Gransnet forums

Food

Supermarket yogurt

(24 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Fri 02-Jun-17 20:00:56

I've been buying M and S Greek style full fat yogurt for a year or two. I like to think it's doing my gut good with lactobacilli pre- or pro-biotics. But there's no mention of anything like this on the ingredients. I wrote to M and S Nutrition two days ago. So far, no reply, which is annoying, to say the least.

Maybe yogurt, in order to be yogurt, has to contain lactobacilli, and I'm just ignorant. But surely it should still be in the ingredients list.

Please can anyone help me with this?

paddyann Fri 02-Jun-17 20:24:21

I buy the easi yo powder it claims to be better,live bacteria for up to two weeks ,you just add it to hot water and leave it in the special flask overnight.I dont know if ir IS better for you but it tastes better .They say stuff thats been on the shelves along time has lost all its goodness

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:00:58

You can also buy capsules from a health food shop (kept in the fridge I think) which are much more potent than yogurt. Unfortunately we don't have a health food shop anywhere near so I do eat yogurt most days and try to vary the ones I eat as they don't all contain the same pro-biotics.

I would have thought that it should be on the pot but M&S are hopeless at dealing with queries of any kind.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 21:02:26

ps it should say on the pot that it is 'live'

Nelliemoser Sat 03-Jun-17 09:35:55

Daisyanswerdo I think different cultures of yogurt and other fermented milk drinks have different types of good gut bacteria in them.
I buy "Kefir" which has come into our stores as the Polish community have grown in our area.
www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/milk-kefir/how-to-find-milk-kefir-grains/
I have not resorted to making my own.

Elegran Sat 03-Jun-17 09:52:41

paddyann surely the Easiyo yoghurt powder has to be added to COLD water, then the container put into the outer flask surrounded by the boiling water? That is what the instructions say, and that is what I always do.

I agree that it is excellent yoghurt - and at the moment you can get the yoghurt maker for £1 from Lakeland when you buy a box of powder sachets.

grannysue05 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:05:48

Hello Daisyanswerdo. M & S say that ALL their yoghurts contain probiotic Bifodobacterium. They also say this is proven to pass through the stomach easily on its way to the gut where it has its work to do. Maybe that answers your original question on eating M & S yoghurt....keep on enjoying it!

jollyg Sat 03-Jun-17 13:24:58

Second Kefir.
Check ebay for vendors of the grains.

I found a fellow who had grains to spare so collected from his house.

A bottle of wine changed hands

MargaretX Sat 03-Jun-17 15:50:55

One thing is certain. Low fat milk cannot become yoghurt it sets with gelatine. I made my own for some years and used live lactobacillus Bulgarius. Its better to take the capsules and if you notice a difference than its got through to the lower gut if not you are wasting your money.

spottysocks Sat 03-Jun-17 17:19:57

Interesting thread, I absolutely love yogurt and was wondering about buying a yogurt maker, could anyone please tell me what additional ingrediants I would need to buy and just how difficult is it to make?

Elegran Sat 03-Jun-17 18:01:41

spottysocks It is Easypeasy. I gave a friend one for Christmas and her 13-year-old grandson now makes his own whenever he visits. For the Easiyo yoghurt maker you just buy the sachets of powder mix from Lakeland or online, and use tapwater to mix it. It is not electric, you just mix the powder with cold water in the inner container, then put boiling water into the outer container and leave it overnight. It keeps in the fridge for a week or more.

