Gransnet forums

Food

Recipe for Apple Cake

(20 Posts)
chickenlegs Sun 22-Oct-17 11:49:49

I don't know if anyone can help me. About a week ago, my daily email included a thread where there was a recipe for apple cake. I liked the look of it because there was no creaming of fat and sugar. Apart from the fact it contained cooking apples, that's all I remember and I can't find it now.

Does anyone have this recipe please?

eGJ Sun 22-Oct-17 13:47:56

There is a lovely apple cake recipe over in the Recipe section. It's called Mrs Kelly's Apple Cake and I made it yesterday ..................delicious!

Fennel Sun 22-Oct-17 15:47:40

an old lady i used to visit gave me this recipe for apple cake:
five cooking apples, peeled cored and sliced
one cup sr flour
one cup sugar
three eggs
half cup oil
put apples into greased baking tin
make a batter with the rest of the ingredients and pour over apples
let stand for half an hour
bake at gas six to seven for about fifty minutes
ps can't use my left hand at the moment (long story) so no digits capitals etc

lemongrove Sun 22-Oct-17 18:04:47

If you add a few dollops of mincemeat (and a spoonful of brandy) to your apple cake, it takes it to another level.
Eat it warm with cream.

lemongrove Sun 22-Oct-17 18:08:17

chicken put in apple cake in the search facility at the top if the page and then scroll down the GN threads until you find it.?

chickenlegs Sun 22-Oct-17 23:24:16

Thank you for all the replies, especially Fennel taking the trouble to type all that with a duff left hand.
I will try Mrs Kelly's cake - looks very popular.
The Search wouldn't work in this case lemongrove as the recipe was embedded in a thread about something else. I have tried it though, thank you.

jusnoneed Mon 23-Oct-17 08:01:20

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1241506-Has-anyone-got-a-good-recipe-for

This was one thread about using apples, my simple rubbed in recipe for apple cake on there plus other suggestions.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Oct-17 12:03:53

I made Mrs Kelly's apple cake this weekend. I found it rather heavy in texture.

Cubagran Tue 24-Oct-17 21:22:43

I have just made the Ed Kimber Dorset Apple Cake, cooked as per instructions and it has turned out very soggy and almost seems undercooked on the bottom half. Is it supposed to be like this? Tastes ok though.

Fennel Wed 25-Oct-17 10:44:43

The recipe I gave above turns out more like a pudding than a cake.
Maybe it's unavoidable with all the juice from the cooked apples.

Lazigirl Wed 25-Oct-17 13:31:27

I am the opposite of a domestic goddes. I did a Dorset Apple Cake from bbcgoodfood. It is supposed to take 30-40 mins but skewer kept coming out wet, and eventually left it in oven for 1 hour 40 mins! Took for GCs next day, and they scoffed it. Was still quite moist and needed custard, but reminded me of the apfelkuchen a friend's mum used to make.

jusnoneed Wed 25-Oct-17 13:35:23

The one I make I cook in a loaf tin, turn it out and cut a slice as required - the same as a fruit cake.
The recipe from Fennel does seem to be a lot of apple to flour so would expect it to be softer - sounds yummy though.

Cubagran Wed 25-Oct-17 15:10:43

Yes, my cake was from the BBC Good Food site. I am having another go at the moment, cooking it for longer at a slightly higher temperature.

Lazigirl Wed 25-Oct-17 15:38:46

Yes Cubagran think that's the answer, higher temp and longer. Very tasty when eventually cooked.

Parsleywin Wed 25-Oct-17 15:38:58

Haha! I also did the BBC good food Dorset Apple Cake which was really gorgeous (it's my favourite type of cake) but just as others have said, it took much longer to bake than the recipe stated. I've been worrying needlessly that my oven was misbehaving!
I wonder if apples have different amounts of juice - wetness - which might account for the very damp puddingy texture some people had.

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Oct-17 16:41:33

I’m getting sick of the sight of apples (DD2’s windfalls). I made apple cakes last week, the Hairy Bikers’ recipe (very nice), and I’m just in the middle of baking five apple pies. I’ve added plums to a couple for DGS3, who likes the “I spy plum pie” page in Each Peach Pear Plum. smile I’ve also made a bottle of apple pie vodka to take to the family Hallowe’en party this weekend, for non-drivers only. And I’ve still got pounds of the things left! Any suggestions anyone?

Lazigirl Wed 25-Oct-17 16:46:24

Apple pie vodka Maggie? Sounds delicious. How do you get the pie in the bottle? smile

Fennel Wed 25-Oct-17 17:09:24

Where we live (rural France) people buy huge amounts of apples when they're cheap, about now.
I asked one lady what she did with them all and she said she makes compote, and adds some Floc de Gascogne, the locally made apperitif.

shandi6570 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:19:49

I cook down a lot of apples and freeze them in small containers for apple sauce in the months when we don't have apples from the Bramley tree. Sure lots of gransnetters do this already, but thought it worth mentioning.

Apple marmalade is another favourite in our family.

If you are feeling really brave, what about making apple wine made with 24lbs of apples, but of course you do need all the accompanying paraphernalia for this, demijohns, press etc. Uses up the excess apples though, even though it's up to a year before you can try the resulting wine.grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Oct-17 18:36:37

I’d love to try the apple wine, but we got rid of our wine making equipment years ago. DD2 and DSIL spent a small fortune last year on cider making equipment, but it wasn’t a success. smile

I think I’ll have to make room in the freezer for lots of tubs of stewed apple (sadly I just know we’d never eat more than a spoonful or two of jam or chutney). The thing is, I’m on a mission to empty the freezers ready for my Christmas stuff (2 months to go, folks grin).

I wondered that when I first came across the apple pie vodka recipe, Lazigitl! It seems it’s an American “Fall” tradition. I must say it tastes pretty good!