Gransnet forums

Food

How often do you have dessert?

(87 Posts)
TinyTwo Thu 15-Sep-16 16:50:45

I was quite shocked to realise that my 5 yr old DGD has it twice a day. She has it with her school dinner and then again with the childminder at tea time. It's only small and sometimes just a mini custard pot or something but even so... She's very active and healthy otherwise but I think that's too much and is conditioning her to expect pudding after every meal. Why do schools offer a pudding after school dinners anyway? Do kids need it? And I'm not against treats by the way, I have a very sweet tooth. But I have dessert occasionally (and love it when I do) not after every meal.

oldgoose Fri 16-Sep-16 12:59:41

I usually have a packet of maltesers after lunch and then after my main evening meal I will have one of those little pots of fruit. At the weekend we go mad and have trifle or a cheesecake.

notoveryet Fri 16-Sep-16 13:13:43

Hardly ever had sweet things, but my current medication gives me an absolute craving for sugar. Cheesecake is currently my downfall.

Jan51 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:25:38

My GC have a choice of school dinner or packed lunch. If they take a packed lunch, then DDs give them a cooked meal in the evening including pudding (ice cream or yoghurt usually). If they have a school dinner then they usually have tea in the evening (sandwich & fruit or maybe a piece of cake).

Wobblybits Fri 16-Sep-16 13:32:42

Not had a real rice pudding with toasted skin on top for ages, luvly grin

Jan51 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:34:41

OH usually has tinned fruit (in juice) and 'squirty' cream' after his dinner while I prefer fresh fruit and fat free yoghurt with a sprinkle of flaked almonds. I keep my sweet treats for when I go out for coffee with friends or out for a meal. When eating out I could happily forgo the main course. I always find the starters and desserts far more appealing.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Sep-16 13:36:09

Is anyone brave enough to do that? (Just have a starter and a pud)

Eloethan Fri 16-Sep-16 13:36:30

We rarely have a pudding at home but occasionally have one when we eat out. I'm not that bothered about puddings really so don't see the point of piling on unnecessary calories.

I think as long as children are reasonably active, have a fairly sensible, balanced diet and are not overweight, it isn't a big deal having a pudding.

I used to enjoy the puddings with school dinners and I had another dinner in the evening with my parents - but no snacking and usually just water with meals. I wasn't especially slim but certainly not overweight.

I think the problem these days is that there is too much focus on food, at the same time as an obsession with body shape and appearance. This, I feel, creates a conflict between succumbing to the ease and instant gratification of fast foods/convenience meals and the pressure of conforming to what is presented as the "ideal" body shape. This seems to have created an unnatural relationship with food where more and more people either lose their ability to recognise when they are "full" and become morbidly obese or they develop bulimia or anorexia.

Kitspurr Fri 16-Sep-16 13:42:21

Not everyday, but several times a week.

At school, many moons ago, I had pudding, (sponge & custard, ice cream & jelly, shortbread & almond custard, fruit salad & cream), and I had a pudding after tea at home. I had a very healthy diet growing up, mum was a great cook. I was a very sporty child, and always active, so I think that was helpful.

Witzend Fri 16-Sep-16 13:44:27

Jinglebells, I did hear of a restaurant that only did starters and puds!
Apparently v popular with women only groups, but don't know whether it's still going.

I will often have 2 starters and no main course - I often fancy the starters more and usually won't have room for starter and MC - at least not in places where they give you a big plateful.
Having said that I had the most minute MC ever in a smart restaurant in the City (London) not long ago. One very thin parcel of ravioli, about 3 inches square. I wanted to laugh and ask whether they were serious, but a BIL was treating us so I kept quiet, and I have to say service and everything else was very good.

Marmight Fri 16-Sep-16 14:17:30

Maybe a yoghurt or fruit and occasionally Ambrosia low fat rice with a dod of jam. Like Wobbly I can put away a carton of custard - no problem, especially if accompanied with a banana. However, I rarely eat puds when in a restaurant. I prefer a starter and mains and am usually full up by the pudding course . We always had pud at school. All the usual like Spotted Dick, chocolate sponge, marmalade pudding, bread & butter pudding - all with custard- yummy, I am salivating at the very thought..wink

Humbertbear Fri 16-Sep-16 14:31:55

We only ever have fresh fruit. I used to offer my children yogurt, fresh fruit or cheese and biscuits. It's still a family joke. GC are given fruit, yogurt and occasionally jelly (sugar free)

