Gransnet forums

Food

Online food shopping , your ordering mistakes!

(55 Posts)
Menopaws Tue 28-Feb-17 04:57:15

Instead of one bag of sprouts, I got one single sprout! The label was bigger than the sprout. Goodness knows what the packer thought. Also 16 tins of baked beans when I meant 4 but ticked 4 x 4 instead.
All my own fault , did it in a hurry.
What classic mistakes have you made?

Lewlew Tue 28-Feb-17 12:13:45

Kim19 I shop with Ocado to get theirs and Waitrose products. I like their basket system as you can see your 'trolley' which is displayed across the top of the page with image icons and qty.

That said, they just do not want to 'let you go'... before you go to checkout they keep asking you if you want more of this or that, BOGOF reminders, oh hey...didn't you want 6 bottles of prosecco not 2? It's annoying, but I have caught my ordering errors this way.

I also sort my page by price, so the quantity differences are side by side, eg 200g or 400g or loose.

Discovered online grocery shopping during herniated disc waiting for operation month... never looked back. But I don't like Tesco or Sainsbury's online at all.

Have not driven to a grocery story in 2 years! We have a green grocers and butchers and a farmer's market, too, and we also walk to our high street Sainsbury's but they are a sorry excuse for a store. hmm

Blinko Tue 28-Feb-17 12:17:57

My OH ordered a framed print of a painting by an artist he likes. He thought he would place it on a wall in our living room replacing a plaque about A4 size.

I was out when the print was delivered. It was about 3ft by 2ft 6ins or whatever that is in centimetres. We needed a rapid rethink about where on earth to hang it.

grin

Yorkshiregel Tue 28-Feb-17 12:38:37

A while ago I ordered buy one get one free bag of vegetables. I ended up with 4 bags because I thought to get two you needed to put that in the box!

I did the same with chips and ended up with 4 bags, which we didn't like and had to throw away. They were all dry and went hard when cooked.

OH paid twice as much as he should have for some books because he wasn't sure the first click registered so he clicked again and got 2 copies of each book!

Yorkshiregel Tue 28-Feb-17 12:42:00

I once ordered an inspirational poster for work. It was supposed to be half the size it was and it came in a frame which I wasn't expecting either. My boss liked it so much he claimed it for his office! Well, it was his budget! :-)

Yorkshiregel Tue 28-Feb-17 12:48:53

The trouble with ordering on-line from Supermarkets imo is that they often substitute things for what you ordered. I ordered 6 chump chop steaks for dinner with family members. They changed them to small chops which was no use at all. They would only have fed 2 people. I had to go to the local butchers or they would have had no dinner. This was Tesco which I have noticed do a lot of substituting.

Charleygirl Tue 28-Feb-17 12:50:13

I ordered cat litter tray liners but received ladies panty liners instead. Not quite what I wanted or needed.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Feb-17 13:02:33

Ocado rarely substitute or have unavailable items. smile

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Feb-17 13:37:08

We once ordered 12 conifers, the picture showed well established 3' high plants. They were delivered and the whole lot fitted in a vase.

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Feb-17 13:42:06

I have had online grocery delivery for a number of years. Some odd mistakes along the way, like when the bottle of fabric softner you think is a bargain is actually a tiny bottle! BUT, I love substitutions, dont seem to get many lately, but they are always usually better than what I have ordered. I have also found that if you order really cheap loo cleaner, bleach and the like, it is never in stock for some reason and they send better, more expensive brands as a replacement. I am sometimes a bit sceptical when you order something that has loads of varieties and they can't find a substitution, like jam or loo rolls or bread!

Menopaws Tue 28-Feb-17 14:06:25

So glad it's not just me, your posts made me chuckle! I have also done a tiny bag of rice and my friend did a giant tin of coffee granules, all for the sake of getting off the chair and going to the kitchen to check the amount most of the time,
Thanks everyone!

Kim19 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:17:39

elegran, that's good thinking and you're so right about the offence it could cause. That' s me again in the 'never thought of that' mode. Cheers!

Diddy1 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:35:44

It is putting me off on-line shopping, I would probably do the same things as most Grans here.

