Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Tipple

(76 Posts)
DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 09:15:16

Beaten to the title of "The spirit of Christmas" I hope nobody is offended if we look at the other sort!
Although they both liked a good wine when friends came round, my mother also used to enjoy Advocaat on high days and holidays and the appearance of a bottle in the cupboard was a sign Christmas was on its way. My dad used to signal the arrival of Winter with a Whisky Mac (whisky +green ginger wine)
For me, Christmas means Baileys, I would never drink it at any other time of year, but also green ginger wine (Crabbie's) when I am writing the cards, and of course mulled wine especially with the mince pies.
What's yours? wine

pensionpat Wed 16-Nov-16 09:23:38

Like Nanna from The Royle Family I don't drink. Just Baileys at Xmas. And champagne at weddings. And a sherry before dinner. And wine with dinner.

annsixty Wed 16-Nov-16 09:26:49

For me it is an occasional rum in coffee (with cream of course) on cold winter mornings leading up to Christmas. Wouldn't thank you for it any other time.

gillybob Wed 16-Nov-16 09:29:41

Baileys for me too.Lovely on a cold winters night.

Teetime Wed 16-Nov-16 09:29:52

DH enjoys a Whisky Mac at Christmas but prefers his Cognac (will make one last a whole evening). I still love my G & T but it gets a bit stronger at Christmas and its the only time of year I like a glass of port after the meal. Neither of us enjoy liqueurs. We are going to my daughter's house this year and she usually does Kir Royale but this year I have bought her some Elderflower liqueur to try with prosecco or Champagne whatever fizz she has.

Im68Now Wed 16-Nov-16 09:31:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tanith Wed 16-Nov-16 09:57:49

I feel like the original 'grinch' as I don't drink alcohol so its just the usual cup of tea for me grin

kittylester Wed 16-Nov-16 10:04:30

I have never understood the appeal of Bailey's but am prepared give it another try.grin

I like my fizz (usually, but not exclusively, prosecco) with Creme de Peche or Chambord! wine

jordana Wed 16-Nov-16 10:09:14

I like the Ballycastle irish cream from aldis - used to be an occasional tipple but now drink it regularly! Xmas tipple to me is mulled wine and sherry. Now and again, sherry

jordana Wed 16-Nov-16 10:10:08

Now and again I meant to say rum!

KatyK Wed 16-Nov-16 16:41:21

I like a glass of something sparkly with my Christmas meal. Apart from that, just my usual white wine will do me.

shandi6570 Wed 16-Nov-16 17:38:18

pensionpat I love your answer and I endorse your recommendations with the addition of a glass of Cointreau after the meal grin

Greyduster Wed 16-Nov-16 18:14:41

DH makes a good champagne cocktail (the only time we ever use sugar cubes!) - a skill he learned from one of his old Commanding Officers! They are a treat at Christmas although I'm not frantic about angostura bitters. I love Baileys and Crabbies mulled ginger wine!

bikergran Wed 16-Nov-16 18:46:17

well..I have just been introduced to " jeagermaster" lol no I don't even know how to spell it ...but its sure good shock mixture between buttercup syrup and er,mmm well cough medicine..but as it goes down your throat..mmmmmm...you get that warm feeling. Think the younger ones have it with Red Bull..hmm maybe next time smile

DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 18:47:04

Strictly medicinal of course! grin

bikergran Wed 16-Nov-16 18:47:29

" jagermeister" smile

bikergran Wed 16-Nov-16 18:48:11

of course Daphne hmm

Elegran Wed 16-Nov-16 19:34:21

DaphneBroon - Crabbie's Green Ginger is no longer green! It is quite a pleasant golden colour, and it tastes the same, but it looks quite different nowadays.

DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 19:47:38

Still tastes good elegran. There was Stone's too, wasn't there? I wonder if that still exists.
Research needed methinks grin

DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 19:49:45

This seems appropriate at this juncture grin

Elegran Wed 16-Nov-16 19:55:00

Stones still exists. It is more syrupy than Crabbies.

grannypiper Wed 16-Nov-16 20:14:39

kittylester try dropping 1or 2 malteasers into a glass of baileys,leave for a few minutes drink up then enjoy the yummy malteasers at the end

grannypiper Wed 16-Nov-16 20:20:00

a nice cheeky vimto or if i am making a party punch, 1 large bottle of m/d 20 20 strawberry, 1 bottle of vodka (size depends on strength you want) 3 litres strong cider and chopped fruit to make it look nice. BEWARE it is fall down juice

Deedaa Wed 16-Nov-16 21:00:07

Really can't stand Baileys! All that cream. My Christmas treat is a glass of Vin Santo with some cantuccini to dip in it smile

kittylester Wed 16-Nov-16 21:08:51

Can't eat malteasers unfortunately, grannypiper, they contain gluten. I'll have to stick to prosecco!grin