Gransnet forums

Food

root ginger

(36 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 20-May-16 14:26:20

I love the flavour of fresh ginger, but I'm a bit limited when it comes to ideas how to use it.
The only way I use it regularly is peeled, grated and added to the juice in a fresh fruit salad. I've just made one with pineapple, tinned with juice) mango, strawberries and melon. Some lemon juice in the syrup too - don't like it too sweet.
How do others use it?

tiggypiro Fri 20-May-16 14:51:36

Not an idea of how to use (except with rhubarb at the moment) but how to store it. Cut into smallish pieces (approx. 1") and freeze. Keeps for ages and is very easy to grate from frozen.

Anya Fri 20-May-16 14:56:37

I use it mainly in stir fried and the like. I grate it, add a chopped chilli, garlic and fry them for about a minute before adding the other ingredients.

Sometimes I make a 'tea' with it, leave to mash, strain and add lemon juice, a spoon of cider vinegar something to sweeten it. Hot in winter, leave to chill in summer.

gw554 Fri 20-May-16 15:07:05

This is a soup recipe I made with lots of ginger the other night:

I roast small cubes of sweet potato until they're nice and soft and browned. Then set them to one side and fry off some onions. Once the onions are soft, add the potatoes along with curry powder, turmeric and a heap of grated ginger. Keep frying them for a while until it's all soft and browned.

Then stick it all in a blender. Once it's nice and smooth, transfer it back into the pan (I use a big wok) and add some orange juice and a tin of coconut milk to make a lovely soup!

kittylester Fri 20-May-16 15:19:15

It keeps for ages in the salad drawer in the fridge. Use it in curries and Chinese food.

willsmadnan Fri 20-May-16 15:23:10

I use root ginger a lot. As Anya says it's great in a stir-fry, adds a real zing to carrots, courgettes, green beans or bean sprouts...what ever is lurking in the salad box of the fridge. It's also really good for you. I wouldn't be without it .

Grannyknot Fri 20-May-16 15:27:01

I do what anya does, and I also often "zest" it for use in salad dressings.

Funny I was thinking about ginger the other day and how I used to buy it for my granny - preserved ginger pieces and chocolate covered ginger etc - and how I could never understand what it is with old people and ginger. Now I love it! Must be an acquired taste that takes time to acquire!

Same with lavender, I always associated it with "old people" grin

Faye Fri 20-May-16 15:31:10

I use it in fried rice, cakes, soups and curries. I put a fair bit in one of my Dahl recipes, also in juices and sometimes in smoothies. Occasionally I make ginger bread men for my GC. I only use fresh ginger and have tried to grow it.

Pippa000 Fri 20-May-16 16:50:02

Fresh Ginger keeps very well in the freezer and it is much easier to grate when frozen. I use it in home made lemonade cordial, as well as Chinese and Thai recipes, as for Rhubarb and ginger cake, heaven.

Indinana Fri 20-May-16 17:26:23

As a side dish, pan fry a mixture of veg - courgettes, peppers, broccoli florets, chopped celery, red cabbage, green beans, mange tout, that sort of thing, with grated ginger, garlic, and crushed fennel seeds. When almost ready, stir in half a tin of chopped tomatoes - or fresh equivalent - then heat and serve.

TriciaF Fri 20-May-16 17:30:42

Some good ideas here - I especially like the idea of your soup gw554.
I seem to remember that it has been used as a medical remedy too - will have to look it up. Maybe something to do with old age, Grannyknot smile
Rhubarb and ginger, yes, but I'm not very successful with growing rhubarb.

Grannyknot Fri 20-May-16 19:10:50

That soup does sound nice. smile

Indinana Fri 20-May-16 21:33:13

Must say I'm tempted by that soup recipe too. I've got most of the ingredients, so think I'm going to try this over the weekend.

BBbevan Sat 21-May-16 10:19:54

Stir fries, curries, sweet and sour, soups! I use it a lot

Faye Sat 21-May-16 21:23:11

Rhubarb and ginger cake, and homemade lemon cordial with ginger, both sound very nice.

tiredoldwoman Sun 22-May-16 09:15:22

When my kids were teenagers they loved going to the fair when it came to town , but the rides always made them sick . I used to send them off with a stick of raw ginger to lick after they came off and felt queasy , it worked everytime . Works for sickie bed people too .

hulahoop Sun 22-May-16 09:22:13

Good in stir fries and drinks and of course biscuits ? Also good for nausea and travel sickness I love ginger beer as well ?☕️

grandMattie Sun 22-May-16 09:50:11

I use it in everything, from soups to stewed rhubarb, rubbed on gammon roasts to casseroles and home baked beans.
As I'm trying to lose weight [aren't we all?], instead of the usual soup in a cup, I have half a veggie stock cube with three or four slices of fresh ginger. Refreshing, warming and delicious.
it is very good for your digestion, and is blood cleansing too, so use it!

Liz46 Sun 22-May-16 09:51:20

I am going to try the soup recipe too. Thanks gw.

I made a good chutney recently (I think it was a BBC recipe) with rhubarb, ginger, apples etc. It was quick and easy.

Lynnekovan1969 Sun 22-May-16 09:52:19

Slice it very thinly and mix with creme fraise, a few herbs, salt and pepper, then spread on top of salmon fillets. Loosely wrap in foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Delicious!

granma47 Sun 22-May-16 10:01:15

I remember, as a girl, making ginger beer in a jar with a piece of a ginger plant in water which had to be fed with sugar regularly and could be split and passed on to someone else to do the same.

Greyduster Sun 22-May-16 10:16:36

Some good ideas on here. It's always in my fridge drawer, for use in curries and stir fries. It's nice with rhubarb but we don't have rhubarb that often. It's my go-to remedy for colds, made into a tea with honey and lemon. Never thought of using it in soups. There always seemed to be a ginger beer plant on the go at home when I was young; I had one given to me when my kids were young but they weren't that keen on ginger beer. I'd like another one - I think they sell them at Lakeland.

Juggernaut Sun 22-May-16 10:33:13

Peeling root ginger can be a bit of a pain, but not so much if you use a teaspoon to scrape the peel off!
Grannyknot I was obviously a strange child (and a strange adult) as I've always loved ginger in all forms. I must have been the only five year old ever to ask for chocolate ginger for Christmas!

Adair Sun 22-May-16 12:48:06

You don't need to peel it unless the peel is thick; why waste the vitamins that reside in the peel and just under it?

My favourite soup bar none is made with ginger. Chop an onion and fry a bit in butter (I use coconut oil though ) then add some coarsely chopped carrots (again, don't peel), vegetable stock and some fresh ginger (as much as you like) and simmer until carrots are soft.

Add the juice of some blood oranges and a bit of their grated peel. Simmer a bit more, add more stock if necessary, cool a bit, then blend. If greedy, reheat and serve, but I always wait a day because the flavour greatly improves.

This recipe loves tweaking, in both quantities and ingredients. Blood oranges aren't necessary (use ordinary ones ), try fresh turmeric or add a cinnamon stick instead of ginger, chicken stock instead of veg, use less onion or none at all. However you cook it, you're sure to love it!

mintsmum Sun 22-May-16 13:27:13

What an inventive lot you are - I shall definitely try some of your ideas. I've only used ginger with lemon for a hot drink and with carrots and apples in the juicer for a cold one. I shall now add it to soup and stir fries.