Gransnet forums

Food

Foods exclusive to your area.

(113 Posts)
Daddima Fri 01-Dec-17 12:47:09

My neighbour was telling me she was making her favourite dinner from her childhood in Manchester, of rag pudding ( mince or stew in a suet pastry), and Manchester tart ( which I’d seen a couple of times on Come Dine With Me).
I could only think of Scottish delicacies like Lorne sausage or haggis, but I know you can get Finnan haddock , Arbroath smokies,and Forfar bridies in other parts of Scotland. I can’t think of any particular recipes, mind you.
What’s local to your area?

Teetime Sun 03-Dec-17 14:50:20

Eternal pork pies - big greasy lumps of fat and gristle and gone off cheese otherwise known as Stilton. BUT as the local economy is built on this and it must be said Pedigree chum, I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Dec-17 14:19:06

My mother used to fry Cheddar cheese in the bacon fat too; sometimes the baked beans went into the bacon fat instead to give them some 'taste'.

CherryHatrick Sun 03-Dec-17 13:31:01

Talking of cheese, I can remember my mother frying Lancashire cheese along side bacon and egg. Another fry-up favourite was tomato sausage with the addition of fresh or tinned tomatoes fried in the fat that came out of the sausage, often with a sprinkle of sugar for the flavour and the whole lot poured over 2 or 3 slices of white bread. I have always been stick thin with a low cholesterol count and I put it down to my body learning to cope with large amounts of fat from a young age!

shysal Sun 03-Dec-17 11:14:51

I don't know where 'cheesegg' came from! I typed 'Oxford Blue Cheese'.

shysal Sun 03-Dec-17 11:12:20

All I can come up with for my county are Cooper's Oxford marmalade, Oxford Blue cheesegg and Banbury cakes ( elongated Eccles cakes with pointy ends).

winifred01 Sun 03-Dec-17 10:56:20

Sunday mornings in the Potteries-oat cakes for breakfast eaten with bacon, cheese or eggs. After church as a child, bought them still warm,carried them like a poultice on my chest.
Still buy them when I go back to Staffordshire.

oldgoat Sun 03-Dec-17 10:34:26

That's right blinko That's what we called pikelets in darkest Gloucestershire.

Blinko Sun 03-Dec-17 09:49:50

Round here (Black Country) Pikelets are not drop scones or scotch pancakes, or muffins or crumpets... They are those things sold in packs of six with holes in that the butter runs through when you're eating them. About 1cm thick and springy in texture. Thems pikelets!

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Dec-17 23:27:03

I used to live near Bath- Bath chitterlins (think pig intestines)
I was introduced to those delights just the other week - 'chittlins' as they are known in Bristol! Thank goodness they were not offering them to me to eat.

EllenT Sat 02-Dec-17 23:23:27

As a Lancashire child, I grew up with Lancashire hotpot (and hotpot suppers at in village events where everyone contributed a dish of it). Fierce disagreements about the exact composition, but generally a combination of lamb, onions and potatoes, sometimes carrots, with a layer of crispy potato slices on top. Heretics added a pastry lid. Parkin, Goosnargh cakes (a rich shortbread type, often with caraway), meat and potato pies, butter pies (just potato inside), parched peas on bonfire night.

Chewbacca Sat 02-Dec-17 23:01:10

It is indeed oldgoat! I've had a lemon top at Whitby, on a scorching hot summer's day and was the most wonderfully cooling thing you could imagine. Gorgeous!

oldgoat Sat 02-Dec-17 22:58:40

Icecream vendors in Whitby sell a local speciality called a lemon top which is an icecream cornet with a dollop of lemon sorbet on the top. Lovely!

oldgoat Sat 02-Dec-17 22:46:44

gadaboutgran My Mum and Dad used to enjoy chitterlins but never shared them with us, thank goodness.
Talking of disgusting offal products, we once bought some andouiette from a Continental market in York Christinefrance . It smelt so awful that even the cat wouldn't eat it.

oldgoat Sat 02-Dec-17 22:36:59

When I first met OH he took me to Hull market for a slap-up meal, Yorkshire style: a pork pie served in a cereal bowl and topped with mushy peas and mint sauce. He knew how to show a girl a good time. Don't know whether they still serve them.

oldgoat Sat 02-Dec-17 22:27:46

When I was a child in Gloucestershire, as a rare treat, my parents enjoyed a plate of elvers which had been fished from the River Severn, tossed into a frying pan while they were still alive and then doused in vinegar when they had stopped wriggling and turned white. Ugh! Looked like miniature strands of spaghetti.
We used to toast pikelets in front of the fire on a three-pronged toasting fork and plaster them with so much butter that it dripped down your arm when you bit into them. They were at least a centimetre thick and very unhealthy.

Greyduster Sat 02-Dec-17 21:05:11

CherryHatrick when DH was in the Army, one of his favourite rations when they were on field exercises was a tinned steak and kidney suet pudding, affectionately known as ‘a baby’s ‘ed!’

GadaboutGran Sat 02-Dec-17 20:51:45

I’d completely forgotten about Gypsy tart until mentioned above. I went to school in Kent but hadn’t realised it was a Kent recipe. I used to live near Bath- Bath chitterlins (think pig intestines); Bath chaps (pig cheek); Bath buns amd Sally Lunn’s from SL’s teashop. In my Leics. granny’s recipe book - Enderby Wake’s pudding (a bit like Xmas pud). I now live in Berks so I’d guess anything to do with venison or trout from the chalk streams in the West and curry in the East, or anything from Waitrose. We also have quite a few local breweries.

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:42:01

We had Gypsy Tart at school in Kent. Literally the ONLY thing I could never stand to eat so I often swapped it fir the extra first course

Smithy Sat 02-Dec-17 20:36:32

Yes Mapleaf, lease pudding. A friend if my daughter's (who lives in the south) was most indignant because they thought he was mad when asking for it in a food shop. It was to put on his ham in a stotty cake sandwich.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:03:14

A piquant cold sauce based on pureed pickled fruits (dates &c) rather than the rotted fish of Worcestershire sauce or Harvey's.
I must try it, although I do like the rotted fish of Worcestershire sauce, especially on cheese on toast or hotpot. wink

Grandmama Sat 02-Dec-17 19:04:11

Being Yorkshire through and though in my family we always had Yorkshire pudding cooked in a large tin, cut up and served with gravy as a first course - which I how I still do it. Never individual ones served with the meat and veg course.

KatyK Sat 02-Dec-17 17:58:27

Myym I've never tried making my own. Maybe I'll give it a go smile

CherryHatrick Sat 02-Dec-17 17:55:21

When I was a teenager we would go to the chippy and ask for "babby's 'ed, chips and gravy" the head being a suet pudding made with mince beef.

LouLou21 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:48:36

Pudding in the corner a dish from Sunderland that is a steamed suet pudding with onions, bit like a large dumpling.

saoirse1961 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:44:23

I’m from N Ireland I still make my own soda bread wheaten bread and potato farls in a cast iron griddle lovely!!