Gransnet forums

Food

How long can I keep haddock?

(55 Posts)
chickenlegs Thu 13-Apr-17 16:13:45

I'm a very nervous cook but have invited two friends for dinner on Saturday night. I'm serving a dish of "Herb-crusted Haddock". Can I buy the haddock tomorrow (Friday) and not cook it until Saturday night, please?

Grannyknot Thu 13-Apr-17 16:16:42

I'm sure that will be fine - but why don't you ask the fishmonger in the shop? Enjoy your dinner party.

jollyg Thu 13-Apr-17 16:19:52

Bear in mind that it might have been caught a week ago, albeit well chilled with ice.

I think you will be fine, but some folk are funny re fish.

Only you know your friends and their picky ways/ or not.

Go for it.

Did you buy from a fishmonger or supermarket?

MawBroon Thu 13-Apr-17 16:26:16

Will a fishmonger be open on Good Friday?
You would need to know how long it has been kept chilled/frozen.

MawBroon Thu 13-Apr-17 16:27:23

If you are buying from a supermarket it should be fine if it goes straight into the fridge, they are generally fastidiousness about freshness.

MawBroon Thu 13-Apr-17 16:27:51

Fastidious not fastidiousness blush

Ana Thu 13-Apr-17 16:28:53

Yes, it will be fine for a couple of days in the fridge.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:12:28

The fishmonger should be able to tell you the 'use by' date.
It should be fine as I expect they will be getting in quite a lot of fresh fish for Good Friday.

M0nica Thu 13-Apr-17 17:24:32

Until it smells and feels slimy.

TriciaF Thu 13-Apr-17 18:21:11

"Benjamin Franklin famously said that guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."
But whether that means 3 days since the fish came out of the sea, or out of the freezer, I don't know.

janeainsworth Thu 13-Apr-17 18:53:00

Smoked haddock will keep longer than unsmoked, chickenlegs.
Are you doing that dDelia recipe with breadcrumbs, parsley and Parmesan?

grannypiper Thu 13-Apr-17 20:49:04

As long as it was fresh in on Friday it should be fine on Saturday.As Jalima said check that the fishmonger will be open on Good Friday.

Ana Thu 13-Apr-17 21:14:52

chickenlegs didn't say she was going to buy the haddock from a fishmonger. Supermarket or frozen will be just as good anyway and at least have a 'use by' date.

rosesarered Thu 13-Apr-17 21:19:26

I haven't seen a fishmonger for years!
However the supermarkets these days do good fresh fish.
Had haddock in herby crumbs from Waitrose last night, looked yummy but tasted of nothing.

Grannyknot Thu 13-Apr-17 21:55:56

When I say "fishmonger" I mean the people (men or women) who work behind the fresh fish counter at Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose in my area. There's a fresh fish counter at all of these supermarkets and the staff are all very knowledgeable...

chickenlegs Thu 13-Apr-17 22:41:58

I am going to buy it at Waitrose tomorrow now that I have reassurance. I will check with the person behind the counter that it's ok to keep until Saturday. I'm trying to leave all of Saturday free for cooking - and panicking smile .....

The recipe is one a friend gave me after she made it some years ago. Very simple - you coat the fish with a clove of garlic crushed in mayo, the pile on a mixture of bread crumbs, parsley, lemon juice and rind. Put on baking tray with some cherry tomatoes on the vine, sprinkle all with olive oil and cook for 15 minutes at 220.

Thank you for all your help.

Grannyknot Fri 14-Apr-17 08:15:42

The recipe sounds fab chickenlegs. Do you mean bacon rind? I'm going to try the garlic over crushed in mayonnaise trick next time I do crumbled fish.

Greyduster Fri 14-Apr-17 08:16:01

Yum! What time I shall your dinner party, and how do I get to your house??? grin

Grannyknot Fri 14-Apr-17 08:16:25

That should be "garlic clove ..."

Greyduster Fri 14-Apr-17 08:16:41

"Is" your dinner party!! Bloomin' iPad!

absent Fri 14-Apr-17 08:23:27

Fish doesn't keep as long as meat but haddock – fresh or smoked – should be fine if stored in the fridge for 24 hours. Seafood, on the other hand, should be cooked/eaten the day it is purchased.

rosesarered One of the reasons I moved from London to Darlington in North-east for a brief three years (en route to emigration) was the wonderful covered market with its fabulous fish stall (and butchers and greengrocers).

janeainsworth Fri 14-Apr-17 08:32:05

gk I would think chickenlegs means lemon rind! Can't see any reference to bacon!

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 09:18:42

Really absent that was one of the reasons you moved North......for a fish market? Must admit that was never on my list when we considered a move.grin

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 09:21:28

Oxford has a brilliant covered market ( I expect there are those on GN who know it well) but as we always go in by bus ( parking in Oxford is a nightmare) I have never fancied bringing back fish or meat.

Teetime Fri 14-Apr-17 09:54:13

When I read the OP I immediately though 'as a pet?'. grin