Gransnet forums

Food

Ready cooked and frozen

(7 Posts)
Pollytunnel14 Wed 31-May-17 18:08:20

Looking for a supplier of ready cooked sliced meats and other nice things that we can use...We can do the veg but need tasty meat and fish ready cooked...I see frozen beef etc in some supermarkets online but for 1 or2 pounds the quality would not be for us...I have looked at catering supplies and had an order from a company online but the food was too salty..I know do it yourself seems the best...but we are not always well enough....any suggestions or am I going to freeze my own...

M0nica Wed 31-May-17 18:10:19

I believe Iceland is very good for frozen food of all kinds. My father used to swear by them.

Grannyknot Wed 31-May-17 18:14:34

What about the Cook shops? Their food is lovely:

www.cookfood.net

Sunlover Wed 31-May-17 18:20:43

Marks and Spencer meals are so good. I have just moved to live 5 mins walk away from a M&S food store. I can see me never cooking again. I pop over most days and browse the shelves. Huge choice.

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 18:25:42

Polly if I see large joints of beef on special offer, I buy one, cook the whole damn thing, have what we want at the time, then slice and freeze the rest in sensible size packs for the two of us.

That way I know that it has been cooked the way we like it, seasoned to our taste, not too well done, not too rare etc.

With some of the cooked beef I freeze it in biggish chunks, so it can be used for casseroles or pies, others will be slices that can be used for salads or heated through in gravy for an easier roast lunch/dinner.

Pollytunnel14 Wed 31-May-17 18:41:55

I have a big slow cooker...may get a joint and cook..leave in fridge overnight slice and freeze with gravy...could do chicken too....Never thought that I would not be well enough to make a meal from scratch..OH is also not so good and do miss a nice meal...tried the cook shop but too salty for us...will get some bags or something to put it in...thanks all

cornergran Thu 01-Jun-17 04:15:18

I have done the large joint thing for years, as phoenix says it makes a much easier roast meal. If you like gammon, pollyt a joint works well in the slow cooker with a little water. I've also frozen some cooked that way and simply defrosted and eaten. It was fine. Will do so again soon in preparation for friends staying for a week. I find preparating a meal each day difficult when taking people out as well. Any type of casserole slow cooked can also be frozen but that may be harder in terms of preparation, although you could do vegetables a bit at a time. It sounds as if it can all be hard work. I hope you can find a way through for you both.