Gransnet forums

Food

How long can I keep haddock?

(56 Posts)
chickenlegs Thu 13-Apr-17 16:13:45

I'm a very nervous cook but have invited two friends for dinner on Saturday night. I'm serving a dish of "Herb-crusted Haddock". Can I buy the haddock tomorrow (Friday) and not cook it until Saturday night, please?

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 10:08:57

teetime.... me too! I imagined their own little pond in the garden.grin

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:19:48

My plan was to make a fish pie today (Good Friday) so I bought a selection of fish and have some prawns in the freezer.
DH said 'oh! I would like my usual mackerel fillets and chips please'.
hmm
(fresh mackerel fillets he likes to cook à la DH)

Greyduster Fri 14-Apr-17 10:41:37

We have an independent fishmonger near to where I used to live who has been in business now for three generations of his family. I remember him when I was a small child. He also sold game and I found the sight of rabbits, hares and game birds hanging upside down with their heads in little buckets rather traumatic. Now I would give my back teeth to get my hands on wild rabbit (ducks (not those kind of ducks) behind the sofa!). As for fish, we also have a market hall in the city with several excellent fishmongers. With an eye to the current diversity of the city's population there is who also sells freshwater species such as carp and perch.

Grannyknot Fri 14-Apr-17 10:55:41

Jane that's why I was puzzled! smile Could be lemon rind, maybe zested.

jollyg Fri 14-Apr-17 10:56:23

Seems to be a dearth of fishmongers with other posters , We have 2, one who prepares the raw material, per instructed, the other who has a place where the fish is prepared and delivered to the shop.

I love fish but come away from the shop with little change, mind you I would not be a fisherman. We have a neighbour who captioned a fishing boat, and tho now old still walks with a rolling gait.

I could fancy a rabbit too. There are well fed ones on OHs allotment, but shooting them is verboten. 'Ealth and Safety?

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 11:05:52

We used to get little envelopes pushed through the door asking for contributions to the Mission for Deep Sea Fishermen - in fact I did our local round for two or three years. I haven't seen one of those envelopes for years now - is the charity still going?

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 11:07:38

Lemon rind would give flavour but you could remove it before eating.

TriciaF Fri 14-Apr-17 11:17:37

There used to be a Mission to Seamen's Hostel in Blyth, my home town, but I think it has closed down now. Sponsored by a philanthropist in Gothenbug. Also a Lifeboat Association which we always donated to. No more lifeboats either.
Being a fishmonger is a hard life too, (though not dangerous of course.) Husband's grandparents had what was called a wet fish shop in London and had to go to Billingsgate at about 4am to buy their stock.

Riverwalk Fri 14-Apr-17 11:22:39

I do a similar dish and the lemon rind can be finely chopped or grated - the Parmesan adds extra piquancy.

Fish

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 11:26:29

We always support the Lifeboats Association. There is quite an active branch here.

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 13:39:37

I used to buy rabbit quite a lot years ago, anyone who knows Plymouth will know what their covered market was like ( wonderful!) and I would buy rabbit for stews, brussel sprouts still with frost on, and tasty Cornish Pasties.Yum.

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 13:41:13

I used to be a collector for The Lifeboat Association, but they stopped sending the packs out to me several years ago.

rosesarered Fri 14-Apr-17 13:41:48

Some branches must have closed Jalima?

chickenlegs Fri 14-Apr-17 14:02:41

I meant lemon zest - doh! The fishmonger at Waitrose said the fish will be fine tomorrow. Skinless haddock for four cost £20.89. Does that seem a lot? I suppose good quality meat would be the same? (I don't eat meat).

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 14:15:22

rosesarered the first time I went into Plymouth market I asked for a swede. 'Do you mean a tourrrrnip' the stallholder asked? I said 'no, I wanted a swede'. We had a debate about the difference between tourrrrnips and swedes but I couldn't convince him grin
I saw Angela Rippon in Plymouth market years ago.

We know a couple of people who are members of the local branch of the Lifeboat Association, they sometimes have fundraisers. We aren't that near to the sea either!

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Apr-17 14:16:38

DH always has to have an Ivor Dewdney pasty if we are in Plymouth.

janeainsworth Fri 14-Apr-17 14:27:11

I think fish is generally more expensive than meat chickenlegs.
I usually spend £7-8 if I'm cooking for me and mrA compared to £2-3 for chicken or £3-4 for cheaper cuts of meat. I don't buy steak very often.
I think when you're cooking for other people you tend to err on the generous side so £20 sounds fine to me.
I'm sure it will be delicious!

Greyduster Fri 14-Apr-17 14:35:47

Yes, as janea says, fish is not the cheap staple it used to be. I paid six pounds eighty a few days ago for enough smoked haddock for Mr Duster and myself. It was delicious with buttered new potatoes and spinach. Cheaper to make fish pie, but he won't eat it. Funny old beggar!

jollyg Fri 14-Apr-17 15:02:02

I collected for the Fishermans mission years ago.

It certainly made me aware of my neighbours. One a Cof S one would not give, and others who could afford would not.

Now we donate lots of books to the CA book appeal in the 2nd week May, They are a clued up bunch and get booksellers to price, so i ma happy for them to be rehomed

Deeana1 Sat 15-Apr-17 12:32:00

I live in a small Market town near London, and we have a fishmonger here. It's a family business which has been going for decades and is very popular . They used to have a shop but with the high rates in town they changed to a refrigerated mobile van which they position out on the market square 2 days a week. There's always a queue , the fish is good quality but it's very expensive .

In answer to the OPs question unsmoked fresh fish will be fine for 2 days in the fridge...

grannypiper Sun 16-Apr-17 09:18:29

CHICKENLEGS How was the Herb crusted haddock ?

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:51:40

Oh dear, no reply, I hope it was OK

grannylyn65 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:11:28

Used to be fishmonger in Perth, two in fact. Gone now sad

Cunco Mon 17-Apr-17 21:47:51

I thought of Fanny and Johnny Haddock. I must be getting old.

grannypiper Tue 18-Apr-17 09:01:56

cunco grin. GrannylynI grew up in the large fishing port of Ayr. We no longer have a fishing fleet, the harbourside where the landed and sold the catch is now flats. We have one fishmonger left and last week i was shocked and saddened when i open my front door to a fishmonger from Whitby trying to sell me fish, i live less than 10 miles from Ayr and my nearest fishing fleet is only a few miles away.