Food

Pong warning!

(23 Posts)
hazel311259 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:01:06

Have to admit that am cauliflower and sprout lover! Phiff

kittylester Sat 25-Feb-17 07:49:45

I use Price's candles too.

kittylester Sat 25-Feb-17 07:49:13

I love cauliflower roasted with bacon and garlic. I've been doing it for years. Forget the smell - I'm ahead of the trend - who knew. grin

Nannanoo Fri 24-Feb-17 23:04:42

I must say I have never had a problem with steaming or simmering cauliflower, and I love it cooked this way. Roasting is definitely out in future, tho' - even with those lovely Prices candles which I agree are wonderful for conquering nasty niffs!

dirgni Fri 24-Feb-17 16:53:30

Steam cauliflower florets for 10-15 mins and you won't have a problem with smell- don't boil it!

Ramblingrose22 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:24:29

Nannanoo - I have also seen that roasted cauliflower is one of those trendy new fads. I haven't tried it yet and now I doubt if I ever will!

However, I read the other day that "cruciferous" veg like cauliflower are extremely good for you - ward off cancer and other nasties - so don't give it up!

Are you all getting your 10 a day?

SueDoku Fri 24-Feb-17 13:01:31

You're not alone Grannynise Cauliflower has always been my favourite vegetable, and I love the smell (and taste) of it...
Take comfort in the fact that there are two of us weirdos around... smile
I'm now wondering anxiously whether this means that my house always smells horrible - but I'm sure that my family would have mentioned it when they visit... <Paranoid> confused

janetta46 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:53:12

When cooking something smelly I light a couple of Price's scented tealights which are specifically for eliminating odours. They come in various incarnations and really do absorb (?) the smell.

Nanna191729 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:44:18

In the not too distant future you may be able to have your cauli and eat it - a French scientist student to whom I used to teach English was working on a research project to produce a cauliflower that did not smell when cooked.

MissHavisham1984 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:09:02

When boiling cauliflower, add a bay leaf to the water. It reduces the pong enormously.

Jayanna9040 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:03:00

Ooh, I was roasting parsnip, sweet potato etc last night and I had a little bit of cauliflower sitting in the fridge and I thought to myself I just have to see if this is true.....

Grannynise Fri 24-Feb-17 09:57:21

I've just realised that I'm very odd indeed. I like the smell of cauliflower.

MinniesMum Fri 24-Feb-17 09:54:19

We had kippers yesterday - now that really is a pong which doesn't go away quickly! Take a small pan, put a teaspoon of cloves in it, pour on boiling water and leave on a very low light for a couple of hours, checking the water level. Works every time unless, of course, you hate the smell of cloves!
I am asthmatic so most air fresheners are out of the question but the cloves are more effective and fairly cheap.

Hopehope Thu 23-Feb-17 23:43:11

Nananoo [Smile] Thank You for making me giggle quietly. I have had one hell of a stressful day and I needed that. I am sure too that when I see a Cauli in the supermarket next time I will smile thinking of this

phoenix Thu 23-Feb-17 23:28:49

The idea of a cauliflower being "born" makes for a very odd image!

ElaineI Thu 23-Feb-17 22:10:13

Did the same with kale the other day with the same effect as you Nannanoo! Won't be trying that again! Some things are not born to be roasted!

shysal Thu 23-Feb-17 16:02:12

I once whizzed up a whole cauliflower into 'rice', thinking I could use it over the following few days. By next morning my fridge ponged, and the cauli had turned green! It went in the compost bin which fortunately is at the far end of the garden.

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 15:55:09

rinouchka, grin

Nannanoo Thu 23-Feb-17 15:01:43

I opened my windows to let Doris blow through and remove the offending stink. I'm afraid the offending vegetable got taken to the waste bin 100 yds from the house, cos if I'd eaten any, I think I might have had my own personal hurricane to live with. grin

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 14:01:22

But eating a whole forest of broccoli can trigger it's own hurricane! Doris is just a soft breeze in comparison.

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 13:33:32

Cooked cauliflower can be very pongy. When I make cauliflower cheese I try to make only what will be eaten that day because leftovers, even well covered, stink the fridge out.

DD1 loves roasted broccoli. She says she can eat a whole forest of it in one sitting.

tiredoldwoman Thu 23-Feb-17 13:31:07

But how did it taste ?

Nannanoo Thu 23-Feb-17 12:42:58

Yesterday, DD who is vegan gave me a recipe which she wanted me to try - it involved roasting a whole cauliflower.
30 minutes in, and cauliflower is nicely toasted, so far so good, but my whole flat smelt like a badly kept public lavatory!shock
It must have crept out through the door, because I heard the tell tale 'Pfffft' of several neighbours using air freshening sprays in the corridor!
I was very ashamed and will never roast a cauliflower again - it's a fashionable dish at the moment, so beware - don't do it!