Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite Jam

(64 Posts)
Antjexix Thu 05-May-16 08:23:32

I have bought a jar of Mackays Seedless Bramble Preserve and openend it this morning to have on my toast...I'm in heaven. I normally buy Hartleys but thought I try something different. Which is other gransnetters favourite jam or preserve?

Nelliemoser Thu 05-May-16 08:29:29

My home made damson jam. We have sussed out a sorce of wild damsons nearby and use lots of them as jam, chutney and damson gin. I
like jam to have a tang to it. I also make gooseberry jam.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 08:44:52

All of them I love jam and honey. I particularly like damson, black currant, raspberry and bramble?

Funnygran Thu 05-May-16 08:47:20

Damson for me too, I wish I could find wild ones Nellimoser. But we do have brambles growing in abundance alongside fields about a mile away and got about 6 jars of jam last year from them. We have to watch for just the right time to go picking as lots of other people have the same idea!

Teetime Thu 05-May-16 09:37:43

I seem to have gone off jam and marmalade in recent years and jars just get left to moulder. DH likes honey and I might have a bit of that but generally don't use spreads. I used to like lemon curd but its so calorific I avoid it now. I do like peanut butter but DH hates the smell of it so that's out too. What a sad little spreadless life I have!! sad

annodomini Thu 05-May-16 09:48:15

Damson. There is a tree at the bottom of the garden, but the most fruitful branches hang, inaccessibly, over the brook. sad

Charleygirl Thu 05-May-16 09:53:08

Damson or plum, yummy. I do not make jam- I would never get through it, a jar or maybe two a year is my limit so a friend supplies me.

henetha Thu 05-May-16 10:55:09

I like jam that is not too sweet, so blackcurrant, damson or plum.

ginny Thu 05-May-16 11:35:54

A good raspberry jam is best for me.

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-May-16 12:08:46

Rhubarb and ginger and Bramble Jelly (does that count. You spread it on)
My grans was the best. smile

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-May-16 12:10:51

Rhubarb and ginger.
Also bramble jelly

rubysong Thu 05-May-16 13:11:43

Damson is my favourite. (It seems to be winning!) A friend has a large tree and usually gives me a jar, which is delicious.

Auntieflo Thu 05-May-16 13:36:54

Home made Raspberry for me. Also love Greengage jam, as I have found a local source. This morning I bought a jar of Blackcurrant jam from a Charity stall at Church. Anything home made gets my vote really.

gillybob Thu 05-May-16 15:09:40

Hartley's Bramble Jelly for me. I could just eat some on brown bread and butter but sadly I am at work. Might have to have some when I get home though.

Stansgran Thu 05-May-16 15:25:10

My DM made beautiful bramble jelly and lemon curd I made apple butter recently. There's a deli in Crieff which sells homemade raspberry jam. Wonderful.

gillybob Thu 05-May-16 15:27:24

Oh I like Lemon Curd too Stansgran spread really thick on warm toast. I am drooling now.

Antjexix Thu 05-May-16 15:44:23

I have never tried damson jam,so that will be something I'll have to find. An acquaintance in the village sells homemade jam so I'll have to pop round. I must agree,homemade does taste best smile

annodomini Thu 05-May-16 15:51:04

My granny's home-made jam from home-grown raspberries on her home-baked scones...what a memory that is! She used to make delicious apple jelly too.

ninathenana Thu 05-May-16 15:53:11

Slightly off topic.
I bought two packs of finest scones in Tesco Tuesday, Un be known to me I'd inadvertently picked up one pack of fruit and one cheese.
H has just presented me with two cheese scones and strawberry jam hmm
"Didn't you notice when you cut them ?" I asked
Didn't you notice when you bought them" he replied
End of conversation grin Yes I ate them.

Antjexix Thu 05-May-16 15:54:07

grin

grannylyn65 Thu 05-May-16 16:02:47

Where in Crieff? will be there for weekend! ?

cornergran Thu 05-May-16 16:20:38

Love it ninthenana, just the sort of thing I'd do. grin. My favourite is bramble jelly, just need to smell it to be reminded of picking fruit with my Mum and her making the jelly afterwards. Always makes me smile.

rubylady Fri 06-May-16 01:03:22

I buy Mackays too Antjexix, but have not tried Bramble, I normally buy Strawberry or Marmalade. I too had never tasted anything like it and the good thing is that I don't need a lot on the bread/toast to get the taste unlike other jams. I will have to try the Bramble now and buy some crusty rolls, yummy. smile

Antjexix Fri 06-May-16 06:57:53

DH has found it even though I hid it at back of the fridge,he loved it too grin

TwiceAsNice Fri 06-May-16 07:03:16

Bonne Maman peach or apricot jams fro France although you can usually buy them here now these are fab on scones. For toast its Tiptree orange and tangerine marmalade. I hate blackcurrant jam but have not tried damson