Sheilasue Fri 16-Sep-16 14:33:23

Yogurt mostly or fresh fruit and sometimes cheese and biscuits. I do make apple crumble or chocolate cake for weekends

pollyperkins Fri 16-Sep-16 14:34:46

Like some others I have a sweet tooth and usually have something sweet after meals- usually a yoghurt at lunchtime and fresh fruit and creme fresh in the evening( stewed fruit and custard in winter.) Funnily enough I dont always have dessert in restaurants as H likes a starter so I usually have one too and I'm too full for pudding then. Anyway I dont fancy the stodgy ones these days like sticky toffee pudding and wish they would have fruit salad or something else light on the menu.
I do find the portions are too big in restaurants and Since going to weightwatchers (and losing two stone) i have learnt to stop eating when Im full. Used to think I should finish it all as that is how I was brought up and it seemed a waste to leave it!
I agree that we always had pudding twice a day as children and were not fat so can't see the harm as long as they have plenty of exercise. I think we are all getting too obsessed about food and obesity these days. One Of my DiLs doesnt allow the children any sweet things which I think is a shame. Her children are thin as Rakes. The other probably lets hers have too many sweet things but they are all healthy and not overweight.
I think obsity is caused by lack of exercise and maybe over sweetened fizzy drinks which we didn't have. Lots of snacks/sweets between meals are bad too but think a small dessert at meals is fine.

Jane10 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:54:41

I really really prefer yoghurt and fresh fruit over creamy cakey things.
GCs seem to live on sugar as far as I can see sad

busilizzie Fri 16-Sep-16 16:30:33

yes jinglebellsfrocks. I usually eat out once a week,and depending where we go, its's usually just a main course. But sometimes it's starter and a pud, or maybe a main each and 1 pud with 2 spoons !

At home I usually have berries of some sort or mixed and low or non fat yoghurt for pud.

Legs55 Fri 16-Sep-16 16:31:36

Usually fruit especially at the moment, spoilt for choice but Nectarines are my favourites so juicy. Occassionally something sweet like Tiramisu or Cheesecake or maybe a scrumptious cream cake. cupcake

I also love cheese & biscuits after a meal. Don't make puddings these days as I'm on my own (I do miss cooking for my late DH). sad

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Sep-16 16:42:46

Never when we're on our own, unless it's stewed, baked or raw fruit from the allotment. I do snack on fresh fruit all day long though, and have a portion of Greek yoghurt with breakfast. I make proper puddings if anyone's eating with us.

We had lunch out today on the Clubcard vouchers, and had £4 to spare after our mains, so we shared a three scoop of gelato. One coconut icecream, one honey and marscapone and a lemon sorbet. To die for smile

Bijou Fri 16-Sep-16 16:57:36

I like fruit crumble. Served with crime fraiche.I make a big jar of crumble mix and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes have a pot of Ambrosia rice with stewed fruit. Bread and butter pudding made with fruit bread. I remember creamy rice pudding with the nutmeggy skin on ,the top.

Irma Fri 16-Sep-16 17:21:39

We have yogurt but I'd rather have steamed puddings, rice pudding, tapioca or anything fattening

nancyma Fri 16-Sep-16 18:10:57

Fresh fruit salad with Greek yoghurt. Aurelia can I come too, it will only take a few moments to pack ! Rhubarb and orange compote bliss .....

Grandmama Fri 16-Sep-16 18:36:15

At primary school I went home at dinnertime but at grammar school we had a formal two course meal every day usually a stodgy pud with custard. No pupils were overweight. As a child we always had pudding at home and when my girls lived at home we had pudding and custard every day - when friends came to tea they always commented on our puds and custard. We still have puds when anyone comes, sometimes DH and I have pud (always on Sundays), at the moment we are having puds to eat the apples and blackberries from the garden. There is always home-made cake in the tin. Both girls (in their thirties now) and granddaughters have never been overweight and none of them have tooth fillings. I love puds (No, I'm not overweight!).

M0nica Fri 16-Sep-16 18:41:42

We usually have fruit, fresh or stewed, after both lunch and supper, but I usually do a crumble or similar on Sundays. DH usually puts plain yoghourt on his stewed fruit. My loathing of yoghourt is on a par with my loathing of fresh milk, so I just eat the fruit as it comes

Wobblybits Fri 16-Sep-16 19:21:36

Fig crumble with single Elmlea tonight (anything to use up the figs)

Barmyoldbat Fri 16-Sep-16 19:32:50

Yes, yes, I have done that starters and a lovely pudding. Have a sweet tooth and a small appetite, it's the blessing of being an adult and not a kid, you can eat what and how you want.

Ilrina Fri 16-Sep-16 20:07:51

not really into Puds, but we normally have cheese and biscuits, usually only one water biscuit though and a bot of cheese on top, not alot, then coffee and always a square or two of choccie.