Gransnet forums

Food

summer salads

(17 Posts)
TriciaF Wed 14-Jun-17 16:47:15

Reading the thread about wooden salad bowls has led me to think about recipes for summer salads. It's not just lettuce tomato and cucumber.
I vary with my ideas, but our favourite is couscous salad.
I start the couscous - equal quantities of grain and boiling water - and prepare a dressing of oil (I like walnut), vinegar, mustard and honey.
Fork the couscous into this, then add various things according to your taste. I add raisins nuts and a small tin of sweet corn.
Chopped herbs if you like, but I don't bother. Others say chopped chives/parsley, and sweet pepper.
With other simple mixtures, plus a little cold meat or fish, it makes a healthy summer meal.

kittylester Wed 14-Jun-17 17:00:58

I used to love couscous until I had to go gluten free. I make a rice salad similar to your recipe which is great.

Mamie Wed 14-Jun-17 17:12:08

Tonight we are having salade niçoise - our own salad leaves, broad beans and cucumber with eggs, tuna, tomatoes, anchovy, olives and basil. No carbs, obviously. We often have Waldorf salad too.

phoenix Wed 14-Jun-17 17:15:22

I rue the day when I introduced Mr P to salad Nicoise!

He had never had it before, and now loves it. Fortunately he only wants it on hot sunny days.

Couscous is one of the things that I have never been able to get him to like.

Delia (may be name be forever praised)Smith has a very good selection of salad recipes in her book.

Salads can be challenging in our house, I loathe cucumber, he's not keen on tomatoes confused

phoenix Wed 14-Jun-17 17:16:54

I do enjoy Waldorf salad, as long as it is made from freshly picked Waldorfs.

willsmadnan Wed 14-Jun-17 17:33:55

I'd love a Waldorf salad tonight, but I'm right out of waldorfs ( attributed to the incomparable John Cleese)

Mamie Wed 14-Jun-17 17:36:23

...."fresh out of waldorfs" I think? ?

Liaise Wed 14-Jun-17 18:07:47

I think we have Waldorfs growing in the garden.

hildajenniJ Wed 14-Jun-17 21:29:16

I made this salad last week. I didn't have chick peas, so substituted a can of mixed beans. It was delicious, and my son was most impressed. I like a different salad, the usual lettuce cucumber and tomato gets quite boring.

paddyann Wed 14-Jun-17 21:43:33

pasta salad with sundried tomatoes and feta cheese ,my summer favourite

Willow500 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:36:34

I love salad but OH doesn't - he won't eat tomatoes and I don't like radishes, onions or crispy lettuce. I usually make two different ones for us which is a pain but he will eat it if he's got something he likes to go with it.

ninathenana Thu 15-Jun-17 17:57:16

H would think I was trying to poison him if I put cousous or rice salad in front of him sad I have to buy a small tub for myself and give him the usual 'rabbit food' which he actually likes provided I make french dressjng.

suzied Thu 15-Jun-17 18:24:54

My Oh claims salad is not "human food" but enjoys potato salad, celery and apple, pasta salad and a bean salad all accompanied with pork pie and loads of mayo and olive oil.

HildaW Thu 15-Jun-17 19:05:13

Pasta salad with pesto mixed into a simple mayo.....it can be a really low calorie one as the pesto has so much flavour. All it then needs is some finely chopped crisp veg such as celery mild onion or fennel.
Am a recent convert to couscous cooked in a good veg stock and then chopped roasted veg such as pepper, aubergine and onion added. I can across a lovely mild Moroccan seasoning mix that you can add to the stock....finished with chopped coriander and a few snippets of dried apricots.
Classic potato salad....mix lea and Perrins and French mustard into mayo....add cooked new potatoes a few chopped gherkins and chopped hard boiled egg....finish with lots of chopped chives and parsley!

TriciaF Thu 15-Jun-17 19:08:22

The trouble is a lot of people have been put off salads by the idea that they're only 'rabbit food'. Whereas a few various salads can make a complete meal.
I like apple and celery ( with a few chopped Waldorfs sprinkled over.)
Then there are salads based on cold chicken, , even cold beef,which I would like to hear about. Husband loves mayonnaise, but I don't.
Dressings make a big difference, but that's a separate subject.

Mamie Thu 15-Jun-17 19:18:34

We have salads pretty much every day for lunch in summer.
Basics are salad leaves, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, beetroot.
Other ingredients include: artichokes, broad beans, green beans, courgette, celery.
Dried apricots, figs, prunes.
Almonds, walnuts, pistaches or cashew.
Smoked duck, garlic sausage, prawns, ham, tuna, cold meat (veal, chicken, pork, beef).
Goat's cheese or blue cheese (often with pears),
Dressing usually olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

TriciaF Thu 15-Jun-17 21:22:35

Same here, Mamie.
Apart from anything else they're good for the 'transit' (as they say here.)