Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian - eating out?

(99 Posts)
Telly Thu 24-Aug-17 17:00:19

It seems to be that opting out of eating meat is becoming increasingly common, with just about everywhere offering some sort of vegetarian option, but why do they have to be so unimaginative? I have sworn that I will not eat another mushroom risotto! I do wonder how vegans cope?

M0nica Thu 24-Aug-17 17:38:50

I think it depends where you eat. I have been in a number of restaurants offering an interesting and varied range of vegetarian dishes. I am not vegetarian but usually eat vegetarian meals when out from choice. I had a delicious Penne alla Norma at Prezzo this lunchtime (pasta, aubergine and a tasty tomato/basil sauce)

My big complaint about vegetarian dishes is the frequency with which they contain goats cheese. I HATE goats cheese and the number of times my eyes have lit up at the start of the title of a vegetarian dish only to count it out completely at the end of the line because there is that fatal ingredient.

SueDonim Thu 24-Aug-17 18:10:46

Both my dils are vegetarian. They complained about the boring mushroom risotto regime at one time but they both think the choice is so much better now.

My Parisian dil said even mushroom risotto was better than French restaurants, which mostly consisted of removing the meat from a normal dish! grin

I mostly eat vegetarian when I'm out and I often think the offerings are nicer than the meat options.

Iam64 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:41:42

City centres in the UK usually provide a good range of interesting vegetarian or vegan dishes. Even the chains like WagaMama, Noodle Bars and so on do a good range.

Primrose65 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:02:02

I'm in London Telly and DD2 is vegan. We're spoilt for choice here. I especially like the veggie and vegan places where there's a 'pay by weight' buffet - always plenty of choice and very easy to try new things.

Jalima1108 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:59:28

Vegetarian or fish portions seem quite measly in comparison to meat dishes.

M0nica Fri 25-Aug-17 08:20:20

which is probably a good thing.

maryhoffman37 Fri 25-Aug-17 11:14:01

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 50 years and I do sympathise! My bete noir is goat cheese, which I can't bear the smell of, and beetroot, which disagrees with me. So often the veggy option is a goat cheese tart with beetroot salad or coulis or something. I find it's best to eat Indian, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese or some other "ethnic" option as it gives me lots of choice while not restricting husband or other companions.

Tiggersuki Fri 25-Aug-17 11:19:15

I was totally vegetarian for 30 years but now occasionally eat fish , I can tell many horror stories about eating out in this country and abroad. But there are many excellent veggie meals available now: I agree with Wagamama in bigger places and Prezzo have good options as do many Chinese restaurants.I never find veggie food to be smaller, in fact going out with my sister recently to her local upmarket Chinese I couldn't finish my starter or main course whereas her and her partner's meat dishes were far more sparse.
A good mushroom risotto is hard to beat... make your own and use any spare to fill little peppers and bake for anothe day, spinkle with parmesan or goats cheese!

JackyB Fri 25-Aug-17 11:21:55

Here in Germany the only "ethnic" restaurant that can be found everywhere is the Italian. There is always a good choice of pastas with a mushroom, spinach or tomato sauce as, traditionally, the meat would be served as a separate course anyway. Can't say I've ever seen mushroom risotto on the menu.

Elsewhere in Germany it is sometimes difficult to find something without meat, though, certainly in traditional German restaurants where "meat" invariably means "pork".

I always assume that my sons' friends are vegetarian until told otherwise.

DS1 took us to a vegan Thai restaurant in California - quite delicious.

kittylester Fri 25-Aug-17 11:38:03

As a bit of an aside, why is the only cake on offer for gf is a chocolate brownie - usually very dry!

radicalnan Fri 25-Aug-17 11:45:02

I once had a plate of mushroom risotto that looked like dog food........I did not touch it and when the full plate was taken back to the kitchen, the irate chef came out and told me off.

