Gransnet forums

Food

Your recipe for a good cottage pie

(79 Posts)
rosesarered Mon 11-Apr-16 14:41:24

Following on from the trifle thread, do you have a good personal way of making cottage pie? there can't be as many variations of course ( as trifle) but am interested in seeing as many as possible, showing all ingredients.

sweetcakes Fri 15-Apr-16 10:56:22

Has anyone seen the advert this morning from dolmio saying that people shouldn't eat their products more than once a week because it could be bad for you, well that's a first shock

Tizliz Fri 15-Apr-16 10:38:22

My sin is frozen chopped onions and peppers. Not good if you just want them fried as a vegetable but in a casserole or soup they are wonderful. And no getting the last onion out the cupboard to find it is soft.

sweetcakes Fri 15-Apr-16 10:24:28

kittylester I am disabled and I have mobility problems my muscles are wasting but I don't use jars I make from scratch it might take a bit longer to prepare but it tastes better plus I can control the amount of salt that goes in it and I don't put sugar in bolognese compared to what goes in jar 6 tsp.
I do admit to using knorr stock pots though and colmans chilli mix

sweetcakes Fri 15-Apr-16 10:05:39

My mums corn beef hash
Mash potatoes a little butter no milk
Tin of corn beef
Tin of beans
Grated cheese.

Put beans in bottom of casserole dish mix the mash with the corn beef if you want chunks of beef don't mix as much spoon it on top of beans smooth and top with cheese pop into oven at 180 and cook for 30mins ish until golden brown serve with brown HP sauce.
This was mums go to dish at the end of the week before getting the housekeeping. I still make it now OH loves it he calls it no effort eating lol

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 09:52:14

Bought mash can be gorgeous. But very high in butter! (And you add more kittylester! grin)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 09:51:03

Colemans and Shwartz shepherds pie mixes both contain pottasium chloride. Wonder why they put that in? (don't actually know what it is but sounds unpleasant)
Knorr Stockpots have it too. Perhaps it's harmless.

kittylester Fri 15-Apr-16 09:13:30

I have been shocked too Ann. I can see mobility can make cooking difficult but it does look as though lots of people resort to packets and jars with all additives they contain.

Says she, who uses bought mash.blush

Nana3 Fri 15-Apr-16 08:52:30

roses Lancashire families have their own versions of hot-pot. But most of us like to finish it off with a crust of short crust pastry. It's not the same and quite disappointing without the crust. It must be served with either pickled cabbage or beetroot.

annsixty Fri 15-Apr-16 08:49:05

Secondary question, can they just be added to meat, chicken etc and thrown in the slow cooker? Are jars good also?

annsixty Fri 15-Apr-16 08:47:04

I am very surprised, even shocked, to see so many packet mixes used in these recipes, and my question is, are they as good as from scratch? With my current mobility problem I need to cut down the time standing and simplify my menus. Also which are the best makes? I see Colman's mentioned several times.

AidaTomes Fri 15-Apr-16 08:18:07

Thanks for sharing this mouth watering recipe.

Tessa101 Fri 15-Apr-16 02:15:36

Like cherrytree59 I put in either Worcester sauce or daddies sauce adds real twang to the flavour.

jan727 Thu 14-Apr-16 22:43:05

2 large onions finely chopped , Add 500gr of mince. When the meat is browned add a squirt of A AAtomato puree and 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Mix well Use a crosse and Blackwell cottage pie mix and empty into the saucepan. Puti
in a tin of peas and a tin of sliced carrots Stir well. Add bisto onion gravy granules until nice and thick. Empty into a large Pyrex oval dish. Peel 2lbs of potatoes. Boil
and when soft strain and add butter and mash. Empty onto the meat and use a fork to put thepotato ..onto the meat. When you are ready to cook the pie put it into an oven ( no need to pre-heat ) fan oven 200 for 45 minutes. Should serve about 6 . Delicious, (mix the cottage pie mix with water as stated on packet but just add the gravy granules unmixed).

PenJK50 Thu 14-Apr-16 22:18:40

My husband who has taken over cooking since we retired (and no he is not for sale) makes the best cottage pies ever! He insists on caramelising the onions which gives a wonderful depth of flavour.

MammaN Thu 14-Apr-16 14:53:10

Corned Beef Hash:
Put cubed potato, cubed swede, sliced onion, sliced carrot, chopped celery, oxo cube in a saucepan with water to cover and boil gently until soft. Add cubed corned beef and a little more water if needed to cover. Heat through. Add processed peas and reheat but don't let peas boil into bits(!). Add seasoning and thicken as necessary. Serve in soup bowl. Usually with bread though it is very filling without the bread.

Coolgran65 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:51:24

I often add a tin of baked beans to a cottage pie filling, bulks it up, lots of fibre, and yummy with the cheese on top of the mash.

squirrel5 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:38:37

I make a cottage pie similar to all the above, but my favorite is hairy bikers recipe in their slimming book, very tasty

Hattiehelga Thu 14-Apr-16 13:27:11

All the usual ingredients plus a teaspoonful of mild curry powder - a tip from my Mum many moons ago. Incidentally, the Mary Berry recipe topped with dauphinois potatoes is really nice for a change.

sallyswin Thu 14-Apr-16 12:53:53

DiL's recipe for Chilli con carne. Fry 1lb mince, add tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of baked beans (I sometimes us Heinz Five Beans in tomato sauce) and a packet of Colmans Chilli con carne sauce. Then cook in oven or I use a slow cooker. DH doesn't like things too hot and its just right for him. I know it's not the usual red beans, but the bean sauce makes it nice and 'creamy' and if you use the five beans you get a few red ones in there.

rosesarered Thu 14-Apr-16 12:37:28

grin
Yes, lamb for shepherds pie, beef for cottage pie.Sliced potatoes on top is Lancashire hot pot isn't it? confused

Coolgran65 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:27:27

I have always cooked shepherd's pie.... with minced beef, and was well a middle aged adult before I learned that minced beef made it a 'cottage pie'.

However, I am now inspired by this thread and tonight we, plus 2 dgc, will be having shepherd's cottage pie.

Or as the dgc children 8 and 5 call it.... cutie pie.

spallam Thu 14-Apr-16 10:52:43

My daughter suggested I look at ' Change 4 Life' recipes that are part of the healthy eating initiatives. They have a super recipe for cottage pie that has lots of vegetables in it. My family absolutely love it - even my DH, who usually would refrain from eating anything green!

Indinana Thu 14-Apr-16 10:37:34

I agree with skullduggery - shepherd's pie is made with lamb, while cottage pie is the beef version.

Greyduster Thu 14-Apr-16 09:51:09

I may be wrong (usually am) but I thought that if it had mashed potato on top it was shepherds pie and if it had sliced potatoes on the top, it was cottage pie. Yes? No? Maybe?

Skullduggery Thu 14-Apr-16 09:09:33

Mmmm, yummy recipes. Thank you for sharing.
I have a tiny bugbear, if I may?
Over here in Ireland, I regularly see 'shepherds pie' on the menu in a cafe, pub etc but it's nearly always made with beef.
I still enjoy it don't get me wrong, but surely it's cottage pie if the main ingredient is beef and shepherds pie, if made with lamb?

However, I'm a bit of a contrary bugger in that I add a dollop of quality mint jelly or sauce to my shepherds or cottage pie mix before adding the mash.