Gransnet forums

Food

chips

(143 Posts)
TriciaF Wed 19-Apr-17 18:43:35

Do you have chips often? If so, how do you make them?
I don't like the smell of deep fried food, so only cook shop-bought chips (Steakhouse) in the oven. But they're not very tasty or crisp. Cut-up pink potatoes oven roasted in olive oil are much nicer.
I have a deep fryer, but can't forget the time the oil went rancid and the smell was awful.

kittylester Thu 20-Apr-17 14:27:22

We also had a crinkle cutter for chips - they didn't call my mum Mrs Bucket for nothing.

I've done the Nigella chips and they were lovely but cleaning the oil etc after wasn't worth it!

DanniRae Thu 20-Apr-17 16:13:17

How many GN's are having chops tonight after reading all these posts? Me for one! grin

shysal Thu 20-Apr-17 16:52:32

I also tried the Nigella chips, but it took forever for the oil to get up to the required temperature and I had to keep watching. The result wasn't worth the effort.

I have a crinkle cutter too, which I use for chips on the rare occasion I make them properly, and carrots.

I am behind the times and tonight am doing an oven baked risotto following the thread on them the other day.

Victoria08 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:00:28

I have an electric deep fat fryer and fry oven chips in it. OH doesn't like them cooked in oven. They cook really quickly and are very nice.

But like others, I can't stand the smell which permeates the house afterwards.

What a great idea, nannypiano.

I might just try that.

Liz46 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:05:38

I dislike frozen chips and use an Actifry and Maris Piper potatoes, with rapeseed oil.

My young step-grandchildren stayed with us for a few days but I didn't notice them watching me in the kitchen. When their mother came to collect them they ran up to her shouting 'Nanny Liz made chips AND SHE USED POTATOES!'

Chips are obviously meant to come out of a plastic bag from the freezer.

GillT57 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:16:00

We too had a crinkle cut chip thingy. I used to hate the smell when the lard was changed and the new block went in...yuk.

rentawitch Thu 20-Apr-17 17:52:53

Go to the best chippy you can find. NO contest.

hulahoop Thu 20-Apr-17 18:10:37

Have just started buying McCain treble fried chips they are a bit dearer but worth it .i also make slimming world ones and sprinkle them with celery salt .

Bez1989 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:46:50

Oven chips for me too. I like the French Fries but have recently had M&S fresh
Chunky Cod with chunky chips. They are delicious so will be a regular on our meal times.sunshine

dianetheartist Thu 20-Apr-17 18:53:12

Hate the smell of anything being fried, and always trying to lose weight too due to long term steroids..my chips are done in oven.. sprayed in Fri-lite and then sprinkled with a couple of beef or chicken oxos for about 20 mins on gas 5 ..turn over spray again and sprinkle with another oxo for another 20 mins .. very tasty ...

W11girl Thu 20-Apr-17 19:12:16

Never been able to fry chips without burning them..SO... I either buy some from the fish and chip shop and freeze half for another time or i slice potatoes and put them in the oven with a spray of oil..depends on how much time I have.

TriciaF Thu 20-Apr-17 19:13:19

3 pages - who would have thought? Well I did really, chips are one of our main traditional foods.
One of my happiest memories as a child, about 12, going to the chippy, famished, on a fresh autumn evening and coming out with a newspaper full off hot tasty chips with salt and vinegar.
I can even remember where the shop was (Plessey Road Blyth.)

DanniRae Thu 20-Apr-17 19:38:21

My happy "chip" memory is of going Carol Singing with my pals then buying delicious chips from the fish n'chip shop with our profits. (We didn't realise that we were supposed to give the money to charity!) blush

Lilyflower Thu 20-Apr-17 19:43:45

My daughter swears by sweet potato chips which cook quickly in the oven with little oil/fat and have fewer calories. I quite like them.

When I do chips I cook Tesco's Finest thick cut chips or Waitrose own chunky home fries which have the least calories of any. Both are nice.

Blodwen1910 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:08:02

I do exactly the same as 'nannypiano'. I recall as a child, over 70 years ago, that a neighbour always cooked delicious chips on an oil-stove at the bottom of her garden.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:31:16

I make sweet potato chips, love them but DH doesn't like them. I cut them up, shake them around in a poly bag with a little oil then cook in the oven at the same time as his horrible oven chips.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:32:05

However, triple-cooked potato chips are wonderful!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 20-Apr-17 23:17:17

This is not for anyone watching their weight. I rarely have chips but when I do I like a good fatty chip! No fat fryer so use crinkle cut oven chips. Defrost on kitchen paper to get rid of water, toss in veggie oil then spread on baking parchment on a baking tray and put into a hot oven until they're hot and sizzling. Sometimes I add grated cheese halfway through.
I add extra oil because they're too dry otherwise.
No nasty frying smell either.

Coolgran65 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:03:52

I also cook the chips outside, or in the,garage.
At the same time I might have the wee primus going, on the patio, to fry fish smile

Alima Fri 21-Apr-17 07:59:37

Oh Coolgran, that rings a bell! Thinking it would come in handy I bought a steamer. Not liking all the steam it blew out turning the kitchen into a sauna, the few times I used it after that it went in the shed by the open door. Now it resides in the back of the cupboard. Recently I have also taken to chopping onions in the garden to save the pong. GKW, they pong when they are cooking so am just putting it down to age-related eccentricity.

gettingonabit Fri 21-Apr-17 08:43:03

I par boil chipped spuds and shallow fry.

I've gone off takeaway chips since I've cut down on carbs.

bikergran Fri 21-Apr-17 09:36:47

Not made any homemade chips for ages but still have new chipan and......see picture!! anyone remember these..my mum always calls it a "jimpy chip cutter" Ive had it for yrs and my mum had it for yrs (shes not asked for it back yet lol)

Cerocer13 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:30:39

I have stopped using fry light cos everyone says they are full of chemicals. Have put rapeseed oil in the bottle and give my chips a couple of sprays, does the same job and much healthier.

Cerocer13 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:31:58

Bikergran I've just bought something similar from ebay. Love my crinkle cut chips.

kittylester Fri 21-Apr-17 10:32:46

Lakeland sell a crinkle cutter for any one who wants one!