Gransnet forums

Food

Cook book addicts !!

(89 Posts)
Shirleyw Mon 18-Sep-17 05:04:43

I'm a bit of one. Love new cook books and can't wait till certain ones come out. I used to pre- order from Amazon but I wait till tesco has them so I can look through first, also they can be cheaper than Amazon. Stein, berry, delia ( even though she doesn't bring out new books ) , Oliver, Lawson, slater and the hairy bikers are my main staples. Looking forward to Nigel slaters 'Christmas chronicles' which is due out in October.
Who are your preferred cookery writers ?

lilypollen Sat 23-Sep-17 19:17:05

Doh! Still new here. Thought I was replying to Marydoll's comment of 18th Sept re Marguerite Patten.

Daisyboots Sat 23-Sep-17 19:27:05

My Mum also bought me a Marguerite Patten cookery book the Christmas I got engaged 55 years ago. Before moving abroad 9 years ago I gave away about 50 cook books but kept about a dozen special ones including MP, the Good Housekeeping cooking encyclopedia, Mums old Cannon cookery book she got in the 1950s when she bought a new gas cooker to mention a few. We have added to them since with my husband buying all the Hairy Bikers books nit that he cooks. I still use some if the recipes from Family Circle as they have become family favourites but I do wish I still had their recipe for lardy cake because none of the ones I have found online have been as good as the Family Circle one in the 1970s.

Nowadays I like that you can save the recipes shared on FB without having to print them out as soon as you see them. I used to love cooking when we had a large family but not so much fun now when there are only two of us and most of the time watching our weight.

Maggieanne Sat 23-Sep-17 20:07:04

Oh, disappointed that no-one has mentioned Katie Stewart, I bought her "Cooking For Two" when I got married, the easiest recipes ever. I also bought many of The Cordon Bleu weekly magazines,but never used them much, only for reference and, like most of you, The Good Housekeeping Book. Such a long time ago, waste of time really, my husband would only eat a few things, preferably burnt, he's not much better now!

Marianne1953 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:26:53

I was, but now I have the Internet and this has replaced all magazines, books etc for all my hobbies. I'm now addicted to Pinterest

Purpledaffodil Sat 23-Sep-17 20:36:52

So many of my favourites listed here. I had forgotten Cooking in a Bedsitter with its Toucan Mush (cannot remember what the two cans were supposed to contain though. )
I love cookery books for reading, but like others, I tend to Google for recipes now and then print them out if I like the result. Have a wonderful boiled fruitcake I got that way.
A book I never used was the Larousse Gastronomique. I wasn't at all sad when it went missing in a house move. But the very next Christmas, I opened my parcel to find....another copy of the blasted book. I should have got an Oscar for my performance showing gratitude and excitement. grin

Caro1954 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:54:24

I remember Katie Stewart Maggieanne! Haven't got the book anymore - I wonder where it went? I've still got the Glasgow Cookery Book we used in school and I still refer to it. I like Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall's Vegetables and am looking forward to Nigel Slater's new Christmas one. Usually go online for Mary Berry's recipes.

yattypung Sun 24-Sep-17 02:58:58

Love looking at cookery books, I have loads....but I hate cooking so never actually use the recipes!!

Shirleyw Sun 24-Sep-17 05:59:19

Lol purple daffodil....I have Larousse too and rarely look at it now.
I used to have bill granger books but got bored with him so he went out with the culls I do every so often ?....

inishowen Sun 24-Sep-17 11:32:11

I bought a Margerite Patten book when I was first married in 1973. I used it a lot. Now my daughter has it and she tries various recipes from it. I love watching cookery programmes but my husband laughs as he does all the cooking now. I buy some cookery books at car boot sales if they're modern and interesting to me.

yellowcanary Sun 24-Sep-17 16:38:20

Even though I have loads of cookery books I always like looking at more - charity shops are marvellous, a couple of years ago I was in one of my local ones where ordinary books are 10p each - saw this pile of cookery books in a different place so asked how much expecting 50p/£1 etc nope - 10p . 19 cookery books £1.90 that's what I call a bargain (smile). Had to wait for the friend I was with to come back to help me carry them to the car! When I got home found I already had one of them so gave the extra copy to another friend who is also a book addict like me. I hasten to add it is not only cookery books I love, my house is like a library with all of the ones I have.

EthelJ Sun 24-Sep-17 17:59:57

I love cookery books and have so many I don't really have anywhere to keep them. I have Delia's cookery course , her xmas and summer specials. Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Mary Berry etc. I also have some that were my mums. I don't actually use them very often these days though as I tend to google recipes online as it's easier. But I can't bring myself to get rid of the books. they bring back so many happy memories as some were presents and I do like to look through them.

EthelJ Sun 24-Sep-17 18:04:38

I also have a couple of farmhouse kitchen recipe books that were my mums. She used to love the TV programme that was on around lunchtime I think in the 70s. I remember buying her the books when I was a teenager. Now they are mine. I think the only thing I have made from them though is a yoghurt cake that is lovely but very easy to make because it uses the yoghurt pot as a measure.

GrannyLondon Tue 26-Sep-17 10:55:52

Delia Smith's Evening Standard Cook Book. Printed around 1975.