At the moment Lakeland are advertising the maker for £1 when you buy a box of sachets (4, 5 or 6 sachets in a box, depending on the variety. Each sachet make a litre of yoghurt. The boxes cost from £11.99 to £13.39) If you buy the yoghurt maker on its own it costs £16.99. They want you to get started!
www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/easiyo?q=:relevance:specialOffers:Multibuy

Lakeland sell online - postage is free on orders over £40 and it is delivered in a couple of days.

spottysocks Sat 03-Jun-17 18:22:55

Many thanks Elegran,that's an awful lot of yogurt in one go, good job it keeps for a week or more in the fridge. I've also been looking at the electric sort - I'm so tempted to buy one smile

Elegran Sat 03-Jun-17 18:33:41

I find that putting yoghurt (the Greek one with honey, grin) on my muesli each morning gets through it, and you can always use only half the packet.

mrsmopp Sat 03-Jun-17 18:43:03

I have one of those easy yo flasks but I don't use their packet mixes. I buy a carton of live yogurt from the health shop and use that to start a new batch.
Way back in the 1970s I had one of those kits with 6 little yogurt pots that fitted into an electrically heated container. I think we used to leave it on overnight, the put the pots in the fridge. I use the same principal with my easy yo kit and it works very well.

Elegran Sat 03-Jun-17 19:57:41

Way back then I used to do the pauper's version of that. I mixed a little live yoghurt into warm milk, poured it into washed covered yoghurt pots and lined them up on the kitchen radiator to set. After a while I refined this. I lined a cardboard box with expanded polystyrene foam and aluminium foil and put the pots into that, filling the gaps with polystyrene chips from a parcel. It worked very well, though after several generations I did have to buy a new pot to use as a starter.

tiredoldwoman Sun 04-Jun-17 09:32:46

Talking of yoghurt , has anyone tried the new Greek yogurt with Ginger in Aldis ?? Ooooh , yummy , yum, yum . Don't know how healthy it is as it was sweet , must have syrup in it too . An occasional treat , I think .

ElaineI Sun 04-Jun-17 09:40:59

Would it tell you online what is in it Daisyanswerdo?

Elegran Sun 04-Jun-17 10:25:57

Daisy The lactobacilli turn ordinary milk into yoghurt.

I looked online for "Marks & Spencer yoghurt lactobacilli" and found a page at health.marksandspencer.com/m/your-diet-needs/probiotics which burbled on generally about how we need probiotics and prebiotics.

At one point it said, "To help you get your daily dose of 'friendly' bacteria all our yogurts, yogurt based fruit smoothies and one a day shot drinks contain a Bifidobacterium probiotic." so I think you can take it that your M and S Greek style full fat yogurt was made with that culture.

Collgirl1 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:52:33

Did I not read somewhere that the acid in the stomach kills off a lot of the bacteria from yoghurt in any case?

I use a Lakeland electric yoghurt maker, bought from a car boot for 50pence and it works very well, although the quality of the milk brings a different result almost every time. Can be very watery.

Does anyone have a cure for uneven yoghurt?

mrsmopp Sun 04-Jun-17 12:17:36

Cure for uneven yogurt??
Have you tried stirring it?

Daisyanswerdo Sun 04-Jun-17 13:13:04

Thank you all very much for your replies. It does seem that M and S yogurt does contain the bacillus but it would help if it said so on the pack - I can't see any such information, or the word 'live'. I used to use an easy yo flask, and it was very good, but I now have very limited space in my kitchen.

The Nutrition site said it would respond within 5 days, so I'll give it another day before giving them a nudge. However, I feel reassured that I'm not wasting my money.

M0nica Sun 04-Jun-17 20:16:35

DD, left with a seriously disturbed gut after needing to take massive doses of antibiotics, was told that eating yoghourt to restore normal gut bacteria was a waste of time as most of the bacteria would be destroyed by the acids of the digestion processes long before it reached the part of the system where the gut bacteria found.

Eventually a pharmacist recommended a product called Symprove that she had to take in the morning with water and then not eat for about half an hour afterwards. That she found worked effectively, but it was quite expensive.

Daisyanswerdo Mon 12-Jun-17 22:42:24

Just a follow-up on the supermarket yogurt thread. I heard from M and S. They said that their full fat Greek yogurt does contain lactobacilli. I replied saying thank you and that it would be good to have the info on the packaging. They replied that they are revising their packaging (not because of me!) and they would be putting this info on it in future.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 22:58:58

They listened for once!
Well done Daisy