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Feb-17 15:46:04

This is all so interesting, but I have a Tesco online shop to do!
I think its buy 2, get 2 free on Easter Eggs this week. I'm not going to buy them for 4 Grandchildren as I can not be trusted and will find a reason to scoff the lot, yes even if they are put in the loft, I can twist that DH round my little finger!!

Frannytoo Tue 28-Feb-17 15:57:17

Many years ago living in a remote area of Latin America I ordered a dozen radishes to be delivered weekly. For months 12 bunches of radishes arrived as there seemed to be now way of stopping them. Online a litre bottle of vanilla essence arrived.

Blinko Tue 28-Feb-17 16:03:37

On another occasion, I ordered four bare root rose bushes for Christmas presents. They looked quite small online. When they came they turned out to be three feet tall and about a foot square each. So they filled up half of one of the spare rooms till we could deliver them to their 'forever homes'shock.

When shopping online I find that size matters.... and it doesn't help if like me, you don't translate metric to imperial very well, having no idea what metric looks like.

JackyB Tue 28-Feb-17 16:52:37

There is still no such thing as online food shopping in Germany, at least not in the back of beyond where I live. After looking around on the net, I have found a couple of similar services, but they send the food by dpd or DHL - it is not delivered straight from your nearest supermarket.

Anyway, I love my hour a week browsing round the supermarket - it's the only time I get to actually look at things on display like that. Even if it's only choosing cucumbers, it's my special "me" time.

grandMattie Tue 28-Feb-17 17:58:02

Last Christmas, I ordered two whole salmon as it was cheap. We cut it up into portions and freeze individually.
I telephoned the manager the next day as I realised I had been charged for only one, and the cheaper one at that. It took me ages to persuade him not only that I was right, but that I wanted to pay for the jolly thing! Honesty the best policy?

icanhandthemback Tue 28-Feb-17 21:19:10

I booked online for a night at the Hotel where my son was getting married but when we turned up, they had no record of the booking. To my horror I checked the email and found I had booked for the week later. Fortunately, although I had made a non changeable booking, they were kind enough to find a room for us that night and cancel the original one.

SallyDapp Wed 01-Mar-17 03:29:12

I shop with Ocado, they are brilliant. If they put in substitutes they let you know by email so that you have time to decide if you want them or not. They do reminders of things you have ordered in the past and offers you may have missed out on prior to checkout and it's easy to compare prices to size. And they always turn up on time. Can't fault them. But I still like to choose and buy my veg myself, my excuse is so I that choose the freshness but really it's just in case I mess up quantities and end up with 8kg of bananas and 1 sprout!
Having said that if M&S did online grocery shopping I'd probably never go into a supermarket again.

Versavisa Wed 01-Mar-17 07:01:12

I used to use ASDA online but had some strange substitutions. Pork sausages instead of veggie sausages, kitchen rolls instead of toilet rolls, vastly wrong quantities of fruit and vegetables (the printed summary was right, goods wrong) and strangest of all, AA batteries instead of AAA batteries. No instructions given on how to cut them down to fit.

Gave up ASDA, switched to Ocado and never looked back. Dearer but at least I get what I want.

Grannyknot Wed 01-Mar-17 07:15:39

Question please for the Ocado shoppers - how do they compare on price? I have this idea (don't know where it comes from) that's they are a pricey store.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Mar-17 08:11:06

Grannyknot - they actively compare, via software I assume, with Tesco. So if you you buy say a tin of beans and it subsequently shows that Tesco had it cheaper on that day, you are refunded the difference within days.

I don't know the percentage but most of their goods are Waitrose and that supermarket has an upmarket image but much of Waitrose stuff is very good value (John Lewis 'never knowingly undersold' and all that)

Riverwalk Wed 01-Mar-17 08:12:56

Not sure if I made it clear, Ocado automatically do the comparing, the customer doesn't have to check then claim.

Grannyknot Wed 01-Mar-17 10:27:46

That sounds great river thanks, I'm going to check them out.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Mar-17 13:55:36

I hate to lower the tone (Ocado/Waitrose being quite posh) but I've just had my Ocado order delivered by the most handsomest young man possible - he was absolutely gorgeous! grin And charming, as he asked me if I had any carrier bags to return [sigh]

He was about 28.

I am not a cougar blush