Gransnet forums

Food

Foods exclusive to your area.

(112 Posts)
Daddima Fri 01-Dec-17 12:47:09

My neighbour was telling me she was making her favourite dinner from her childhood in Manchester, of rag pudding ( mince or stew in a suet pastry), and Manchester tart ( which I’d seen a couple of times on Come Dine With Me).
I could only think of Scottish delicacies like Lorne sausage or haggis, but I know you can get Finnan haddock , Arbroath smokies,and Forfar bridies in other parts of Scotland. I can’t think of any particular recipes, mind you.
What’s local to your area?

CherryHatrick Fri 01-Dec-17 13:14:41

Tater 'Ash, Hotpot, Eccles cakes, pikelets...

Grannyboots1 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:30:43

Bedfordshire Clanger, which is shaped like a suet type pasty with one half minced beef and the other jam. I've not got round to trying one!

ninathenana Fri 01-Dec-17 14:33:22

Not exclusive but Gypsy Tart orriginated in Kent.

GrandmaMoira Fri 01-Dec-17 14:46:40

It may be wrong, but I've heard that gypsy tart started specifically for school dinners in Kent, rather than at home. I remember having it regularly at school.

whitewave Fri 01-Dec-17 14:52:15

Sussex pond puddings.

But I’m Cornish
So hogs pudding, saffron cake, and of course pasties amongst other stuff - all very good for those on a diet grin

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 15:02:44

It's very agricultural where we live, and there are lots of pig and duck producers. Also very good pre-soaked Tarbes beans, which dry out on the vine, and tomatoes.
So the local dish is cassoulet, a slow-cooked casserole dish, which is a combination of those things in their various forms -eg plain meat, smoked, sausages etc.
Make a huge pot, and it lasts for ages. I make a version of it, but use beef instead of pork.

paddyann Fri 01-Dec-17 15:05:37

loads of Scottish recipes ,how about Clootie dumpling ,or Skirlie .cranachan,rumbeldethumps,atholl brose,cock a leekie soup, tablet ,scotch broth made with a huge hunk of mutton, stovies....theres a huge amount of Scottish things we still eat regularly.In fact it was always a (distant) dream to open a restaurant serving only scottish food...I'd have called it the Jacobean and it would have had a sister tearoom called the Four Mary's .I even at one point had the decor sorted ...but alas life got in the way .

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 15:08:39

I come from Tyneside where they used to make Singing Hinnies, a sort of fruit scone cooked on a griddle.

Blinko Fri 01-Dec-17 15:08:44

Proper faggots, made from scratch, available from local butchers not supermarket bought things. And tomato sausage. When my parents moved further afield they always implored me to bring tomato sausage whenever I visited. I haven't come across it anywhere else so far.

Primrose65 Fri 01-Dec-17 15:17:00

I grew up in East London, so pie & mash with liquor from Kelly's in the Roman Road, with plenty of vinegar.

gillybob Fri 01-Dec-17 15:32:05

Not sure if exclusive to Tyneside but my gran always made Panhaggerty, which is a delicious dish of bacon, onions, corned beef, sliced potatoes and gravy layered on top of each other. Best served with stottie cake to soak up the gravy .

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 15:35:03

Ooh yes - I remember stottie cake!

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 15:37:03

My Yorkshire Gran used to make small Yorkshire puddings with golden syrup for pudding. Or apple pie and cheese.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:39:24

When I was young in London the eel man used to come round the pubs in the late evening, so jellied eels! Much nicer than they sound and served in a small individual pot. I can't remember what they cost as most likely the boyfriend paid!

Charleygirl Fri 01-Dec-17 15:50:23

I live in NW London so I think that it is chicken Jalfrezi here to mention one!

Paddyann have you got a recipe for stovies please? My mother used to make it but I cannot remember how.

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 15:51:52

Proper meat and potato pie, for which nothing else will do but a special local brand of relish made to a secret recipe! Curd cheese tarts; oatcakes for breakfast, fried in bacon fat; pikelets; Fat Rascals, and of course, Yorkshire pudding.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:56:21

Greyduster - my Yorkshire Mum, who moved to London when she married my Dad, used to buy what she called pikelets but I think they were what we now call crumpets - or are pikelets different?

vampirequeen Fri 01-Dec-17 16:13:35

Crumpets and pikelets are the same thing.

Hull and East Riding
Patty....a mixture of mashed potatoes and herbs (each chippie had his own recipe) dipped in batter or breadcrumbs and deep fried. Gorgeous on it's own but even better in a buttered plain cake (bread cake).

Fish and chips with mint sauce.

Sally Lunn..a sort of large iced teacake ring which can be split into portions. Slice each portion in half and spread with butter.

West Yorks
Pie and peas....warm pork or corned beef pie with mushy peas and mint sauce.

BBbevan Fri 01-Dec-17 16:24:28

Laver bread, cockles, Welsh cakes and a bit further afield, Glamorgan sausage and Caerphilly cheese.

BBbevan Fri 01-Dec-17 16:24:57

Oh, and cawl

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 16:27:31

The pikelets are indeed the same as crumpets, but where crumpets are cooked in a ring, which gives them their characteristic shape, a pikelet is a sort of freeform version of it. They are the same size, but thinner. When I was young, pikelets and oatcakes were sold house to house, usually at the weekend, by a man with a basket covered in a red check cloth.

Hilltopgran Fri 01-Dec-17 16:30:45

Bakewell Pudding, a secret receipe only available in Bakewell very different to Mr k's version of a Bakewell tart!
Pikelets are larger and thiner than crumpets and round here have currants in. Staffordshire oatcake is like a large pancake made with oatmeal, makes a great savory meal or served with traditional breakfast of eggs and bacon. In the Potteries there are Oatcake shops. Derbyshire Oatcakes are thicker than the Staffordshire ones but otherwise similar. They are often sold in butchers shops.

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 16:36:20

I bought a pack of oatcakes yesterday in Chesterfield, Hilltopgran. Looking forward to eating one with my Sunday breakfast!

paddyann Fri 01-Dec-17 16:37:45

Charleygirl this is the recipe using square sausage ,you can use cooked leftover roast beef or corned beef or even mince .My mum always used sausage .

Place onions, sausages, potatoes and stock cube into a large pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are starting to break up. ...
The dish is ready when everything is soft and the sauce is thick.
you can vary the amount of each ingredient to suit,I like loads of onions in mine