Gransnet forums

Food

My vegetable soup has gone wrong - too sweet!

(17 Posts)
Doglady49 Fri 29-Dec-17 20:50:28

How did it go?

Doglady49 Fri 29-Dec-17 20:49:40

Both Delia and nigella add blue cheese and/or sour cream to their root veg soup recipe, at the last minute, as a swirl. I’m going to try that tomorrow, in my slightly too-sweet parsnip/leek/carrot soup.

chocolatepudding Tue 14-Nov-17 09:20:52

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I think I will try some soy sauce and water. I will have to force feed it to DH - but he is out today and I will be out tomorrow. We may be facing this soup for a few more days! Next time I will make plain broccoli or mushroom soup.

We recently went to a soup and pud lunch run by the local WI. The chairlady had made broccoli and Stilton soup which was delicious and far more Stilton than broccoli.

Fennel Mon 13-Nov-17 17:36:48

I don't know the answer to this one, choc pudding, but agree with others it must be from the pickle.
I have some very sweet soup at the moment, main ingredient red peppers. It's delicious.
Maybe try adding some of those?
But on second thoughts, agree with Blubell - chuck it out.

merlotgran Mon 13-Nov-17 17:21:15

Thai red curry paste and some lime juice.

Nelliemoser Mon 13-Nov-17 16:59:17

Carrots and parsnips are probably the culprits . They are both naturally very high in sugar.
Make up another volume of soup with out the carrots and parsnips and mix them together. If you can face it.

Then if you get that one too sweet then you could...... just let's not go there. wink grin

Stansgran Mon 13-Nov-17 16:58:26

I made onion soup yesterday using I think james Martins recipe which had 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. I only used 1 and it gave it a very vinegary taste which is why I would say hold back on the balsamic vinegar. It's got to be the chutney which makes it sweet so why not add soy sauce to a small amount and see if that does anything.

Scribbles Mon 13-Nov-17 16:52:01

I'm wondering if a good spoonful of Harissa paste might help? It would make your soup warm and spicy but should also counteract the sweetness, at least in part.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Nov-17 16:50:54

Chuck it out and try another time, or you may just ruin more veggies definitely the pickle I would imagine

Greyduster Mon 13-Nov-17 16:32:48

Carrots and parsnips have a fair amount of sugar in them and can make a soup or gravy sweet if you use too many. Ditto onions, but if you only used one that won’t be the culprit. Perhaps not the pickle next time. Sorry I have no useful advice to offer.

Synonymous Mon 13-Nov-17 16:09:56

This is the type of occasion I would use Umami paste as it certainly adds that 'something'. I would agree that potato is a good idea and would add a leek or two. Hope it improves to the point that you are trying to remember exactly what you did so that you can do it again!

nanaK54 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:54:41

Hmm - was maybe the pickle that did it grin

JackyB Mon 13-Nov-17 15:51:46

Neutralise it with some potatoes.

JackyB Mon 13-Nov-17 15:51:21

Re-name it chutney soup, or sweet and sour soup.

J52 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:45:46

Add some salt? Water it down? Add some balsamic vinegar, make it a bit sweet and sour?

Smithy Mon 13-Nov-17 15:44:55

What a shame, sometimes turnip makes soup taste sweet but no idea how you counteract that. I'm sure some Gnetter will be able to help.

chocolatepudding Mon 13-Nov-17 15:35:55

I enjoy making soup and this morning I made vegetable soup using an onion, some carrots, parsnips and some celery together with two beef stock cubes and a handful of pearl barley. I used my stick blender to make a smooth soup and decided to add some sandwich pickle just to give it a bit more flavour. Result - it is far too sweet! Please what can I do to get rid of the sweetness. Many thanks.