Gransnet forums

Food

Trifle

(83 Posts)
pompa Sat 09-Apr-16 17:48:20

Just watching Bake off creme de la creme on catchup.

One of the judges said he didn't want to see boozy soggy custard with fruit, jelly and custard.

Bloody idiot - I would kill for that, to hell with all the fancy stuff, just give me school diners trifle plus a lot of booze.

whitewave Sat 09-Apr-16 17:51:41

So would I pompa loooooove it.

pompa Sat 09-Apr-16 17:55:44

That should have been boozy soggy sponge etc.

merlotgran Sat 09-Apr-16 17:56:43

Everything they make looks pretty inedible to me.

How long before we get another 'stay away from sugar or die' lecture from the BBC?

pompa Sat 09-Apr-16 18:00:35

Yes some amazing goodies.

I was a bit concerned about them using plastic flower pots. They are made from the cheapest recycle plastic available with a lot of colourant, none of which is food grade and would contain some nasty chemicals.

pompa Sat 09-Apr-16 18:03:17

LOL. Merlot, I thought you said incredible, not inedible. I'm sure I could make a big dent in some of their creations.

granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 18:11:38

I make a brilliant 'fusion' Ango-Swiss trifle:

sponge cake covered with black cherries in kirsch (juice thickened with a little cornflour or arrowroot) - proper home-made custard with real vanilla and a little whipped cream folded in with thin layer of whipped cream and a few black cherries to decorate wtih shavings of dark (Swiss of course) chocolate.

But I am with the Judge on NO jelly- and no cheap tinned fruit.

ninathenana Sat 09-Apr-16 18:23:33

I'm drooling granjura
Black cherries ? are my favourite fruit

Imperfect27 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:42:33

Jelly every time here ...but only just enough to cover the sponge and always with lashings of alcohol ...

merlotgran Sat 09-Apr-16 18:48:34

I agree they look incredible, pompa

As a child I hated the texture of sponge cake inside jelly so I've always made trifle without it.

granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 18:56:58

ninathenana - just try it.

First made it when lots of family from UK came over from Christmas- adn we did traditional British turkey and all the trimmings- but wanted to make something more 'Swiss' for pud. It was a massive success and a staple in the family now for special occasions. (anglo-swiss of course)

Luckygirl Sat 09-Apr-16 19:02:57

I go for quick and easy trifle - the GC love it. Jelly (sorry chaps) made with a tiny bit of water in the microwave to melt it then top up with cold - that way it sets quickly. Old stale cake in bottom of bowl, then frozen raspberries - pour jelly over it all and the jelly sets before you can blink. Then add some nice tinned custard, a wee GC to pour over some "sprinkles" and Bob's you uncle.

Sorry granjura you are probably in a state of shock at this travesty of a trifle - but they lap it up with great joy!

annsixty Sat 09-Apr-16 19:04:57

No jelly for me but lots of alcohol, fresh fruit, real custard and lots of double cream.
I actually like the sponge to be thinly sliced jam roll. Does that make me a pleb?

pompa Sat 09-Apr-16 19:12:52

No. it makes you someone i want to visit for trifle.

granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 19:12:59

hihi - it's ok, I'll survive ;) and raspberries are one of my favourite fruit too (but yes, I admit, not being born British jelly is a no no here- and so is tinned custard- although I do make Bird's (old fashioned style not the disgusting quick stuff).

Hey, each to their own x

annsixty Sat 09-Apr-16 19:15:27

pompayou and Mrs are welcome anytime.

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 19:27:16

Granjura that sounds fab.

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 19:27:56

I now want a bowl of it [right now!]

Greyduster Sat 09-Apr-16 19:52:32

I still make trifle in the glass trifle dish my mum used - nothing special, but it's a nice size for a family gathering - we all like trifle. I make it pretty much the same as luckygirl but I put cream on top of the custard, and glacé cherries. No alcohol if GS is going to be eating it - if not, then lots of sherry! Trifle is not just a pudding, it's a comfort!

NanKate Sat 09-Apr-16 20:21:48

I've just had some dental surgery and my DH bought me a mix berry trifle as I would be able to eat it easily - what a lovely man. grin. I could eat the lot !

bookdreamer Sat 09-Apr-16 20:22:00

I love trifle. Especially the quick, cheap, easy sort! Tinned fruit a must. Anyone tried the Bird's trifle in a box. Memories of early adulthood. Not allowed when I was a child!

annsixty Sat 09-Apr-16 20:27:57

I also have a trifle dish passed down through the family. It is not valuable apart from sentimental but is probably 120 years old in machine pressed glass. Always promotes attention. The only problem is it makes trifle for about 12.

loopylou Sat 09-Apr-16 20:35:43

Black Forest trifle is luscious (chocolate Swiss roll + kirsch, black cherries, chocolate custard, whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings.......and supermarket raspberry trifle hits the spot too!

Trifle for about 12 annsixty? I've got a similar dish and trifle seems to vanish just as fast when only 6 people present! ?

BBbevan Sat 09-Apr-16 20:36:09

I make a trifle like my Mum and her mother before her. Sponge soaked in sherry then jelly to set. Then fruit, my Mum always used fruit cocktail from a tin. We prefer raspberries. Then pink blancmange, Custard on top of that and then cream Decorate with whatever you want. Must make a good sucky sound when served.

Charleygirl Sat 09-Apr-16 20:44:17

Thank goodness this is something I do not like- it would not do my waist much good. I do not like sponge, jelly, sherry or custard so trifle is a non starter.