Gransnet forums

Food

Which do you prefer

(41 Posts)
Nannyoffourgirlsand2boyz Wed 18-Jan-17 14:05:10

When your in town which fast foot restaurant would you go to ? When I take My 11 year old grandson shopping we Always go macdonalds or Pizza Hut no where else just the choice between those 2 smile

Kittye Wed 18-Jan-17 14:09:44

My GC like Frankie & Bennys or KFC, neither of which would be my choice but it's their treat so I go along with it.

Daddima Wed 18-Jan-17 14:11:16

I've come to KFC late in life, but we also have a chain in Glasgow area of World Buffets, where my grandchildren would always want to go.

shysal Wed 18-Jan-17 14:13:01

I have only ever tried KFC, with the GCs, so that would be my choice.
I did once have a MacDonald's milk shake, but it was so cold that it gave me 'brain freeze' and I couldn't finish it. Probably a good thing because it contained as many calories as their burgers and chips!

Charleygirl Wed 18-Jan-17 14:14:29

I prefer Burger King.

henetha Wed 18-Jan-17 14:15:53

I must admit to a deep fondness for a MacDonalds burger if I am on an away day somewhere. It's my grandchildren's fault!

Kittye Wed 18-Jan-17 14:19:58

Daddima I'd forgotten about World Buffet. I've been there a couple of times with GC . Don't know which is worse WB or Mackie D's!

tanith Wed 18-Jan-17 14:22:15

We very occasionally have KFC can't abide most of them the buns taste like cardboard.

notnormal Wed 18-Jan-17 14:22:45

Fillet o fish is sometimes almost edible! Mine like McDs & also Pizza Express. I use Tesco vouchers at latter as I consider it grossly overpriced.

Greyduster Wed 18-Jan-17 14:49:04

I'd like to be able to say "none of the above", as, until recently I had not eaten any fast food for years, but GS and his friend have a once weekly after school treat to McDs and one week when DD and DP had to go somewhere, DH and I offered to take the boys, who dragged grandad off to order the food. He came back with their assortment and also a couple of cheeseburgers for us, which I was a bit sniffy about, but I was hungry so I ate it. It wasn't half bad - tasty, if a bit lacking in substance. The coffee was good too. I keep promising myself a KFC, as we used to eat it years ago, but I haven't let myself make the leap yet!

BBbevan Wed 18-Jan-17 14:56:34

We went to an excellent place at Lakeside, called Giraffe. I have not seen one on this side of Offa's Dyke though.

Alima Wed 18-Jan-17 15:51:29

Definitely Burger King. If there were more of them about Wimpey would come a close second.

kittylester Wed 18-Jan-17 16:14:34

Giraffe are in quite a few places and were owned by Tesco. I think they have now sold them.

Pizza Express is our fast food of choice. I used to love KFC and an occasional Macdonalds but neither of them are GF sadly!

chelseababy Wed 18-Jan-17 16:21:44

Pizzaexpress - there are nearly always vouchers online to make prices more reasonable.

ninathenana Wed 18-Jan-17 16:57:12

Pizza hut is our favourite. Pizza Express is too far from us.

Christinefrance Wed 18-Jan-17 16:59:20

Not many take away joints here in rural France. We have recently acquired a McD in a nearby town and KFC in Limoges. Hate McD but like an occasional KFC. Apparently there are more McDs in France than anywhere else outside USA. French people are very fond of pizza it seems so there is usually a pizzeria to be found in most areas.

TriciaF Wed 18-Jan-17 17:43:04

Same here, Christine.
But I've noticed french people buying ready meals and other prepared foods in the supermarkets, more and more. Especially pizzas, as you say.

TerriBull Wed 18-Jan-17 18:06:13

My favourite place with children is Pizza Express, although I did occasionally take my two, many years ago, on occasions to Pizza Hut when they had some sort of deal whereby they paid very little for as much pizza and salad as they could manage, I usually just ordered a glass on wine for myself, I use the word "wine" loosely because it tasted as if it had so many chemicals in it, I'm sure it could have doubled up as toilet cleaner. I also remember going to Madame Taussauds with the kids when they were young and visiting a nearby KFC afterwards, which turned out to be really, really, expensive as I broke a tooth on a chicken bone and had to have some expensive dentistry as a result. I guess if I was American I'd have sued grin

TerriBull Wed 18-Jan-17 18:08:13

I paid, not they paid.

Lillie Wed 18-Jan-17 18:13:27

You should try Macdos in France Christine. Unlike in the UK, the burger is freshly cooked in front of you, none of this taking a soggy old one off the grill shelf after it has been sweating for a while!

ninathenana Wed 18-Jan-17 19:18:00

Pizza hut still do 'eat all you can' buffet at lunch time TerriBull
The have unlimited salad and fizzy drinks in the evening too. Good value

grandma60 Wed 18-Jan-17 19:26:48

Took the grandchildren for lunch at Harvester a while ago. DGS was not impressed that the children's meals have now gone 'Healthy Eating' and his favorite macaroni cheese now had more broccoli and carrots in it than macaroni. Luckily the chocolate sundae hadn't been interfered with! grin

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Jan-17 19:55:49

Our little market town doesn't have any chain fast food outlets. We take dgc to the local cafe (aka greasy spoon) where everyone is known by name, or to the local 'American Diner' where again it's all first name terms.

Deedaa Wed 18-Jan-17 21:13:49

I take GS2 to our local garden centre. The cafe is run by Italians and they have a proper wood fired pizza oven. He does love a pizza.

rosesarered Wed 18-Jan-17 21:42:57

We don't go to fast food places ( even with DGC) and didn't with DC either.But... I once had some KFC when visiting DS at uni years ago, true, I was pretty hungry, but have to say it was very yummy.grin