Gransnet forums

Food

Nigel Slater....

(34 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 07:11:47

I like his writing and recipes also I do enjoy watching him cook, find him most relaxing. I have his kitchen diaries and his latest 'Christmas chronicles' .....lovely recipes and a good read.

Alima Sun 12-Nov-17 07:39:27

One of the few (of the too many) cooking programmes I have watched. Very calming.

kittylester Sun 12-Nov-17 07:45:23

I use loads of his recipes but like him better when his hair is short!

Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 07:46:17

Oh really kitty, got to say, I like his rugged looks now lol....

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Nov-17 08:10:56

I love Nigel Slater and his magnificent house !

Chewbacca Sun 12-Nov-17 08:17:16

His autobiography, "Toast" was an excellent read. His recipes don't work for me, for some reason though. But you're right Alima, he does exude calmness.

whitewave Sun 12-Nov-17 08:33:35

I have a couple of his food diaries. Use them quite a bit. Try his trifle - it is to die for!! Make a wonderful Christmas trifle.

gillybob Sun 12-Nov-17 08:36:22

I like Nigel Slater too. I have quite a few of his cook books as well as his autobiography Toast which as Chewbacca said is an excellent read. I love watching his natural style of cooking.

Alima Sun 12-Nov-17 08:36:46

Ooh, thanks ww. Will have a look as I have to supply the pudding this year.

whitewave Sun 12-Nov-17 08:38:09

If you can’t find it alima let me know and I’ll post the recipe.

Alima Sun 12-Nov-17 09:20:21

Excuse me Shirley. Whitewave, have found his mincemeat one and a lemon one. Both sound lovely, is yours one of those?

oldgoat Sun 12-Nov-17 09:26:01

I enjoy watching his programmes but can't seem to make his recipes work -
should be OK with trifle though! I remember watching him dipping new potatoes into the middle of a hot Camembert cheese (just using his fingers) and popping them into his mouth. Ooh! I want some now.

Teetime Sun 12-Nov-17 09:53:35

I didn't realise he was on TV again - one of the few TV chefs I really like.

merlotgran Sun 12-Nov-17 09:57:03

I loved the TV adaptation of Toast. I wish they'd repeat it.

whitewave Sun 12-Nov-17 11:01:23

alima

No here is his trifle that I make.

Strawberry and poppyseed trifle - serves 8
For the cake - for a lesser occasion I buy a sponge
Butter 225g
Golden caster sugar 225g
Orange - grated zest of 1
Lemon - grated zest of 1
Plain flour 110g
Baking powder generous1/2 tsp
ground almonds 115g
Eggs 4
Poppy seeds

For the syrup
Water 250ml
Caster sugar 50g
Ginger 40g fresh
Lemon - juice of 1/2
Strawberries 250g mixed

For the cream

Mascarpone 500g
Eggs -3 separated
Caster sugar 3 tablespoons
Vanilla extract - a few drops

For the decoration

Mixed berries 500g
Double cream 250ml

Method

You will need a cake tin 22cm x 12cm lined
Oven 180/ mark 4
Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy in a mixer, then stir in the citrus zest’s. Sieve together the for and baking powder, then stir in the almonds.
Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly. With the beater at moderate speed, add the egg a little at a time to the butter and sugar. Then add the flour mixture until the batter is thick and creamy fall
Add the poppy seeds.
Transfer the mixture not the tin and bake for 40-50 mins
Cool
Make the syrup
Put the water and sugar into a saucepan to warm until the sugar has dissolved aand then add the ginger in “ pennies” . Pour in the lemon juice and set aside to infuse
When the cake is cool cut into thick slices and Paul cianto the base of and attractive glass bowl(my words smile?
Pour over the syrup (I occasionally add some booze at this stage ) holding back the ginger.
Lice the strawberries and scatter them with the raspberries over the sponge.
Mix the mascarpone, egg yolks and sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until almost stiff and fold into the mascarpone mixture spoon over fruit.
Cover the dish and refrigerate for and hour.
Purée 1/2 the mixed fruit. Sieve our seeds if you want. Whip the cream until thick, smooth over trifle leaving peaks and troughs for the purée to settle in. De
N orate with remaining fruit.
Chill for an hour before serving

Voila! What it disappear

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 11:53:32

They are doing a play based on Toast next year, starting in Manchester.
They will be passing around bread and butter pudding, and the auditorium will smell of boilrd cabbage.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 11:54:11

Sorry, boiled cabbage. Boilrd might smell better.

kittylester Sun 12-Nov-17 11:57:13

Can someone tell me when his new series is please? I've missed that.

merlotgran Sun 12-Nov-17 11:57:46

Boilrd cabbage sounds like something DH's Isle of Wight landlady would have produced along with her batterrrrred puddings.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 13:54:26

Both my mother and mother in law used to boilr their cabbage to death, along with any other vegetables. The water was probably more nutritious and tasty, but they used to throw that away.

KatyK Sun 12-Nov-17 17:10:52

I love Nigel too smile

Mapleleaf Wed 29-Nov-17 22:25:53

I'm not aware that there is a new series. Perhaps I've missed something? He has got a new book out, though, the Christmas Chronicles, which I am enjoying reading in the run up to Christmas.

Friday Wed 29-Nov-17 22:36:11

durhamjen count your blessing, I was forced to drink cabbage water ???

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Nov-17 23:16:50

My dad used to drink the cabbage water! We had steamed cabbage with leeks this evening (no cooking water to be drunk)

Wasn't there a drama about Nigel Slater's life on tv based on his book some while ago?

I love listening to him and watching him but haven't tried his recipes. Perhaps I should

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Nov-17 23:17:34

merlotgran I see you already mentioned the tv adaptation of Toast
memo to self: read the thread