Gransnet forums

Food

The ginger drinks

(29 Posts)
em123 Thu 01-Jun-17 01:59:52

When I feel bad, I like drink some hot ginger tea to warm my body up, the ginger is a good medicine. I have ever heard the ginger coke, but I never try it. Do you like something made of ginger? What ginger drink have you drunk? brew

Greyduster Thu 01-Jun-17 07:49:12

Fresh ginger infused in hot water with lemon and honey added is my go to for colds. It has antibacterial properties. It also settles the stomach. I've never heard of ginger coke and don't think I would drink it if I had. I like Fevertree ginger ale.

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Jun-17 08:19:19

Crabbys Ginger Beer for me please :-)

Nannylovesshopping Thu 01-Jun-17 08:21:52

Pear and ginger cordial from Sainsbury's is delicious

Christinefrance Thu 01-Jun-17 08:22:00

Ginger wine, so warming.

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Jun-17 08:50:37

I love ginger with anything, and Crabbie's is a favourite. Even though I once came to grief after sloshing it too liberally into Whisky Macs, thinking it was non-alcoholic. grin

That pear and ginger cordial sounds delicious.

annodomini Thu 01-Jun-17 08:56:05

Whisky Mac - only Crabbies Green Ginger will do!

PamelaJ1 Thu 01-Jun-17 09:01:04

Belvoir ginger cordial and soda.

Morgana Thu 01-Jun-17 09:19:03

I seem to remember my mum having a phase of making non alcoholic beer. It was some sort of culture that she grew in the larder. We got tired of drinking it after a while! Though I am not totally sure it was ginger. Anyone know? (Typed vulture instead of culture originally!!!)

shysal Thu 01-Jun-17 09:26:37

When newly married, DH (now ex) and I made some ginger beer, I think it was made from a starter like Morgana describes, which you passed on to friends. One day we thought we had mice in the cupboard under the stairs so dragged all the junk out, only to discover that the squeaking was the ginger beer trying to get out of its caps!
I am not fond of ginger flavoured anything so have never tried any of the above products.

Willow500 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:42:11

My husband loves ginger beer or ginger wine. We've finally found the diet ginger Pepsi which my DIL told us about and he says that's lovely too.

We used to grow (if that's the word) ginger when I was a kid to make ginger beer and yes - we did split it and give some to friends to brew theirs. As far as I remember it was just done with ginger powder from the canister.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Jun-17 18:58:19

Oh Crabbies yummy yummy I love ginger wine and ginger beer, so fattening though My Nan used to make fantastic ginger beer and I remember how we would hear the corks popping off when their fizz was fizzed enough I ve never tried making it Did it have yeast in it or am I muddling it up with something else she made ...I was only little

Tinkerbell2208 Thu 01-Jun-17 19:11:52

Yes - yeast and sugar and powdered ginger . We are just finishing off a batch now - it gets more fizz as the days go by so you have to keep an eye on it and release the pressure before the tops pop off !

Menopaws Thu 01-Jun-17 20:06:42

Bottle green ginger and lemongrass, very nice

Tizliz Thu 01-Jun-17 20:13:22

Had a disaster making ginger beer, that very hot summer - 1976? The tops blew off, the mess was awful.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:16:07

Fentiman's Ginger Beer with a dash of lime for me please!

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:25:10

Lemon & ginger tea and 2 ginger biscuits mid morning or evening
sometimes both!
Oh forgot - toast and ginger jam with a cup of lemon & ginger tea.
Ginger anything
Big Ginger fan

em123 Sat 03-Jun-17 02:05:28

I have heard that so many people love the ginger beer, but I never try it. So what the differences between the wheat beer and ginger beer?

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-17 05:32:08

What's wheat beer I ve never heard of that one ?

I d forgotten my delicious ginger jam on my toast Cherrytree I love those ginger cubes (sweets) too but they send me to the loo if I eat too many

Grannyknot Sat 03-Jun-17 06:48:50

I like ginger too (but I didn't when I was younger) - mostly in tea or used in baking. But I was musing recently about it being something that I only ever associated with "old ladies" grin - a bit like lavender... at 67, I like both.

TriciaF Sat 03-Jun-17 22:59:57

I sometimes make a hot drink at bedtime - a small sugar cube, level teaspoon ground ginger, disolved in a little hot water. Top up with milk, microwave for a minute or so.
I sometimes have indigestion at night and this seems to settle my stomach.
Another idea (but not a drink) is to use a little grated root ginger with lemon juice and sugar, plus boiling water, cool and strain, as a syrup for fresh fruit salad.

Katek Sat 03-Jun-17 23:20:37

Just love anything ginger - also good for clearing chesty coughs! It got me thinking about other drinks, has anyone ever had lilac wine? The song of the same name is beautiful but is the wine??

Grannyknot Sun 04-Jun-17 08:05:44

tricia that's a brilliant idea (the syrup). I sometimes poach clementine segments to have as a dessert with vanilla ice cream, the ginger syrup would work with that too as a warm dish.

Beanso Sat 08-Jul-17 23:22:31

Leading up to Christmas/New Year my mum always made Ginger Wine. If I remember correctly she bought a small bottle of Yulade concentrat (which she got in the Co-op!!) You boiled water & sugar and when the sugar had dissolved, added the concentrate, mixed it well & left it to cool. Delicious with a piece of her home-made shortbread Mmmmm!

Marydoll Sat 08-Jul-17 23:41:04

I used to make ginger wine until a few years ago! I carried on when my MIL died. She used to make it for New Year. I stopped making it, as the only person who liked it was my DH.