Gransnet forums

Food

What do you mean by a “ cooked breakfast”?

(39 Posts)
Daddima Tue 05-Dec-17 12:39:15

For me, it means the full fried business, eggs, bacon, Lorne sausage, black pudding, potato scones and mushrooms, but DEFINITELY NO BEANS!
I wouldn’t count toast,boiled or scrambled eggs, bacon sandwiches etc.
What say you?

etheltbags1 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:58:42

I just eat fairly simply so a cooked breakfast is a couple of scrambled eggs on toast or rarely a fried egg and bacon in a bun

Marydoll Tue 05-Dec-17 20:06:29

Daddima Thanks for the link to the Lorne sausage recipe. I may just have a go at making them.
My favourite is a fresh, buttered roll with square slice. It reminds me of my childhood.

Alima Tue 05-Dec-17 20:11:15

Thanks for the recipe Daddima, although I could do with earning some brownie points cooking may be a step too far. Will pass the info onto himself and pop to Iceland!

phoenix Tue 05-Dec-17 20:36:02

Baked beans are NOT a breakfast food!

When I had a job that involved travel and staying in various hotels, some would have a hot help yourself breakfast buffet, others had waitress service, where you could order what you wanted, one had an option whereby you could choose either continental or "full English", with no option as to what it consisted of!

The full English came with baked beans, but someone had clearly thought it through, and the beans were on the side of the plate contained in a ranking, full marks to that person!

Greyduster Tue 05-Dec-17 21:07:56

My ideal cooked breakfast would involve smoked haddock and a poached egg, or Whitby kippers. Other than that, it would be bacon, egg, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and a Derbyshire oatcake!

mollie Tue 05-Dec-17 21:11:44

Every breakfast is a cooked breakfast to me because I have to cook it! Yes, that means proper (not instant) porridge (lots of stirring), or scrambled or boiled eggs as well as the full English. Our FE has black pudding, hash browns, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes with toast (or fried bread if I dare) but it’s a rare treat these days.

grumppa Tue 05-Dec-17 21:27:28

Bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, fried bread, and hash browns if available.

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 22:29:33

I make my 'proper porridge' in a double saucepan so it doesn't need stirring and I can pop off and have a shower and it's ready for a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey when I get back.

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 22:32:27

I’m starving now reading all this! tchgrin

Daddima Wed 06-Dec-17 14:45:19

Merlotgran, I’ve just watched a programme on the Queen’s kitchen, where the chef said that Her Majesty had a “ first course”, never a “starter”.
And, well said, Phoenix; beans on toast, or with Scotch pie, fine, but NEVER with breakfast.

M0nica Wed 06-Dec-17 15:08:57

A cooked breakfast is just that, a breakfast that includes an item that has been cooked so could just be porridge. As a child a 'cooked breakfast' was something on toas;, beans, spaghetti, cheese, scrambled egg etc

A fried breakfast, very much a weekend treat, was a fried egg, rasher of bacon OR a sausage, and a small piece of fried bread and, on occasion, in season, a fried tomato, or some fried mushrooms.

Katek Wed 06-Dec-17 16:49:38

Greek yoghurt! Honey! Tsk tsk Merlot-best porridge is made with water and salt perhaps served with a splash of milk. Us hardy northern Scots can vouch for that! Still lads going around in tshirts up here!

Willow500 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:12:39

I'm not keen on fried eggs so it would be scrambled egg, mushrooms, crispy bacon, no sausage (yuk), black pudding and hash browns and definitely has to have beans with toast. For OH it would be fried egg, sausage and definitely NO beans - he sends anything back with beans on - once ate them as a child and was sick so never eaten them since!