Gransnet forums

Food

How often do you have dessert?

(87 Posts)
TinyTwo Thu 15-Sep-16 16:50:45

I was quite shocked to realise that my 5 yr old DGD has it twice a day. She has it with her school dinner and then again with the childminder at tea time. It's only small and sometimes just a mini custard pot or something but even so... She's very active and healthy otherwise but I think that's too much and is conditioning her to expect pudding after every meal. Why do schools offer a pudding after school dinners anyway? Do kids need it? And I'm not against treats by the way, I have a very sweet tooth. But I have dessert occasionally (and love it when I do) not after every meal.

starbird Fri 16-Sep-16 20:27:16

When I was growing up our main meal was lunchtime every day, whether at home or at school, and we always had a pud - eg jam roly poly, steamed suet puddings, a tart or milk pudding like semolina with a spoonful of jam. Tea was bread and marge with cheese or jam, a packet of crisps was an occasional treat, and we were allowed one home made cake, but on Sundays we also had jelly or blacmange as a treat, or junket - who remembers that? and instead of fairy cakes or rock buns, there was one large Spnge or sandwich cake.

Nowadays I always have to have something sweet after dinner (in the evening) but it is usually fresh fruit and/or yogurt , however today because I did my weekly shop, it was a ready made dessert of chocolate covered profiteroles in a pot with a caramel sauce and fresh cream - I scraped the pot clean!

Barmyoldbat Fri 16-Sep-16 22:13:04

And if you didn't eat up all your dinner or lunch then no pudding because you couldn't be hungry!

cornergran Fri 16-Sep-16 22:55:44

Me? Every day I fancy one! grin.

caramel Sat 17-Sep-16 09:06:17

I usually have a yoghurt mid afternoon as that is when I need a little extra energy. I think children should be allowed one sweet treat a day. As a family we would have one "proper" pudding a week usually after a fish dish because that is a lighter meal.

Witzend Sat 17-Sep-16 10:42:15

Monica, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I really dislike like milk, cream and yoghurt.
Wish people didn't assume that everybody likes cream!
Have been to,people's houses where they have gone to a lot of trouble to make 3 lovely puds - all slathered with cream. I hate seeming like a miserable fussy eater (cream and meat fat are about the only things I really don't like) but I just can't eat them.
Actually there are quite a few people who don't like it.

Ditto milk in tea - always have to say no milk, otherwise people nearly always assume you want it and won't ask. Tea with milk tastes vile to me. I suppose it's a genetic thing - my father was a lot worse than me, wouldn't touch anything that even looked as if it had milk or cream in it. For so many years my mother would hiss, 'Get Daddy out of the kitchen!' so she could carry on pretending the Yorkshire pud he loved had no milk in it!

kinjil Sat 17-Sep-16 12:47:35

A meal is made up of 'courses'. I have always from childhood had sweet/pudding after main meal. Usually stewed/fresh fruit in season with custard or ice cream, yogurt, a pot of something if in hurry (lazy!). Don't make pies, maybe a crumble in winter very occasionally if time on a Sunday.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 12:50:37

Once in a blue moon. I usually find that one course is enough at once. If I want pudding I have it instead of something else. Yesterday, for instance, I made some custard and finished off a leftover helping of apple and blackberry crumble for breakfast.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 12:51:02

First sentence is reply to title.

bunny17 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:53:15

unfortunately I have two separate tummies - a dinner tummy and a sweet tummy. However full the dinner tummy is, I can always fit something in the sweet tummy.

JackyB Mon 19-Sep-16 12:05:51

I like to plan a pudding after a meal, there are so many lovely recipes out there I want to try. But usually I have to give up altogether halfway through the main course, and push the plate across the table to DH, so a pudding is really wasted on me.

DH can't get his head round the idea of a hot pudding - it's just not done in Germany. I would so love a crumble occasionally (instead of the main course, perhaps), but it seems daft doing it for one!

miep Mon 19-Sep-16 12:25:48

We always have homemade ice cream in the freezer (BFF would throw a paddy if there wasn't)and we have some about three times a week, with fruit/cake/sauce. If we don't have a pud, I have 3 chocolate digestives in bed - don't know what BFF has, but the chocolate seems to disappear from the fridge very fast!