Gransnet forums

Food

What are your favourite summer recipes?

(31 Posts)
grannymouse303 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:12:06

Does anyone else get bored of eating salads in the warm weather? I know they're quick & easy and they help you cool down, but I just want to try something else.

Open to any suggestions! smile

JackyB Mon 14-Aug-17 11:59:29

I don't think salads are quick and easy at all, especially if you are varying them to ring the changes.

How about a french stick, cut open lengthwise and filled with all sorts of salad ingredients, sliced mushrooms, sliced hard-boiled eggs, grated cheese or sliced mozzarella cheese.. Everyone can cut off a piece the size they want.

mumofmadboys Mon 14-Aug-17 12:04:32

Summer pudding with cream!!

Greenfinch Mon 14-Aug-17 12:27:13

Add a tin of red kidney beans drained to a tin of drained very small new potatoes. Add tin of tuna in oil draining the oil and reserving. Mix well. Season with pepper and mixed herbs. Add tablespoon vinegar to reserved oil and pour over. Mix well and enjoy.

annsixty Mon 14-Aug-17 12:39:43

To that I would add cubed feta cheese and olives ,lovely and a big meal.

Greenfinch Mon 14-Aug-17 12:46:47

Oh yes. I just love feta cheese.

hildajenniJ Mon 14-Aug-17 13:52:30

mumofmadboys you have the same taste as me, summer pudding every time.

I also like rice or pasta salads. My particular favourite is spiced rice salad with sultanas and apricots.

Disgruntled Tue 15-Aug-17 10:08:19

Oh, I LOVE feta salad! You can vary it with seeds, sun dried tomatoes, grapes, nuts, anchovies...............
I also like curries; cold poached salmon with new potatoes.

Catlover123 Tue 15-Aug-17 10:13:40

Greenfinch, your recipe sounds like a salade Nicoise without the green beans, eggs, olives and anchovies. It's good making up your own with whatever you have. I love eating salads as you can get so much variety. I love quiches too with loads of salad, and it's good to have now because salad is so expensive in the winter.

Daisynance123 Tue 15-Aug-17 10:16:21

Fresh pineapple with chopped mint...so refreshing on a hot day.(when we get one!)
Sugared raspberries and fresh cream.
Good quality tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella,fresh basil ,olive oil .
Halved red peppers filled with tomatoes,garlic basil and olive oil. Baked,then served with lots of French bread to mop up the juices...heaven

Rolande Tue 15-Aug-17 10:26:07

I seem to be addicted to puy lentil salads these days! With roasted Mediterranean vegs and topped with halloumi. Yum!All sorts of topping with those lentils and they keep you "regular" ;-)

henetha Tue 15-Aug-17 10:31:59

Ice cream. Lots of ice cream. With or without fruit.

Lilyflower Tue 15-Aug-17 10:38:46

I make a thing my family call 'filo pizza'. I take a smallish baking tin and oil it well. Line it with just two slices of filo pastry (oil between the layers) and cover it with Prosciutto ham, and any combination of olives, feta, roasted vegetables, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella. Bake it for 12-14 minutes at 170ish degrees. It's delicious. You can have it on its own or with salad. I often do it as a starter.

annifrance Tue 15-Aug-17 10:41:27

Roast aubergines,courgettes, garlic, tomatoes and herbs in olive oil. Cooled then tossed on to couscous with feta and anchovies.

Coronation chicken.

homemade pork pies.

Courgette fritters.

Quiche with different fillings.

Bacon and hard boiled egg pasties.

Pasta with pesto.

Caponata.

strawberrinan Tue 15-Aug-17 10:45:48

Cook some bow pasta. Chop red peppers (finely), and cube cucumber. Run the cooked pasta through cold water and pat dry. Add the peppers and cucumber along with a packet of chicken tikka and stir in mayo. The tikka reddens the sauce. It's simple but delicious!

Kim19 Tue 15-Aug-17 10:53:58

A plate of Jersey Royals with abundant French unsalted butter does it for me every time.

sweetcakes Tue 15-Aug-17 11:21:34

I made prawn Thai curried soup with noodles last night so fresh with a spriz of lime in it. I get so fed up with salads sometimes. But my absolute favourite is a plate fresh picked runner beans sliced cooked with butter and pepper on yum.

grannysue05 Tue 15-Aug-17 11:29:47

annifrance*
What is caponata ?

Daddima Tue 15-Aug-17 12:33:54

I'm with Kim on the potatoes & butter, though it's Ayrshire potatoes in these parts!

My friend always put vegetables in jelly with salad. You dissolve the jelly in half & half water & vinegar, then add, say, cucumber or celery to lime jelly, beetroot to raspberry, carrot to orange, or whatever you fancy.

grandMattie Tue 15-Aug-17 12:58:10

Couscous salad. Just make a very garlicky and gingery dressing add a tiny little bit of powdered cinnamon, and pile lots of vegetables cut small [carrot, preserved peppers, fresh peppers, dried tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber...], serve with lettuce "cups" or just lettuce for crunch and it is delicious. I put in dried fruit and pomegranate seeds as well - very North African!

devongirl Tue 15-Aug-17 13:09:35

My mother made a delicious parsley pie: quice base, mix 2 eggs into a suitable (large!) amount of chopped parsley - filling should be parsley held together by egg. Sprinkle over some chopped bacon if you like, bake as usual.

Yummy! can eat it hot or cold.

Sheilasue Tue 15-Aug-17 13:25:49

Salmon trout, with cold new potatoes, French beans. Jacket potato with fillings.
Rice mixed with peas etc, pasta with sweetcorn, tomatoes prawns.

devongirl Tue 15-Aug-17 16:59:17

I'm getting hungry !!

oldgaijin Tue 15-Aug-17 21:24:39

Ice cold gazpacho with all the usual bits plus a few prawns. Great way to use a glut of tomatoes

Shizam Wed 16-Aug-17 00:40:23

Boys were mad for grilled salmon, samphire, steamed for a minute, and boiled new potatoes with mint and a little butter. I liked it too.