Gransnet forums

Food

chips

(142 Posts)
TriciaF Wed 19-Apr-17 18:43:35

Do you have chips often? If so, how do you make them?
I don't like the smell of deep fried food, so only cook shop-bought chips (Steakhouse) in the oven. But they're not very tasty or crisp. Cut-up pink potatoes oven roasted in olive oil are much nicer.
I have a deep fryer, but can't forget the time the oil went rancid and the smell was awful.

Coolgran65 Wed 19-Apr-17 18:45:30

I use oven chips and do them in my Acti Fryer, takes 25 minutes.

KatyK Wed 19-Apr-17 18:48:48

No fried chips here after I burnt the kitchen down by leaving the chip pan on some years ago. I rarely eat chips as I am always trying to keep my weight down. I do love them though and always pinch a couple of DH's if he has them.

yogagran Wed 19-Apr-17 19:10:05

An Actifry for me too
www.tefal.co.uk/actifry

kittylester Wed 19-Apr-17 19:13:51

Chip pan chips if we have steak on Friday night!

Ilovecheese Wed 19-Apr-17 19:24:05

Cut up potato wedges, sprayed with Frylight and roasted.

willsmadnan Wed 19-Apr-17 19:34:47

Another vote for the Actifry. It's my go-to gadget for chicken kievs, fish in breadcrumbs and sausages as well. Not to mention a quick answer for a 'starving' GS.... chicken nuggets and chips done in 10 mins. And low fat ...so not too unhealthy!

teifi Wed 19-Apr-17 19:35:10

Peel n chip up a couple of quality potatoes, spread out in a roasting pan, sprinkle a very little veg oil, a little salt & black pepper and put in hot oven for about 30-35 mins or a little longer until the chips look crisp on the outside. Test one to make sure done inside. Turn them around with a fishslice (they can stick a bit) halfway through if you remember. Easy peasy...

Alima Wed 19-Apr-17 19:41:02

We love proper chips, deep fried in a chip pan but we haven't had them for probably over 20 years now. The smell, the cleaning, the risk of fire. Now when we have chips, not that often, we use oven chips. Done as they advise we find them not too bad. Have tried chips done in an Actifry once but weren't impressed. Maybe the wrong sort of potato? CBA with chopping up wedges etc, too much like cooking and I'm not a fan.

grannypiper Wed 19-Apr-17 20:53:52

I make real chips twice a year as a treat. I make patato wedges using one cal oil spray, lovely

M0nica Wed 19-Apr-17 20:54:16

We eat chips out, but never at home.

Ana Wed 19-Apr-17 20:55:36

Never.

M0nica Wed 19-Apr-17 20:59:17

Once every year or so we do buy fish and chips and bring it home, but that is all. I would much rather have boiled potatoes with butter. I think chips are over-rated.

Greyduster Wed 19-Apr-17 21:06:18

Apart from the odd portion from the fish and chip shop, we never have chips at home, not even oven chips which I hate. I absolutely love proper deep fried chips, and I have toyed recently with buying a) a chip pan; b) a deep fat fryer, but every time, I back away from the idea, so it is obviously not meant to be! ?

annsixty Wed 19-Apr-17 21:08:05

Having been married for 58 years proper fried chips done in dripping were a weekly treat but eventually the smell through the house proved too much. I resorted to oven chips occasionally but not really liking them , we rarely have them apart from eating out, but how I long for those home fried ones.

annsixty Wed 19-Apr-17 21:09:53

I still have a chip pan with a basket.

kittylester Wed 19-Apr-17 21:36:40

So do I Ann, that's how I cook our proper chips!

annsixty Wed 19-Apr-17 22:05:31

And aren't they delicious.?

Hopehope Wed 19-Apr-17 23:47:41

I do like proper home fried chips like we had when I was a kid, but I have not cooked those myself for about 30 yrs or so. Oddly enough I never have fish and chips from the chip shop,although DH likes them, but we occasionally have oven chips, Sainsbury's own crinkle ones are ok, but nothing like the real thing

If we have fish now, which we do about three times a week I normally do it with either pasta with a garlic and tomato sauce( Homemade), or with new spuds at right time of the yr , and some veggies.

paddyann Thu 20-Apr-17 00:00:05

Home made twice fried here in a deep fat fryer,I use red skinned potatoes and dry them before frying at a moderate heat for around 5 minutes then crank up the temperature and refry ,they are crisp on the ouside and soft on the inside .My OH likes very thin fries(straw potatoes) but my grandaughter and I like them chunky,so two batches .Not often but much nicer flavour than frozen ones

ninathenana Thu 20-Apr-17 00:10:09

We had an electric deep fat fryer as a wedding presen in which I cooked 'proper' chips. I think we did replace it one time.
Now we have McCain home style oven chips. I've tried several brands but these are golden, crisp, delicious and a lot healthier

kittylester Thu 20-Apr-17 06:15:24

The trouble with most oven chips is that they contain gluten. confused

TriciaF Thu 20-Apr-17 09:14:28

Yes, I think I read that they're not simple sliced potato, but potato cooked mashed, additives put in then re-shaped to look like chips. I shouldn't buy them really.
I think we'll stick with the pink pots.cut in chunks and roasted. They always go a nice golden colour.

silverlining48 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:09:32

slimming world recipe which we use if we fancy a treat.
peel and slice/wedge potatoes and parboil or put in microwave for a few moments. put in oven tray spray with frylight (one cal per spray) add herb or spices as required, cook in oven until brown turning mid way. delicious.

nannypiano Thu 20-Apr-17 10:14:25

Don't laugh everyone ... but I have a deep fat fryer as occasionally yearn for proper home cooked chips. I can't bare the after smell which seems to permeate all through the house for days, so run an extension lead out onto the patio and cook them out there, lol