!

BBbevan Thu 24-Mar-16 15:25:45

Right, I think I might leave this thread now, It is getting too much for me. Have a lovely Easter everyone and I will join you next yearflowers

Galen Thu 24-Mar-16 15:25:47

What temperature? And for how long?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Mar-16 15:32:50

The Co-op 'Loved by Us" ones come out well in the taste tests. And there is a Co-op near us. And they will be open tomorrow. This year I can definitely not be ar--- to make my own.

Merlot I like that. [grin

Galen the temperature is the all-important thing. And it's a bugger to get right. Too cool - they don't rise, too hot - they blacken. hmm

And then there's those fiddly little crosses to cut out...

EllenT Thu 24-Mar-16 16:07:40

Maybe I'm making this up in some cosy fantasy about a 1950s childhood, but I think when I was very young we had warm buns from the baker on Good Friday. They were spicier and somehow more substantial in texture than commercial ones now. Waitrose wholemeal version isn't bad though. We tried making our own a year or so ago but they went from pallid to burnt in seconds.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Mar-16 16:15:04

Yes. We always used to go to the baker's shop down the road. The buns would come out from the back on huge wooden trays.

Other days you could get "six mixed buns please" for 6d. (Forties/early fifties)