Too often vegetarians get the left over veg with a sauce on at a very high price.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 25-Aug-17 11:50:23

As a veggie I love mushrooms but they, apart from in mushroom soup which I can liquidise, give me indigestion so have to avoid them .Any one else find this ?

gulligranny Fri 25-Aug-17 12:11:07

I'm not a vegetarian but we do have at least one non-meat or fish day a week. Eating out with family recently I enjoyed a delicious falafel burger; I do agree with others that there is far too much goat's cheese, which I really don't like. I love halloumi though, and I've seen that on various pub/restaurant menus recently. Mushroom risotto - ugh.

devongirl Fri 25-Aug-17 12:15:32

My bro owns a restaurant which serves Croatian food, which naturally is heavy and meat-heavy (if you see what I mean); I am vegetarian though and asked him to consider adding some vegetarian food to the meun, and now my veggie friends are happy to eat there, and I'm pleased to report the veggie options are delicious (and don't include mushroom risotto!)

chrishoops Fri 25-Aug-17 12:15:47

My daughter is vegetarian and hates mushrooms. She says mushroom risotto is always on offer and she won't eat it. More imagination needed in restaurants please!

pollyperkins Fri 25-Aug-17 12:21:53

Im not veggie but often eat vegetarian dishes when out. I too have sufferedfrom mushroom risotto - in an Italian restaurant! Also not v keen on goats cheese.
I did have a delicious squash lasagne recently though.

Lindajane Fri 25-Aug-17 12:22:37

I've been vegetarian for years (I wouldn't eat meat as a child either) and I've just started plant based diet. I have to say my hated meal was vegetarian lasagne. In the 90s it was often the only veg option! There is amazing vegan and vegetarian food around now, but you to choose sensibly. I had a great vegan pizza in Zizzi's the other day! Be more selective of where you eat if you can!

seacliff Fri 25-Aug-17 12:24:27

It's much better these days in big towns and cities, but rural east Anglia not so great I can assure you. I don't like mushrooms, don't east fish. Pubs etc seem to have one or two standard veggie options. Years ago it was veg lasagne, often horribly stodgy. Now the fashion is for risotto, usually mushroom. And they have the cheek to charge almost as much as meat dishes! I love halloumi and that's getting more popular. Luckily I also like goats cheese and beetroot!

I have really thought about eating meat again, purely because of these problems. But I can't, so will have to put up with it, as I doubt much will change soon.

cangran Fri 25-Aug-17 12:40:15

I am joining the 'I'm a veggie but I hate goat's cheese' club! Why does it turn up so often in restaurants? We are lucky though in London (and most of the UK) to find some lovely veggie options and lots of choice in shops. The last time I visited my sister in rural Canada I had to search for the last frosty package of veggie burgers (they were going to a BBQ) in the supermarket.

If you're in central London, try Tibits, a vegetarian restaurant (there are two branches now) where there's a great choice - you take what you want and pay by the weight of your plate. It's probably slightly over-priced (have to be careful not to take heavy stuff) but is a real treat.

durhamjen Fri 25-Aug-17 12:49:47

Ask has a vegan menu.
For those in London there is a very good restaurant called Vanilla Black.
They started off in York, and we were all upset when they moved to London.
In York, El Piano is vegan. Goji has a lot of vegan options, too.

devongirl Fri 25-Aug-17 12:59:44

Telly, where do you live? I hope the many posts on here recommending vegetarian/vegan eateries are helpful smile

petalmoore Fri 25-Aug-17 13:04:08

M0nica, I'm with you all the way about goat's cheese. My throat seized up even at the thought of it. Apart from that, I don't understand why all goat's cheeses are lumped together under that generic name -the many vegetarians who do like the flavour might themselves appreciate a bit more variety. It looks like they only get the kind that looks like a long cylindrical Camembert. When I cook a goat's cheese recipe at home, I can substitute something else, and I have often managed to arrange that in a restaurant as well, though I can't rely on it.
I'm also not a fan of feta - it's too salty for me - but restaurants love it because it is so white, I suppose, and because it's fashionable. At home I use Wensleydale to replace it in recipes. But I'm looking forward to the next cheese fad ... at least I think so!
I'm on a low carb diet, which is even more restrictive than a vegetarian one when it comes to eating out. But that's another story ...

annifrance Fri 25-Aug-17 13:08:09

Love vegetarian food inter alia. Vegetarians really get up my nose.

devongirl Fri 25-Aug-17 13:11:14

"vegetarians really get up my nose" - why?! surely not all vegetarians ... just because they don't want to eat meat?