Gransnet forums

Food

Food presentation in restaurants / pubs

(68 Posts)
Atqui Tue 12-Sep-17 18:37:32

Does anyone else yearn for a plate? The other day I had a very good fish pie served in a large individual pie dish on a board. Lovely vegetable sin a dish for us to share with a serving spoon- but where to put them? Another gripe is fried fish served on top of chips. Chips are a guilty pleasure as it is without extra fat dripping from the batter. Am I alone in wanting my food served in a good old fashioned way?

Kalosss Tue 22-Dec-20 11:31:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Kanaro Tue 22-Dec-20 02:24:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

M0nica Thu 14-Sep-17 22:36:21

Oh, Deedaa, I so agree. Brittany Ferries served me a mushroom risotto last year. Long narrow plate. two spoons of plain risotto one end, a couple of (unheaped) tablespoons of mushrooms the other and a collection of salad leaves in the middle.

When I go out to eat a meal I want good quality food well cooked and well served. I am more than willing to try new flavours and new foods but I want it served in a way that makes it easy to eat, savour and enjoy. If I want to look at a work of art, I will visit a Gallery.

I saw a couple of food photos in a colour supplement recently. They were so beautifully artistic that they it made them entirely offputting as dishes to eat.

Baggs Thu 14-Sep-17 21:41:42

I like a plate but I ate my breakfasts for a year in Thailand off banana leaves, out of I should say as the food was wrapped (parcelled up hygienically) in banana leaf. That tradition I didn't mind and it never caused any difficulties.

Didn't we used to wrap things like butter in cabbage leaves?

katiegee Thu 14-Sep-17 11:15:51

wink Gotta live dangerously, Chewbacca!

Atqui Thu 14-Sep-17 10:48:10

PS : to whoever said we are vindictive, I think that's a strange choice of word ( pedants please excuse the grammar). Eating out is expensive these days , and not supposed to be a challenge.

Atqui Thu 14-Sep-17 10:45:31

Oh good- I'm not alone.I must look up the We want plates website.Next time I visit the pub with the board I shall definitely ask,very nicely, for a plate.

Breeze81 Thu 14-Sep-17 10:03:20

Haha, I second the 'We Want Plates' social media group. Hilarious. I'd rather go hungry than eat some of what's being served on those groups.

judylow Wed 13-Sep-17 23:37:08

Charleygirl just ask for a spoon and they'll get one for you quite quickly.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Sep-17 23:27:28

On a shovel? hmm Makes the split breadboard I got seem quite reasonable now! grin

katiegee Wed 13-Sep-17 23:12:54

I think it can be fun, enjoyed breakfast on a shovel in Cornwall.

Deedaa Wed 13-Sep-17 22:26:46

Can I throw in a word about deconstructed meals? When I order ravioli I want something that has been "lovingly hand crafted" not some sheets of pasta floating in stock with a few dollops of meat and cheese. If I have Eton Mess I want it to be a mess! Not separate little stacks of strawberries and meringue with a tiny pot of cream.

TellNo1Ok Wed 13-Sep-17 22:19:14

i was told by the owner of a very up market coastal restaurant to ask for child size portions... after we explained they offered too much food for one person and asked for two plates and one meal ... she said they would not mind at all... especially if you just said... your portions are too big for us...

123kitty Wed 13-Sep-17 19:12:48

As long as we don't end up with those grubby baskets used to serve pub food in the 70s.

Tessa101 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:25:32

I agree, I have started asking for a plate before the waitress/waiter walks away.Its to fiddely and I don't seem to enjoy my meal the same.

luluaugust Wed 13-Sep-17 16:48:22

I was a bit surprised to have my Eton Mess served up in a plain glass jam jar - why?

MTDancer Wed 13-Sep-17 15:53:08

I don't like eating out. I avoid it like the plague. As for serving food on wooden boards - yuk! I read an article that warned of the dangers of putting wooden implements in a dishwasher as they end up with more germs than they went in with. The level of hygiene is a disgrace in most establishments and don't get me started with kitchen staff who do not wear nets or hats

Iam64 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:38:23

Yes please, a traditional dinner sized plate. I don want the food arranged in a tiny pile in the middle. I'd like the meat or fish separate from the potatoe and veggies. I like pasta or ride dishes in a bowl. I do not want a slate and I particularly don't want a wooden board. Hygienic ?

ellenemery Wed 13-Sep-17 15:12:30

My husband loves spit roast chicken but when it comes in a full size skillet with an enamel mug of gravy, a small amount of chips and the skillet spins round and round the table that was it. The waiter had to find a pile of napkins to put under the skillet to stop it falling off the table. We have not eaten there since.

CardiffJaguar Wed 13-Sep-17 14:49:33

No, you are definitely not alone. There is a proper way to serve food which stood the test of time until some chefs decided they wanted to be different. Consequently they must lose some custom but clearly not enough to make them realise that. The answer is to avoid restaurants that do not satisfy you.

An alternative is to ask the waiter/waitress before ordering to confirm that the meal will come on a 'proper' plate. If the answer is no then either get up and leave or insist on seeing the manager to give him a piece of your mind. You may not only feel better but find that you can be served your meal on a proper plate after all.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 13-Sep-17 14:24:52

scrabble That's why you got that particular bowl and not the doggrin

devongirl Wed 13-Sep-17 14:19:50

A widespread gripe! see

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/16/plates-slates-backlash-gimmicky-serving-dishes

damewithaname Wed 13-Sep-17 14:18:38

I like food served in small potjie pots smile

sarahellenwhitney Wed 13-Sep-17 14:17:46

Carolpaint Quality of service not just the food itself is the right of every customer.
We grumpies should be so lucky.
'duh, don't fink we do that' when on ordering I ask may I have extra tomato in place of the cucumber in my salad,?
Should this not be
'Certainly madam, I will ask the chef'
Wasn't so difficult was it?
Doesn't need Brain of Britain to deal with that.If such a problem and 'duh'is not capable of dealing with it then head waiter or restaurant manager.

W11girl Wed 13-Sep-17 14:16:45

Don't mind really, as long as the food is edible!!