Gransnet forums

Food

Great British Bake Off

(37 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Aug-17 15:24:26

The new trailer has been released. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ7Jsd0yCLQ What do you think? We're divided at HQ. Some of us think it's very clever while others can't see past the vomiting eclair. confused Thoughts?

Nelliemaggs Thu 03-Aug-17 15:35:00

I think it's both clever and offputting. I don't want to watch it twice. The people are what made the programme so delightful though and I wonder if they can produce that magic with their new line-up.

TriciaF Thu 03-Aug-17 16:26:28

"The people are what made the programme - yes I agree. The presenters as well as the contestants.
I'll probably watch it though.

Teetime Thu 03-Aug-17 16:35:31

I liked it. I've been baking this afternoon for Captain's Day on Saturday and my two traybakes look quite lovely if I say so myself both Mary Berry recipes - Treacle Ginger and a Lemon Drizzle.[cake]

DanniRae Thu 03-Aug-17 16:45:06

I agree with Nelliemaggs - it is clever but I don't wish to see it again. I will not be watching the programme because the people who 'made' it for me - Mary, Sue and Mel aren't on it. I plan to watch Mary's new programme!

shysal Thu 03-Aug-17 17:09:21

I too am looking forward to the new BBC programme with Mary. I have read that the judges and presenters of the new Channel 4 Bake-Off have not been getting along with each other and don't even speak when off camera. I expect I shall give it a try, but not particularly looking forward to it.
I have been recording and watching the original first series on Really channel daily at 7pm. The bakes are far easier than those on the later shows.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Aug-17 17:28:35

Very clever! But I didn't like the vomiting eclair.

Now, have I had enough of watching programmes about delicious cakes that I will never bake and should not eat?
When does it start?

HildaW Thu 03-Aug-17 17:28:43

Shall not watch it on principle.....it was quaint and warm and friendly on the BBC....a delight to immerse yourself in.....the baking was almost secondary! Selling out for bigger money is the root of so much of what is wrong with the world.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Aug-17 17:29:40

ps are the cakes and the bread the ones baked by previous contestants on BBC? The lion bread looked familiar.

Grannyknot Thu 03-Aug-17 17:41:33

Is that an eclair vomiting, or a vol-au-vent ...?

The ad's soundtrack will soon become annoying.

Doesn't do it for me.

Alima Thu 03-Aug-17 17:45:15

I think the trailer is very good but I won't be watching the programme. I loved Bake Off, the chemistry between the four of them was just right. Like others I prefer the three presenters who will not be on the new one. Paul Hollywood was rather smug I think. Not keen on Noel Fielding either, not doing very well here, I've never been too good with change. Looking forward to Mary Berry's new programme.

TriciaF Thu 03-Aug-17 17:56:07

"Looking forward to Mary Berry's new programme."
What's Mary Berry's new programme? I'm obviously out of touch.

joannapiano Thu 03-Aug-17 18:00:38

I love the new cooking programme presented by Nadiya, past winner of Bake Off. (Nadiya's British Food Adventures.)She is so natural as a presenter.
I am not overly enthusiastic about Noel Fielding.

merlotgran Thu 03-Aug-17 18:22:33

I liked the advert and will certainly give the new GBBO a try.

devongirl Thu 03-Aug-17 18:53:07

HildaW couldn't agree more!!!!

Auntieflo Thu 03-Aug-17 18:55:57

Joannapiano, I am another fan of Nadiya's programme. She must have been a heaven sent gift for the BBC, being such a natural and charming presenter.

devongirl Thu 03-Aug-17 18:57:29

Me too, she's delightful

PamelaJ1 Thu 03-Aug-17 19:07:48

I had to watch it twice, I missed the vomiting eclair the first time ?

shysal Thu 03-Aug-17 19:56:20

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/mary-berry-bbc-new-show_uk_59804376e4b00bb8ff3943cd

Deedaa Thu 03-Aug-17 20:04:04

I think the trailer is fun, but I'm not sure the programme will live up to it.

Jane10 Thu 03-Aug-17 21:19:40

It's lovely! I was dead set against watching the ch4 version but I do love Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. She's so funny and clever and he's so daft. It's hard to imagine them working together. I will watch the first episode in the spirit of research.

Nanabilly Fri 04-Aug-17 03:18:24

I am looking forward to it .Mary Berry is so old fashioned and stuck in the 80s with her baking style and was the one thing that irritated me about bake off . Love the humour from Noel and Sandi from what I've seen of them previously but am on the fence about Pru . She seems a little bit of can foodie song to me and I'm not sure how she will work with amateurs . We shall see.
Anyone watch the sewing bee . I have always loved that one but not sure if it's back this year or been cut. No pun intended.

Greyduster Fri 04-Aug-17 07:26:05

I - who can't sew to save my life and hate the thought of it - was glued to every episode of sewing bee. Hope it comes back but it's not the same without Patrick Thingy. I loved Throwdown too. Won't watch either cookery show now - got thoroughly fed up with it towards the end of the closing series.

J52 Fri 04-Aug-17 07:46:10

I agree, it was clever. Both the vol au vent and eclair seemed to vomit! I might watch one episode to see how they present it.
What I'd really like, is to see the Allotment Challenge come back. I enjoy it because the results are more ' in the lap of the Gods'.
I do like the sewing challenge as well, but on the last series, none of the contestants seemed to shine.

Nanabilly Fri 04-Aug-17 09:00:45

I enjoyed throwdown too .
Especially Ryan?