Gransnet forums

Food

The " sugar rush".

(28 Posts)
Daddima Wed 13-Sep-17 14:38:59

My sons refuse to believe me when I say there's no such thing!
When they were small, birthday parties had sugary sweets, cakes, Coca Cola etc, and there was only the behaviour which was normal for children hyped up by attending a party.

When I worked in Early Years, one mother told me to give her son Coca Cola before she collected him, and she would know immediately. I never gave him it, but on three occasions she brought him next day and said she knew he'd had it the day before, as he was more hyperactive than normal!

adaunas Fri 15-Sep-17 13:31:34

Imperfect whether it's true or not about sugar rush, I see the same thing frequently, although a clamp down on lunch box contents has improved this. To be fair, I can see the difference in some children in the mornings on the days they come to breakfast club -cereal, toast, milk and fruit, so perhaps some quiet morning children just haven't eaten.
Interesting reading M0nica and Deedaa's comments.
Scientific fact or not, when you're dealing with children who are 'high' it's just as easy to think high carb and sugar intake as it is to think badly behaved children and much more preferable.

M0nica Sun 17-Sep-17 18:42:42

Can be addictive, not are addictive. Plenty of people - adults and children - occasionally drink sugary drinks without ever feeling a need to drink more and more of them. DD doesn't drink wine, so when out to a meal where wine is served, she orders a cola. This occasional cola has not caused her any problems.