Gransnet forums

Food

Tablet ? Toffee or fudge ?

(35 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 16-Apr-16 17:23:12

If there a kind Scots who can advise me please? I have made Tablet which I was given to understand was a Scots toffee. It has been in the fridge three hours and still not hardened . So is tablet a toffee but very soft ?

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Apr-16 17:32:18

I am not Scottish but my SisIL is and she has given me tablet.
The following is just my opinion smile

I think tablet is like fudge but without the little bit of chewiness that fudge may have. It melts the quickest and is even sweeter than fudge.

Fudge lasts a bit longer in the mouth than tablet and is a little creamier/more chewy, but not chewy like toffee.

Toffee - really chewy and haven't touched it in years as it proved too expensive for dental repairs when my fillings or crowns came out.

grannylyn65 Sat 16-Apr-16 17:39:57

yep!!

Charleygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 18:00:30

Yes, tablet is harder, sweeter and delicious.

Alea Sat 16-Apr-16 18:02:56

Yes please.
Next question?

Anniebach Sat 16-Apr-16 18:06:22

Fantastic, I got it right , thank you, it is very sweet isn't it? grin I will force myself to eat more

Alea Sat 16-Apr-16 18:08:26

Don't be a martyr! Share it round, we'll nom nom help you dispose of itgrin

M0nica Sat 16-Apr-16 18:28:52

For me bought tablet is like home made fudge. It is grainy with the sugar and melts in your mouth, compared with bought fudge which is chewy like a very soft toffee.

I always thought tablet was the Scottish word for fudge (home made variety)

baubles Sat 16-Apr-16 19:15:12

Tablet and fudge are two different things. Equally delicious though.

I made tablet as favours for my daughter's wedding and had a few trial runs beforehand. It was a wonder I could fit into the dress I'd bought when the time came. shock

hildajenniJ Sat 16-Apr-16 19:17:56

Tablet is a grainy, sugary type of fudge. It is harder than regular fudge,but utterly delicious.

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Apr-16 19:52:48

Lovely but only a small piece at time or sugar over load!
Edinburgh rock very nice too. But also very sweet

Anniebach Sat 16-Apr-16 20:04:23

I will admit I will be making more , after I finish off this tray smile

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:29:38

If it's not set properly you could always spoon it up grin

My Scots friend used to say 'Ooh, tablet!' when we saw some, but I have never eaten it.
I do love proper fudge, preferebly made in Devon or Cornwall and sold in little shops in cellophane packs, not the sort in boxes.

I am going to google the recipe for tablet

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:32:22

shock
2lb of sugar
AND sweetened condensed milk - and butter etc!!!
I won't tell the sugar tsar

although I have made a banoffee pie and a cheesecake for tomorrow's lunch (family coming over, not all for me).

grannyqueenie Sat 16-Apr-16 20:39:34

Jalima you forgot the cup of milk, preferably full fat!!! It's scrumptious, but deadly, and has a taste and texture all of it's own. I only make it at Christmas, by popular demand from the family. My eldest daughter is afraid I'll pop my clogs without her knowing the recipe! grin

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:41:00

I think that was the etc grannyqueenie grin

Very similar to proper fudge, I daren't make any because I would eat the lot!

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:41:47

Are you still OK anniebach - hope you don't have a sugar overload!

Anniebach Sat 16-Apr-16 20:41:50

But the butter was unsalted, I am all for healthy eating

Anniebach Sat 16-Apr-16 20:44:56

fine thanks Jalima, just thinking of taking a walk up the mountain range

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 21:49:24

shock not now, wait until morning!

I just ate some of DGS's Easter bunny (not much, I wasn't offered a lot grin) and I feel a bit sick now.

Thingmajig Sun 17-Apr-16 12:44:03

My mother makes lovely tablet, wonder if I could drop it into the conversation on our next visit??? A few squares would be very nice right now! grin

varian Sun 17-Apr-16 13:02:42

Anniebach if it's been in the fridge for hours without setting there's no point in leaving it longer. Take it out and microwave it in a bowl, stopping to stir it every three minutes, then when it is a light caramel colour and beginning to thicken, take it out and beat it with an electric mixer for ten to fifteen minutes, by which time it should have thickened but still be pliable enough to spread back into the tin, when it should set quite quickly at room temperature. The texture of perfect tablet is crunchy and melt in the mouth, not soft like English fudge or hard and chewy like toffee. Good luck!

annodomini Sun 17-Apr-16 13:08:40

My mother made perfect tablet which I have occasionally been able to emulate. However, If I made it, I'd be tempted to eat it and it must be the most calorific substance known to humanity. Mum used to take a little box of tablet when we went visiting. 'Aye tak something in your haun' was the custom. (Always take something in your hand).

annodomini Sun 17-Apr-16 13:10:46

PS Is it any wonder I have more fillings than teeth?

Anniebach Sun 17-Apr-16 13:17:33

varian, it has set but not hard like toffee , more soft like fudge